Halle's Race War with Gabriel:

Our Daughter IS Black

2/8/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Halle Berry says it point blank ... her daughter is Black -- a direct message to her ex Gabriel Aubry who, according to sources, "went nuts" anytime someone called Nahla Black.

0207_halle_gabriel_BN_Getty_01
Halle says in an upcoming interview with EBONY magazine, "I feel she's Black. I'm Black and I'm her mother, and I believe in the one-drop theory." The one-drop rule was used during segregation to describe anyone who wasn't 100% Caucasian.

As TMZ first reported, sources connected with the former couple say Gabriel insists Nahla is White.

Truth is, they're both sorta right ... and both sorta wrong.

So, we gotta ask ...

Halle Berry

Bella

I think Halle is right: Nahla will be called a N*gga before she is called a Cr*cker.

Angel

Black

R.C. Bastine

First of all this is kind of crazy? We all have been subjected to a rule made at a terrible time in our history! Made to hold a race of people back, , We are all human beings and no matter what a rule say's fact is fact. There is know way to change what race you are. We must embrace all of who we are, Black, White, If we are going to make judgment about race it should be to love one another as the Human race period. I don't pray and say Amen anymore, I say All men. 1 LOVE!

__________

Irene Gorman

Yes, even after all this time race still remains an issue in today's society. That being said, the former couple should put their childishness, pettiness, egos, and BS aside for their daughter's well being and raise her to become a good human being, first and foremost.

sdg57751

Why should it matter? God is no respecter of race. Nahla is a beautiful little girl. Thank god you have a healthy child. Put personal egos aside. Race her not to look at race,help her to learn that all people are special.

sookiegirl

This is ridiculous! Do parents not even realize that they are hurting the children when they fight like idiots??

This child is BLACK & WHITE!!! Dad is white...mom is black and white...which makes the kid BIRACIAL!
AND if you want to be technical she is more white than black.

My kids are all mixed (white, black, spanish) and they will grow up knowing what races they are and will be proud!

Ginandberry

The baby is mixed all day every day just like Barack Obama and Halle herself. Confused A$$ people.

She's black

During the slave trade if you was "mixed" then you would still be classed as a black person and would still be counted as a slave...so in my opinion "mixed-raced" people should or can be counted as black .

akn

I usually do not comment on what I read here, but this time is an exception. I have read almost all of these comments and 95% of them are very negative and vile. What happened ? She used to be the love of your lives. You all were always commenting about how she was the most "beautiful woman in the world". How quickly we change and turn on. Typical Americans - who always like to chew people up and spit them out after they have put them on a pedestal. I have more respect for her, now, then I ever have.

Halle, if you are reading this, now you know why your mother turned you around in the mirror and told you you were Black and that the racist American society would percive you as Black. Especially, coming from that evil, god-awful midwest that you grew up in. Your mother, being white, knew that this day was coming and prepared you well for it. Now you can in turn prepare Nahla. My niece is going through the same thing. At the beginning of the marriage, he was all into the diversity aspect. After, he and my sister divorced...he turned into a different beast. I know that it can happen...I have seen it first hand. These white guys lay down with Black women and want a white child...go figure.

Just remember, Halle, the Black race will always accept you....I think you already know that. When the others turn their backs on you when the novelty wears off...we will always be there for you. We may shoot from the hip, but we will be there. I have always had a lot of respect for you and I will continue to do so. You are almost like the female Barack Obama. You know who you are and that upsets white folks. They like to play into the notion of the tragic mulatto. I believe in the one-drop rule also...living in the Dirty South has taught me that. I also know why you had a child from a white guy after being married to two Black men. It's hard to explain, but only we Black women understand. Being bi-racial in this society is harder than anywhere else in the world because race matters so much. I have two Black parents, but still feel the racial crunch.

Don't listen to the nigh-sayers; keep your head up and don't give up....EVER.

Toshiba Macadoo

If her daughter is elected president she will be considered "black". If she becomes a druggy and/or a criminal she will be considered "mixed" or white.

bp

Mass confusion the baby is non white and will be treated as such by society. She may not be Black but who knows. White people created the concept of race and get to decide who is white and that classification can change as quick as the weather.

sookiegirl

To the person who spoke about slave days....lolololol. This isnt slave days anymore. Its the 2011! Get over yourself.

Anyone who has more than 1 race is mixed. Period. End of story.

If Halle wants to say that SHE, herself, is black, fine...there is nothing wrong with saying you are one race over the other...BUT she needs to recognize that her daughter is mixed and until her little girl can speak for herself and decide which race she wants to claim, they both need to shut up about it and quit fighting. One day this little girl will read and hear about all of this and thats not healthy.

kiko

they are both wrong a mixed person has a hard time identifying there selves but eventually they pick what they want to be and mostly they pic the side in which most people associate themselves with. just like halle choose to be black her daughter will choose what to call her self to. and mommy and daddy opinion wouldn't matter

chuku

Hmm. Isn't Halle an American?
She's not black.
She's not African.
However, if she wants to go back to old laws, then let her do that in court,
but the child needs a family.

katbunny

Some of ya'll folks sound really stupid.
Just because Halle refer to her daughter as 'black', some want
to bash her. WHY? Halle has always consider sheself as black.
So now she's a nut because she does not want to embrace the
white race? Most mixed people consider themselves as black.
Wonder why?

Previous 15 Comments | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments