Whitney Houston Performs at Brown Family Funeral

2/1/2011 9:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown reunited yesterday in Boston, where Whitney sang at the funeral for Bobby's mother.

Whitney Houston Mama Brown Funeral Video
Whitney performed twice during the service for Carole Brown, singing the gospel song "Precious Lord Take My Hand" solo and later joining in while Johnny Gill and the rest of New Edition sang "Never Would Have Made It."

Sources tell TMZ ... Whitney reached out to Bobby and asked if she could participate in the funeral.

Bobby's mother passed away January 20 in L.A.

Mebal Zahari

Real songbird.

memchee

I think it's tacky and disrespectful that someone would sell footage of the funeral to the blogs!

Truth

#21

HER FAN SITES LATCHED ONTO THE VID FIRST AND SOME WERE SENT TO BLOGS BUT NEVER POSTED. TMZ GOT A WIND OF IT ON YOUTUBE AND POSTED IT. ORIGINALLY ON SOME NEW EDITION YOUTUBE CHANNEL POSTED YESTERDAY. THE DUDE WAS THERE AT THE FUNERAL AND SUPPOSEDLY OBTAINED PERMISSION FROM THE BROWN FAMILY TO TAPE IT.

Muffers

I agree with # 7, it was a gracious gesture from Whitney as she was in deed Mrs. Brown's former daughter-in-law.

I think it was a class act for her as well as the members of New Edition as I'm sure they probably knew Mrs. Brown on more personal level.

Regardless of what any of them have been through in the past, at the end of the day, they are all human just as we all are and they deserve some level of respect during their time of bereavement.

Millie

It may have taken so long to have the funeral as she passed away in LA and the funeral was in Boston

TONYA JACKSON

WHY DID SOMEONE RECORD THE FUNERAL?? I DON'T CARE IF WHITNEY, NEW EDITION OR JOHNNY GILL SANG, THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT TIME TO PULL OUT YOUR CAMERA!!!! SECOND, PEOPLE NEED TO STOP WITH THE CRACK JOKES! BOBBY IS GRIEVING OVER HIS MOM AND IT IS VERY TACKY TO MAKE JOKES ABOUT HIM RIGHT NOW! LET THE FAMILY GRIEVE JUST LIKE YOU WOULD WANT THE SAME RESPECT AT YOUR FAMILY MEMBER'S FUNERAL! I CAN NOT EVEN WATCH THIS VIDEO BECAUSE I AM SICKENED OVER THE FACT SOMEONE RECORDED A PRIVATE, SAD MOMENT!!

MP

I think it's odd to have a recording of a funeral, but everyone's different and that's fine . However, I think it's very tacky to release the video for the world to see.

mad

The Browns did NOT consent to the videos being uploaded to youtube. Matter of fact, they're pissed! I mean I would be too. This lady was family to them, not a ****in celebrity. Christ! Disgusting people will stoop so low for attention. Whitney fans should be ashamed of themselves. Sending the videos to different blogs to prove Whitney can sing a little? Give me a ****ing break! What happened to morals and ethics?Pfff

whatThe?!?

Don't mind Whitney singing. Wish her only the best. But was this a funeral or what? No respect. Why the cell phones out and recording- people are ignorant. Nothing to do with color of skin. We are all human beings.

Calvin Mason

First and foremost condolences to Bobby and his family. I think it is tasteless for someone to be at a funeral recording this. A woman has passed and all some fan could think to do was record it? I say a fan because I saw it last night under new edition fan club youtube page. Poor reflection on New Edition. If Whitney fans helped New Edition fans put it out that's a poor reflection on them also. Is there no more respect for the deceased and privacy for their families anymore?

Tash

Lovely that she was there honoring Mrs. Brown. Too bad the pastor (?) couldn't be quiet for the performance. I could barely hear her! I am guessing most people would have preferred to hear her over that guys shouting. As for the way the funeral was performed, I think it is lovely when people bring joy to somber occasions.

Aerogirl

I bet she sweated like a pig as usual. Not to diss a funeral, but.............. Don't do it if you look like your taking a fricking shower during your song!

LYRICS

actually, blk ppl ALWAYS take 4ever 2 have funerals!! Unfortunately, we ALWAYS have 173742947236525294239 ppl comin' in from around the world n' by the time the shock n' horribly LOUD screamin' and cryin' subsides, it's approx. 2wks later!! NO JOKE, I'M SOOOOO SINCERE!!!

NatTurner

So typical. White folks make "crack" jokes while they applaud and defend Charlie Sheen, Lindsey Lohan and Miley Cyrus. I guess its in their nature to joke about someone's funeral.

Lamar Franklin

This is a perfect example of how so many people take a little piece of something (like a bad photo taken in bad light, or know it all opinions from others who really know little or nothing) and run with it!! Check this out.. Go to this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfk77D6MITM
Its Whitney's performance at a Gospel awards show from 2 days ago. Those who love this lady and respect her attempts to get her life back on track will be uplifted. All you haters can just look, learn and Shut the ***K up!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments