Pete Wentz: Ashlee and I Just Grew Apart

2/9/2011 3:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sources connected with Pete Wentz tell TMZ ... Ashlee Simpson's claim that Pete was just too erratic is BS -- and they simply grew apart.

Pete Wentz

We're told Pete agrees with Ashlee -- no third parties were involved.  According to one connected source, "After Bronx was born Ashlee made a conscious decision to get out of the business, but Pete's heart was in music so he kept touring and that became a big issue in their relationship."

A conflict has already emerged, because sources tell TMZ Pete wants joint legal and physical custody of Bronx.  In Ashlee's divorce papers, she's asking for primary physical custody.

0709_split_footer

Kitten

Well they sure "grew apart" quickly... Guess it isnt cool being married to him since he ceased being a Fall Out Boy anymore, eh Ash?

Wanda

Grew apart... That's an easy excuse. Mariage is work.
Fireworks are great, but there's also an insane a lot of value found in spending days with your best friend (plus the occasional fireworks of course).

Kelly

I honestly can't believe this. But, I really don't care about the fact that they're splitting up. It happens to everyone, most of the time.

I think my biggest problem with all this is the fact that Ashlee is supposedly asking for sole custody of Bronx. That's a cruel thing to take a father away from his son. It's cruel as hell. It's not fair to Pete whatsoever. :/

Yak

Shocker. Why, why, why do celebs bother getting married? Consider professing your everlasting and undying love in some other manner. Morons.

Kevin

Maybe if Ashley had a penis they would still be together but really who cares. She is just a waste of space.

Angie

what did they talk about before they got married? did she think he'd stop working after they had a kid? she expected him to work at walmart to her her raise the kid?

jack

"A conscious decision to get out of the business" ? I thought her lip synching performance on SNL put an end to that?

bagladey

" - but Pete's heart was in music so he kept touring and that became a big issue in their relationship." Am I missing something here or is Pete Wentz not a musician by profession? Did Ashley expect him to turn into a producer or a business man? I think what finished this relationship was Pete's new hair style: Yuk. If you have a 'fro at least groom it, man, that thing looks like a hard, dull scrubbing pad/brush/thing.

Jeff Becker

Pete and Ashley divorcing? What a shocker! When the hollyweird losers decide to marry they should just agree to stay together for 2 years. Maybe they will make it and do not procreate. Your children are going to be screwed up too.

dbella

Um, that isn't a legal conflict. When you have a joint custody agreement, one parent is always named the primary physical custodian, usually the one receiving child support and who has the kids the majority of the time. He would still have joint custody of them if she was named primary custodian, which she'd have to be because he tours.

toto

Looking at pics of them together, they always looked wasted and judging by Ashley's emaciated body I wouldn't be surprised that they abuse drugs. Not surprised they're divorcing, cause he always seemed on the gay side to me.

KeyLimePie

Why couldn't she go on tour with him?

I say her housewife haircut ended it.

Carl

I didn't realize it was a decision for her to get out of the business. I thought it was more like no one bought her albums nor had any interest whatsoever in her music.

kim

Ashley made a conscious decision to get out of the business!! hahahahahahaha! Pllleeaaasseeee - she couldnt get another record deal after her first one bombed, for the life of her, no one respected her for lip synching on SNL and blaming it on a cold, she was fired from Melrose Place (wasnt Bronx born before Melrose Place?).

She has no talent and couldnt get hired to open an envelope - the choice was made for her!

dustcar