'Golden Voice' Ted Williams Bails on Rehab

1/24/2011 5:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ted Williams -- the homeless man with the "Golden Voice" -- has left rehab against medical advice, less than two weeks after checking in for drug and alcohol dependency ... TMZ has learned.

Ted Williams Rehab

Our sources say Ted -- who decided to go to rehab earlier this month after a taping of the Dr. Phil show -- left the Origins Recovery Center in South Texas moments ago and is on his way to the airport.

Ted's girlfriend is currently in rehab at the Safe Harbor facility in Costa Mesa, California.

Lori

I am not surprised that this happened. I guess he has not hit his rock bottom yet.

Surprised NOT

and where is he getting the airfare? Oh, where he got the clothes and haircut, etc. Then here we are working or asses off just to make it week to week, whatever.

REALbarbwire7

Do not feel sorry for this guy, nor feel like he was "given the opportunity but was too scared to take it". He is right where he wants to be. Someone "took" him out of his comfort zone, and tried to make him believe he was special. He certainly was OVERLY impressed with Hollywood and everything else, considering he (used to do so well). He's a street addict. It IS sad. But it's his choice and NO one is going to change the choice he's made. I'm wondering if Mrs. Beasley is actuall D.B. Sounds like her. And her brother taught me all I know about addicts. Don't shed a tear, unless he's your family. Even then, at some point, you have to let go.

Danita

I feel bad that he wasn't able to complete rehab. First mistake was doing "Dr. Phil" with that family of his. He can't win for losing. First thing out of his mother's mouth "Don't shame me." after 20 years of not seeing her son. that other group on the phil show - out for money, not to help him. I hope he get's the help he needs - and not do it in public this time. All need time to heal....

janet

I think this was all too much too soon. Hope he can find his way to sobriety sooner than later.

Posted at 1:27 PM on Jan 24, 2011 by noneofyourbusiness
______________________________________________________

That's my point exactly. From a chance encounter to a tornado thrown out you. Whoa, slow down.

To much media hype for money and ratings.

Hey, look what we're doing for the homeless guy. Who just happens to have a nice voice. Now it's getting his voice and not the man.

scott

If this dude goes back to being a crackhead that is going to be real sad. He mentioned in his earlier interviews that he was clean and sober for over 2 years, well that seems to be a bunch of bull*hit. What a liar.

Heather

So sad that these comments proove what I know to be true. People just don't understand the mental health issues that plauge those who live on the streets. The drugs and alcohol are simply a way to cope and not the underlying issue.
Even more sad that this poor man and father was not reached with the help that he so desperately needs. It was wonderful that he was put up in a great rehab...but it parallels throwing money at a person in debt. If you don't touch on the underlying issues, he will never be helped. God Bless Ted, and his family. My prayers go out to all touched by chronic homelessness and addiction.

dd

I think Dr. Phil shouldn't have done interviews with him while in rehab...just should have left him alone for the time being.

TheMachine1

I have no ill will for the dude. You do not end up in a protracted homeless situation unless you have serious mental health problems.

npr

I sensed from his reaction to meeting his Mum whom he had not seen for awhile that he was on something. He sounded so weird when he kept calling her Mommy, Mommy. It is a shame, however, there are lots of fine people in the radio market place looking for jobs that have great voices, are hardworking, honest and have no addictions. I don't feel too sympathetic I am sorry but he was given a chance and blew it ....probably up his nose.

Michelle

To all you people calling him a loser and ungrateful, cast the first stone. This man was literally plucked from the streets of Ohio, he never claimed not to have any problems and was thrown into the spotlight by a media whirlwind. Seventy-five percent of first time rehab patients bail their first time in. Sad but true...Pray for this man, don't chastise him. Show empathy, something we as people have lost for our fellow man. God be with you Ted and I hope you find the strength to get through your addictions. xoxo

smashley

a homeless man addicted to drugs and alcohol doesn't want to change..... SHOCKER???? i think not... hes a lost cause.

JLP

I'm sorry, but Dr. Phil needs to quit exploiting people. This guy just had too much press too fast. If he'd been helped quietly and privately, he might have had success.

Look at that family Dr. Phil "helped". The hubby was cheating on the wife and the 15-y/o daughter was pregnant. Fast forward to present time and ALL of them are screwed up. The older daughter now has 3 kids with different fathers being raised by the mom and the younger daughter is on drugs. If I were Dr. Phil, I'd not even claim I knew them. Instead, he has them on his show constantly and tough talks them while they laugh behind his back.

If this is an example of Dr. Phil's work, then he needs to get another job.

smashley

and Michelle F-off with your holier than thou worthless God bullsht...

cassy

Oh well. That's it for you, Ted. You made your choice. You even blew your street begging gig.