Halle Berry's Custody War -- A Long Time Brewing

2/1/2011 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Halle Berry and Gabriel Aubry have been locked in conflict over custody of 2-year-old Nahla for months ... and much of it centers around Halle's movie career.

Halle Berry Custody Battle

Sources familiar with the case tell TMZ ... Aubry has complained when Halle leaves town it interferes with his ability to be a father.  Accommodations were made for Gabriel to accompany Halle and Nahla to London last August after he complained.

Sources say the couple has never gone to court to establish custody and visitation rights.  They have tried working it out between themselves, but the situation has now become impossible.

TMZ broke the story ... Gabriel filed for paternity last month.  Officially we're being told it was a formality.  In fact, it was a prelude to what has become a bitter custody fight.

Halle Berry

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Fran

Some women can't get it through thir heads that fathers do have equal rights to their children.

Vegas Diamond

This chick will quit her movie career b4 she let this Mo-fo have visitation rights! better hope the Judge is not biased by her being a Celebrity. Sure Gabriel wants his Nahla, but he wants $$ too, don't get it twisted.

oldwiseone

Hmmmm... A hissy fit when media reports Nahla is black? Highly doubtful!!!
Really? Seriously? Come on people, dont believe all that is said without merit! Honestly, I bet this so called "hissy fit" Gabriel supposedly has, is because the baby isn't just black! He's right! She is bi-racial! I doubt he said that she isn't black-she's white!
IF this really even happened at all...ya know, the media loves to SPIN stuff!!! Unfortunately in this case, it will make a possibly innocent man look like a racist. Shame!

MensFamilyLaw

I'm a divorce lawyer who's written about this phenomena in my book, A MAN'S GUIDE TO CHILD CUSTODY available on Amazon and my website as a download http://www.mensfamilylaw.com

If she wants to be able to travel freely with the child, she has to make accommodations for him to have regular and continuous contact with the baby during this the critical attachment phase of the child's life. To prevent the child from having a relationship with her father at this juncture would be equal to child abuse.

She has to choose to either keep the baby in one place so that the father can have a regular and consistent relationship with the baby, or allow him to come along. If he has to travel because of her, then she should have to pay child support for the expenses incurred.

lona

Wow!!! So much hate in so many people. Sorry but the court will not grant him full custody. It wasn't Holly who said he call her the N-word. I don't know either one of these people so i am in no position to take sides. However, as long as a mother is fit, capable, and can provide a stable home for a child she should be the one to have custody. Don't be haters it's not good for your health. If anyone has the need to be concern with others business, then get the facts. Don't be so bias and take sides, it about a child.

lona

Suesieq

All I know, is that Halle Berry can't keep a man. She can't hold on to any man black or white. With all that money and good looks she can't keep man. I think it's because she's to bossy, and she thinks she too good. I can imagine her saying, "I'm Halle Berry, should are lucky to have me!".

Suesieq

keepingitreal

Many people in this thread are scary. We don't know Halle or Gabriel, but what we do know is that sometimes people are just not meant to be parents. So stop saying how much Nahla NEEDS her father. A bad father is more damaging than no father at all. Get it together people.

I'm just glad she never married him. Smart move. He makes infinately less than she and he's virtually unknown so... he has more to gain by making this a publicity stunt.

That being said, Nahla is Black. I'm mixed and belive you me, everyone treats me as a Black woman, so I'm not even going to hear people ramble on about mixed race and White. Once you have Black in you, you're Black.

Angie

Halle is stupid and she never was dealing with a full deck. The man has a right to his child and to have the agreement formalized so no matter what personal issues they have, he is not prevented from seeing his child. Gabriel is not a baby sitter who works for Halle based on her schedule - she has enough money to hire someone for that purpose. Halle was also the one who threw the first punch in the press which in and of itself, says a lot....

Chee Chee

Shut up haters,
No one knows the whole story and it is always two sides. Halle stated when Gabriel came to pick Nahla that the baby was screaming and did not want go with him. Being that the child is so small and not knowing why the baby is screaming. I would not want the baby to go if she does not want to. So she just does not want Nahla to go unsupervised she is looking out for Nahla's safety she does know if something is going on their in their visits together.

aurora

Why should Gabriel Aubry be forced to follow Halle around when she is making a movie? He is not the nanny, but Nahla's father. He should be able to spend qulaity time with his daughter without Halle looking over his shoulder. This man met her criteria to impregnate here, but now she acts like he is a criminal that can not be trusted with his own child.

Karyn

Halle has a history of failed relationships including two marriages (David Justice and Eric Benet). She swore up and down that she’d never get married again, as if marriage was the problem. So, she gets with this Aubry guy and decides to have a child. I don’t know if she ever wanted (or thought she needed) a father for her child or if she wanted just a sperm donor. Either way, she’s locked into a bitter custody fight with this guy. Ironically, she didn’t need to get married to get into bitter court battles.

leticia

I admire Halle shes a good mother and she is doing what any normall mother would do.Halle stay strong and close to God.I also want to say to the disrespectful Tramp from Golds Gym,you wish you looked like Halle... And people don't know that Gabriel,he has issues,Stop Hateing Hater.Stay Strong Halle
you rock.