Police Report: How Lindsay Walked Out with Necklace

2/10/2011 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Lindsay Lohan was trying on a slew of jewelry before walking out of the store with the $2,500 necklace ... this according to the police report obtained by TMZ.

Lindsay Lohan Necklace
The report outlines Lindsay's every move -- from the time she walked into the store to the time she left -- and it's all on surveillance video.

According to the report, Lindsay walked in and removed her necklaces and placed them on the counter.  The report says, "Ms. Lohan then proceeds to try on numerous rings and three different necklaces including the missing yellow diamond necklace."

The police report then says Lindsay continued shopping while wearing the yellow necklace.

Then, at 6:12 PM, the owner locked the store but let Lindsay and her friend Patrick continue to shop.  That's when Lindsay tried negotiating a ring she had been eyeing, but she didn't like the $3,600 price tag.  Lindsay took $3,000 cash out of her purse and offered it in exchange for the ring, but the owner said no.  Lindsay then said, "Ok, we'll come back tomorrow."

When Lindsay prepared to leave the store, she put her own necklaces back on her neck, along with the yellow necklace in question ... then walked out of the store.

The owner noticed a short time after Lindsay left that the yellow necklace was missing, but figured she took it by mistake and would bring it back the next day.  Lindsay never returned to the store.

Kabala

What a happy life she must have... ;)

houston32

anyone defending her is an idiot,, i've never seen so many people trying to make sense out of what she did, and condoning it as if it was ok.. if it was your jewelry i'm sure you would have done the samething,, and for those that say, they should have walked to her home and knocked on her door you to are an idiot.. And since when did celebs, just give out there phone numbers to call and ask for the chain back,, i'm sure the only number they had was her assistant.. you people are idiots.

INeverLie

Here's a serious question for you all. We are all in this bubble called TMZville? But will anybody in the real world want to see a movie she's in. Or, will any director or producer really want to hire her after this shark frenzy? What does everyone think?

Mike

"Why didn't the owners drop the charges when they got the necklace back? The liars didn't feel bad about pressing charges as they claimed they did, or they would have dropped the charges by now."

Would you drop the charges against those involved in a home invasion/burglary if they apologized, sent flowers, and gave everything back? I don't think so. If that tactic worked, more criminals would use it when caught.

"It should be obvious to everyone by now that the store is in this for publicity. I would never shop there for fear they would treat me like a common thief. I will always view this store like it's some sleazy pawn shop."

I'm sure you're not the only one who feels this way about the shop.How is this "publicity" going to help the owners or the business when it's all negative ? It won't. Therefore, it's ludicrous to suggest that publicity was their motive for pressing charges. They have nothing to gain from this.

The simplest explanation is that Lindsay Lohan is guilty. "Haters" need not be involved.

Liz

I find it hard to believe that the shop owner didn't pay better attention to the necklace. I mean in jewelry stores that I have been in the employees keep an eye on every piece that is on the counter. And when she did notice it was missing, why did she try to not get in contact with Lindsey right then? Seems like a good way to get free publicity at someone else's expense.

Texacan

TRASH!

Kate

Empathy for the beautiful Lindsay Lohan and Winona Ryder, who are convenient targets.
From Ms. Ryder's wikipedia bio:
On December 12, 2001, Ryder was arrested on shoplifting charges in Beverly Hills, California. She was accused of stealing $5,500 worth of designer clothes and accessories at a Saks Fifth Avenue department store.[4][78][79] Los Angeles District Attorney Stephen Cooley produced a team of eight prosecutors. Cooley filed four felony charges against her in what was described by British newspaper The Guardian as a "show-trial."[80] Ryder hired noted celebrity defense attorney Mark Geragos. Negotiations for a plea bargain failed at the end of summer 2002.[81]
As noted by Joel Mowbray from the National Review, the prosecution was not ready to offer the actress what was given to 5,000 other defendants in similar cases, an open door to a no-contest plea on misdemeanor charges.[82] Ryder agreed under signature to pay two Civil Demands, as permitted under California's Statute for Civil Recovery for Shoplifting, from Saks Fifth Avenue that completely reimbursed Saks Fifth Avenue for the stolen and surrendered merchandise while detained in the Security Offices of the Saks Fifth Avenue store, and before she was read her Miranda rights and arrested by the Los Angeles Police Department.[83]

During the trial, she was accused of using drugs without valid prescriptions. Ryder was convicted of grand theft,[84] shoplifting and vandalism, but was acquitted on the third felony charge, burglary.[85] In December 2002, she was sentenced to three years' probation, 480 hours of community service, $3,700 in fines, $6,355 in restitution to the Saks Fifth Avenue store, and ordered to attend psychological and drug counseling.[86] After reviewing Ryder's probation report, Superior Court Judge Elden Fox noted that Ryder served 480 hours of community service and on June 18, 2004, the felonies were reduced to misdemeanors. Ryder remained on probation until December 2005.[87][88]

Nate

This is in light of all the latest facts you reported on earlier today. D

John

Nicole = Lindsay herself, or Dina.

Really Now

@Kathyo - You are entitled to your own opinions not your own facts. First of all by TMZ reports the store owners did not try to contact Lindsay herself but her "people". Whether messages were left or not or what was the content of those messages and most importantly if Lindsay knew of those messages if any have not been disclosed here. Secondly she was in the store after hours and hence it is safe to assume that she would have been under the watchful eyes of a store attendant and therefore this just seems to be a genuine oversight by all parties. Thirdly the fact that the store entertained her and her entourage after hours speaks to a preferential relationship between store and Lohan and hence to report this matter as shoplifting within a 24 hour period is highly suspicious after not seeking to directly contact Lohan who by TMZ reports lives a few doors away. I know nothing and frankly care little about Lohan's other issues but this is a case of overcharging and sensationalism

jwoolman

My guess is that Lindsay is changing her story because she can't get the other two people (Patrick and Eleanor?) to perjure themselves to back up her "loan" story. So now she wants us to believe she just "accidentally" walked out of the store with it, ignored calls, wore it later, etc. and had to be threatened with a search warrant before returning it. Oopsie.

If the store owners had not called the police, she never would have returned the necklace. She would have denied having it, as she apparently did privately when the search warrant was publicized prematurely by one of the tabloid sites. Lindsay's only miscalculation was wearing it on the street so there were photos, although she tried to cover it up. That gave the police sufficient evidence to pursue a search warrant. If she had just stuck it in a drawer and waited until she was elsewhere to wear it, or only wore it away from paps, the store would never have seen it again.

Lindsay is just playing a role like her idol, Marilyn Monroe: the scatterbrained ditz. Lindsay is actually quite intelligent. But the scatterbrained act works in her favor as she pursues her shoplifting hobby.

themare

The necklace she stole is the small one. She turned it around so the yellow diamonds hang down her back and it was easier to conceal. Look at the pictures on www.xonline.com and look at the pictures under "Lindsay goes "shopping in Venice" There are a series of photographs taken (on the day of the theft, I think) You can see her wearing the stolen necklace and then when she realizes that the stolen necklace is being photographed, there is an, "OH,SH*T!" look on her face and she frantically tries to cover up her neck and hide the necklace she stole. I hope the pictures are used by the DA because they are PRICELESS!

jwoolman

Has TMZ become infested with shoplifters? I have never seen such nonsense as in posts on this topic, it's all shoplifter rationalization for their sticky fingers:

-- It's overpriced! I'm striking a blow for freedom and democracy by stealing it!
-- The owners are unfair! I'm striking a blow etc.!
-- If I get away with it, it's MINE and they deserve to lose it! Finders keepers, losers weepers.
-- If they catch me, they're making a mountain out of a molehill and just out to get me! How dare they call the police! I am not a crook!
-- I can steal anything I want as long as when they catch up with me, I give it back or pay for it with the wad of cash I keep in my pocket or purse. Laws against theft are so unfair!
-- It's only $2500! They've got lots more jewelry! They shouldn't even miss it!
-- Why is the DA wasting time prosecuting me when they should be prosecuting REAL criminals? Laws against theft are so unfair! I am not a crook!

and for the celebrity thieves:
-- I was just borrowing it! Stores loan me jewelry all the time! They just don't remember!
-- They gave it to me! Stores give me jewelry all the time! They just don't remember!
-- Ooh, I'm so absent-minded and clueless and delicate, my keeper was supposed to take care of the paperwork! Bad keeper, bad keeper.
-- The store is framing me to get publicity! Bad store, bad store.

Next time someone steals your laptop or ipod or wallet or car, I do hope you remember your justifications for Lindsay stealing a $2500 necklace ("just leave the girl alone!"). Don't call the police, you don't want the thief to get into trouble. It was all your fault, anyway.

sbtj

Don't know how you can she's innocent. If any other woman walked out of a store with something she didn't pay for, she'd be arrested then and there. At least Lindsay had a chance to return it, but she didn't. Obviously, she stole the item.

I tell it like it is...

Clear case of Malignant Self Love...
The narcissist will do almost anything and cross all boundaries achieve renown. To her, there is no such thing as "bad publicity" - what matters is to be in the public eye. As long as they spell her name corerctly, she's content.