Lindsay: 'I'm Not Guilty Because I'm NOT!'

2/8/2011 10:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Lindsay Lohan is telling friends ... she's pleading not guilty tomorrow with vigor, because she says, "I honestly feel I did nothing wrong."

1123_lilo_EX_TMZ_01

Lohan is saying privately, "I'm pleading not guilty because I'm NOT!"

TMZ broke the story ... Lindsay will be charged Wednesday with felony grand theft for allegedly stealing a $2,500 necklace.

She'll be arraigned at 1:30 PM PT... and TMZ will livestream the hearing.

Moonbeam

A lot will depend on the credibility of the store owner. I wouldn't trust much of anything Lilo says, but something about this particular case sounds fishy to me, including the store owner not reporting it for a whole day. We would have to know more about the security set-up of the store and the personal history of the owner/staff Lilo dealt with there before being convinced either way. Sometimes an overly aggressive prosecution ends up having the opposite effect and creates sympathy for the accused, especially if lots of time and public money is spent on what was a weak case to begin with. However, some addicts, especially if trying to break one habit, do sometimes develop another, including kleptomania. I would hope that if that's true with Lilo (and not saying it is), that rehab should address that potential with their patients.

Glynda

You know what...I kinda believe her. she's got problems but it just doesn't make sense for her to wear it out in public. For them to give her the necklace and let her walk out with it then suddenly realize she had it two weeks later?

Mmm, somethings fishy about that.

jwoolman

The problem is that shoplifters really don't think they are doing anything wrong. Take a look at Winona Ryder's interview after she was caught: "I didn’t have this tremendous sense of guilt, because I hadn’t hurt anyone.” Winona had clearly planned the theft, with gear to hide the goods.

Shoplifters typically justify their actions in many different ways: the merchandise is overpriced, the shop owners are unfair (or somebody else they represent to the shoplifter is unfair), if they're stupid enough not to catch me then they deserve to lose it, nobody will miss it, nobody gets hurt, I deserve nice things, etc. etc. etc. Lindsay has added the delusion that "everybody wants to give me things." And shoplifters in that frame of mind will repeat the thefts again and again, even after being caught. They want the rush it brings to them, it's not about the actual item or its price tag or their ability to pay. It's another drug to them. This is why Lindsay would risk so much to continue to do it while on probation, in addition to her feeling of invulnerability.

She would be wiser to throw herself on the mercy of the court, crying her crocodile tears about how it's all part of the addictive behavior she is trying to change (which it really is, although that doesn't absolve her of responsibility). The evidence is so compelling: She definitely had the necklace in her possession, with no receipt for purchase or loan or any hint of a credit card inquiry. The person she was with followed her out of the store, no hint of any need to stay to take care of paperwork. She did not wear it at any special event, making it ludicrous to even think she would be loaned the necklace (and one priced only at $2500?). When paps started taking her picture wearing it on the street, she tried to hide it and certainly didn't announce which store it came from. People in that area certainly know the conditions under which jewelry is loaned and for what purpose (advertising for the store), they won't be fooled by her claim "they loaned it to me." She finally returned the necklace only right after the search warrant story appeared on Radar Online.

And shoplifters typically steal many, many times before finally being prosecuted. The odds are astronomical against this being her "first time." The odds are also high that it's not the first time she's been caught. My guess is that a lot of merchants who just let her go in return for a bundle of money are breathing a sigh of relief right now.

HarlotO'Hara

"I am not a crook." - Richard Nixon

Posted at 6:40 PM on Feb 8, 2011 by LieHoShouldBeInJail

LOL!!

cementmixer

They should just give her the SHOT in the new beautiful room in San Quentin.

campy

If-obviously not that I ever would, but IF I ever walked out of a store wearing $2,500 in bling, I could EASILY get two people to say that I borrowed it.

I approve as well as applaud the Los Angeles District Attorney for treating Lindsay Lohan just as any regular Hispanic or African American joe shmoe would be treated.

It's time that that broad pays the piper. I was on her side when I learned her age and heard she was going into a program...but what does she do when she's there? She goes out and parties, gets drunk, and gets some poor woman fired who was just trying to do her job. Then she shoplifts?

Tell me that's not a scream for help!

p.s. No pity points for your mother being mentioned on Glee, which I did not watch btw.

campy

Tell me that's not a scream for help!

Rose5491

jwoolman - I agree.

I'm sure she's shoplifted many many many times before. Probably caught several times and let go after restitution. And probably not caught many more times.

Melle2

Lindsay is just one more victim of YEARS of Addictive Psychoactive MEDS she was Rx'ed for ADHD since she was very young- As a parent who pitched our son's Ritalin in the '70's & never regretted doing so, I firmly believe that WHEN young people LABELED as ADHD/ODD & are Rx'ed psychoactive drugs for it...then began the "out of character behavior", even being IN TROUBLE AT SCHOOL and/or WITH THE LAW, it's THEN that the PARENTS, TEACHERS & DOCTORS GIVING or Rx'ing psychoactives for them SHOULD BE HELD LIABLE for what happens as a result of such worsened behaviors> which can also include suicidal thoughts, worsened depression, "thoughts of Arson", as well as violent or unlawful actions- In most cases it can be noticed that the "out of character" or disruptive, even unlawful behavior will begin when these so called ADHD patients (taking Rx'ed Psychoactives) reach PUBERTY age & past.. that the psychoactives' BAD effects are more noticed- There are much SAFER, HEALTHIER ways of REVERSING Hyper Behavior & improving FOCUS & ATTENTION in young people- Lindsay's POOR JUDGMENT as well AS tendencies towards manic behavior (which includes stealing even when NOT needed)..could have been triggered thru the YEARS of ADDICTIVE PSYCHOACTIVE MEDS she was prescribed-

Lucky_130

FUTMZ- Actually its more like 1692 Salem, and Lindsay out to be grateful her drama, and family drama dosent date back to those trials like mine dose.

Seriously?

By the way, the stores credibility is NOT in question at all. It's Lindsays credibility that is in question.

And the store reported it stolen the SAME day she took it, not 2 weeks later.

Dawning Red

@Glynda "Mmm, somethings fishy about that."

Nah, you're smelling Lindsay. She forgot to borrow some Summer's Eve at the local Wal-Mart.

LA me

BTW....I was just joking about renting "I Know Who Killed Me"!! I wouldn't have spent 2 cents to rent it. But I did watch it on an internet bootleg for free!! The only movie I've seen LieLo in. It was HORRIBLE!!

campy

P.P.S.

Harvey, will you please pay for that blond guy's education? How utterly embarrassing. I wouldn't leave the house for weeks after referring to an impoverished country as having an "textile economy".

So so sad. Yeah, that's fair. He has a decent paying job and I don't? Please tell him to read 'Psychic Vampires'.

Anya

LOL that's what they all say