MJ Producer Dropped From Wrongful Death Suit

2/1/2011 3:13 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Jackson's producer of the "This Is It" tour just got a break in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Katherine Jackson -- he's been dropped as a defendant ... TMZ has learned.

Michael Jackson Wrongful Death Suit
Kenny Ortega was sued by Katherine, who claimed he was part of AEG's alleged plan to give Michael anything he needed in order for him to perform.

Katherine's lawyer, Kevin Boyle, tells TMZ, "Based on recently discovered information, the Jackson family has determined that Mr. Ortega should not be a defendant," adding, "The Jackson Family apologizes for any discomfort or inconvenience this may have caused Mr. Ortega."

It's always a discomfort to be sued for wrongful death.

1108_remembering_michael_jackson_footer

mjlover

@ Oh Well: GET A LIFE!!! You always have something STUPID and IGNORANT to say about MJ so shut your stupid mouth up already!! You're so PATHETIC AND ANNOYING!!!

MICHAEL WE LOVE YOU ALWAYS!!!! R.I.P...

deirdrelawlor

kennyyou love michael thaks for making the movie this is it

mariam

I never though ortega was involved in this, but theres no need to be rude to the jackson family. Everyone makes mistakes. They are still grieving give them their grace period to grieve and show people respect.

Ron

I agree! As MJ parents and family (brothers & sisters) should of help him get professional help as people are always looking to blame others for their own mistakes. MAN UP ALREADY

get a life people as MJ was wacko in many ways!

paul

Did Charlie Sheen wanted to commit suicide ?
Details here: moviesfan.eu/news/item/303-did-charlie-sheen-wanted-to-commit-suicide-?

nan

nice pictures of michael... i think kenny was a friend to michael, it is the higher up that were thinking about the money aspect of this thing.jmo

Chic

Great,Kenny was never involved anyway and he misses Michael very
much.

Cathy

whoa whoa whoa. Kenny was a long time friend of Michael's, right? If not intervening makes him guilty of something then the whole Jackson family should add themselves to the list of defendants.

Posted at 12:59 PM on Feb 1, 2011 by rachel
_______________________________________________________

No, I disagree. Kenny and Michael have certainly known each other and worked together for many years. Whether or not they were friends I guess depends on who you talk to. I'm no fan of Karen Faye, but I remember she posted on her blog that Kenny's negligence was responsible for a stage accident in which Michael was injured - about 10-12 years ago, and that Michael was very bothered by the fact that Kenny skipped town after it happened - and never apologized or inquired about his condition.

I don't see Kenny and the Jackson family on the same footing in regards to Michael's last months/weeks. According to many sources, Michael shut his family out completely and refused them access. According to the Jacksons, they were not aware that Michael was receiving propofol every night. Kenny on the other hand, had constant access to Michael in those last months. He saw him nearly every day! I'm not saying Kenny could have stopped Michael from doing anything or even that Kenny could have saved his life - just that he would be in a better position to see the daily deterioration and would have been more "in the know" as to what was going on. Even Karen Faye admits that Michael did not look well -- and that she often discussed this with Kenny. No member of the Jackson family was in this unique position.

I take the content of "This is It" with a grain of salt. Any novice can see that this movie was edited very carefully to present Michael's health in the best light. Sometimes surface appearance does not reflect the whole truth. And of course Kenny was producer on the film.

I'm not saying Kenny is evil or that he wanted Michael to die. I'm sure it was just the opposite - he wanted Michael to live and do the O2 shows - so that everyone could make some money!

Eleonora49

What a Beautiful Photo from Michael !!!Wie schön ich liebe es.

Trish

Yeah, real nice photo of the drag queen.

boston-gal,,,,

Kenny shouldn't have been named on the lawsuit to begin with. I'm glad he was removed. He organized a wonderful memorial to his dear friend. As someone mentioned above, he has the utmost respect and affection for MJ and I think MJ obviously did the same for him. You can see they worked well together. Murray on the other hand should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and I have no clue the level of involvement in AEG so I hope the truth comes out in the case! RIP MJ. Your talent is truly missed in this world of chaos these days! Blessings to you in heaven!

moni

I still think that Kenny knew Michael wasn't well (i.e. was on drugs to help him function) and turned the other way because he was so concerned about the O2 shows going off, and he didn't want to rock the boat. Kenny puts on a good show for the public, but behind the scenes I think he is only out for himself.

Posted at 12:04 PM on Feb 1, 2011 by Cathy
-----------

I agree, Cathy, Kenny must have known and seen that Michael wasn't in the best state of health (to put it mildly). But I don't think he was aware that Michael's life was in danger. He wouldn't have worked him to death. And: Let's not forget that Michael didn't die from hunger or emaciation. He died from an overdose of Propofol.

Basically Kenny Ortega had a job to do, and it must have been difficult for him to deal with Michael's unreliability to show up for the rehearsals (IF there was an unreliability) and his drug-caused drowsiness on some days (IF there was such). Kenny has known Michael in the prime of his artistry, his power, his charisma, and I'm sure it didn't leave him unaffected how things were like in the spring of 2009.

Don't know why, but I still believe that Kenny really liked Michael, and that – besides all business-interests by AEG – it was his wish to create TII as a wonderful memory and a legacy.

However, I would so much like to hear him tell what really happened at TII. He's such an important witness concerning Michael's last months and weeks. And somewhere deep inside I'd wish the stories Kenny has been telling until now were true: That Michael WAS full of inspiration and pleasant anticipation, that he DID look forward to the concerts and that he WAS ready to perform.

anonymous

Anyone knows when the trial starts?

-Justice For MJ-

Ulja

I agree with you. Kenny could help, but he has again departed aside. Though he is formally not guilty. (he is not the responsible person for Michael's health) This point of honor and conscience. But i don't think Jacksons is ready to meet him with wide hugs.(Or Mike really was in a good form.)

Cathy

Posted at 2:00 PM on Feb 1, 2011 by moni
_______________________________________________________

Yeah moni - I think this is my biggest problem with Kenny. I don't think he is evil, and I don't even necessarily think he should be named in the wrongful death suit. But I didn't like the way he went on TV after Michael died and claimed how great Michael looked, how much energy he had, how terrific things were, etc. I just don't believe that is true, and I think Kenny knew better even whilst he was saying these things. My perception then (and now) is that Kenny made such a big deal out of saying (anywhere and everywhere) how healthy and alive Michael was, exactly because he did not want to be, in any way, shape or form, deemed culpable for what happened. Lookin' out for number one. At least that's my take, and it turned me off. I think the number one person Kenny wanted to protect - both before and after Michael's death - was himself. Does he deserve to burn in hell? Of course not. ;)