Jean-Claude Van Damme -- 4% Tipper

2/2/2011 8:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jean-Claude Van Damme dealt a low blow to his waiter at an L.A. nightclub -- tipping only $40 on a $940 bill ... and TMZ has obtained a copy of the receipt.

0201_jean_claude_tip_EX
It all went down at Drai's in Hollywood this past Sunday night. No word on exactly what the former action star ordered ... but upon racking up the hefty tab ... our source says JCVD dropped a tip that amounts to just over 4%.

We're told the wait staff was not pleased. No duh.

In fairness to Van Damme -- he's from abroad. Folks in Brussels don't live by the 15-20 percent rule. Calls to Van Damme and his people weren't returned.

UPDATE: A rep for Drai's says a 15% gratuity was included on Jean-Claude's tab ... and that his $40 was on top of that amount.

Captain Balls

Who the **** cares. As if any server deserves more than $40. Hell, have them cook the food, prepare it and then serve it and MAYBE they'd deserve more. They're just bringing you your food.

Why is this news worthy?

Good for him. He's a smart guy.

shiela

I don't care where he is from. He knows tipping is more here. You dont go to another country and not learn their rules, customs, etc.

Dat chic

Woooooooow, that man has a right to tip however much he wants. He didn't have to give anything especially if the service was bad. The way I see it is $40.00 is alot and I'm pretty sure over 1/2 of the people making these comments don't tip anything and again why is this news really....moving on

mija

Is he a **** or is he just that bad at math? Did the waiter not deserve a big tip? I'm so sick of tipping waiters very well for awful service.

mija

#31 The tip is divided between workers. The waitress doesn't get all of it. Like the busser, who does the real work, gets part of it.

Joe

I read the top sheet and saw that there were 10 people in the party. Chances are that the auto-gratuity was included in the original bill.

If, perhaps, it wasn't. Then chances are that the waitstaff had to claim at least 8% of the bill as an earned gratuity. Doesn't matter if the customer actually paid the gratuity. If this were the case, then the waitstaff most likely would be having to pay 10-30 dollars out of pocket for the pleasure of serving the customer.

As with everything else in media, too much opinion and not enough fact to get the real truth out of it. Everyone loses here.

OLDSCHOOL

How about some of you leave a 100 bucks for a tip!! He lucky he got 40 aint nobody trying to pay his bills!!! Maybe Im just old school!!

Travisty

The waiter should be fired for even sending this image to TMZ. Otherwise, why would any other celebrity ever risk going to Drai's again? They go out and spend nearly a thousand bucks at your establishment, and then you turn around and allow your waitstaff to trash your customers on the web? Seriously?

Oh, and you are now reading the third comment page about a Jean-Claude Van Damme tip, so you should probably go do something productive already.

ohmyguinness

If you read the receipt, it say 1 Mag. Meaning one bottle of magnum champagne or wine. If that's all that was purchaced, $40 is more than enough. I would never tip 15-20 percent on alchohol.

Brad

The owner of the place is making a killing. Why doesn't he just pay the waiters a higher wage?
I used to be a waiter.....it's not that hard unless you are a retard.

mm

People sometimes forget, you must pay for the food, and you can tip as appropriately felt for the service. The 15-20% rule is a guideline. Perhaps this is what he did. No service person is entitled to a tip 100% of the time. Sadly, his tip could have reflected the efforts of only one of the waiter, or the cook, the greeter who brought him to a table, etc etc, and all of these people therefore suffered. However, if the service was excellent, than he is a jerk.

BananaHammock

UH...Maybe the service SUCKED and the waiter got what he deserved!!

I've waited tables and tended bar for years and you tend to get tipped what you deserve.

I think it's total BS that waiters and waitresses think they should get 20% no matter what type of service they give or that they should get huge tips because the customer is a known celebrity.

He may be cheap but be happy you got something since nobody owes you ANYTHING! Don't like your job find another one that pays you what you think you're worth (Good luck with THAT!)

People have become to self-entitled these days...

mannequin

Agreed, he should have left at least a hundred, but calls were made to his home? To discuss a TIP? Isn't that a little bit ridiculous?

Dana

Should have added an automatic 18%. Back in my waitress days, I decided to forgo the automatic 18% for a table I had been serving all night because they hinted that they were good tippers. (When you add that 18% people often won't add to the tip but when you don't charge 18%, customers usually contribute more than 20% (in my experience.)Anyhow I informed them that I did not add the 18% .....they left me with a $2 tip on a over $700 bill. I was so tempted to add a 0 after that 2. They were my only table that night and I made $2 for 5 hours of work

John

I find it odd that for one job, we get all up in arms about not making huge cash, yet for the another job we care not if the employee makes minimum wage but works just as hard.

Does TMZ (or anyone) ever carry stories about a cleaner only making $40 in whatever time frame this occured?