Man Dies After Freak Accident on Set of 'NCIS'

2/9/2011 7:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

A person working on the show "NCIS" died today after a man driving a passenger van for the production lost control and smashed into the set this morning ... TMZ has learned.

NCIS Accident Death

Law enforcement sources confirm ... the 60-year-old driver had some kind of medical emergency behind the wheel and veered on to the L.A. area set -- striking a 52-year-old male security guard.

We're told the security guard was transported to a nearby hospital in critical condition -- but died from his injuries a short time later.

The accident is still under investigation.

0209_cbs_ncis_crash
UPDATE: CBS has released a statement saying the studio is "cooperating with the local authorities in Santa Clarita to help determine what caused this terrible accident."

CBS notes production on the show has been suspended until further notice.

NCIS producers, cast and crew also released a joint statement saying, "With profound sympathy we mourn the tragic passing of our co-worker and friend."

They add, "NCIS is a family.  And, as with any family, we are deeply saddened by this unexpected loss.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones."

Chuck Richardson

A tragic event - can only offer my prayers for all those affected by this horrific accident, especially the security guard's family.

John

This is tragic.

And it won't be the last, yes the man behind the wheel may have had a medical emergency but as Hollywierd continues to push the envelope on safety, things will get worse.

judy

hey to the people who have no feelings for humanbeings,do u by any chance know what karma is ,well if u don't u will find out sooner or later.

Helen

My heart felt sympathy goes out to his family and friends. He sits by Jesus now.

Rose King

My heart goes out to the family of the security guard and cast members of NCIS. It is easy to forget how easily life can change in a heart beat and never think or prepare for it. Please accept my condolences and hope the families are able to handle the after effects of the unexpected death.

Bev Benn

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the security guard who died. For those of you who are making jokes about the security guard's death--remember, God is watching.

CTB

Gibbs should work the case!

Zimon

Its been a year an a few days after Julio Garcia was killed from a over worked a month to retire 60 year old teamster driver. What has happened after that ? The security company that was not at fault was replaced shortly after. I heard it was from the higher ups from CBS they also keep more close eye on the entire crew because of some indescrepencies in various matters. I was the head of security for that show for four seasons. I've been I head of security for motion picture for over 18 years in many movies and tv shows its been my carrer. Nothing like this has ever happened. I have video of the accident that I never sold or posted out of respect to Julio but I really wanted to after we were discarded as their workers remember "family" that's what they said we are family ...I guess we are not ...to those in the show and you know who you are those who care and those who dont ...it's a small world after all ...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3