Lindsay Prosecutor: We Believe It's a $2,500 Necklace

2/15/2011 9:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The prosecutor in the Lindsay Lohan shoplifting case believes the necklace in question is worth $2,500 ... but she's open to hearing arguments from Lindsay's lawyer that the price tag is grossly inflated.

0215_lindsay_danette_EX_TMZ_01a

TMZ broke the story ... several jewelers claim the market value of the necklace is anywhere between $800 and $1,000.  Under California law, if the item in question is worth $950 or less, the case must be filed as a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Deputy D.A. Danette Meyers tells TMZ, "If Shawn (Lindsay's lawyer) presents me with credible evidence of value, we will take a look at it.  But based upon what's in front of us -- what the store owner and designer said -- the necklace is worth $2,500."

Meyers adds, ultimately "It's a battle for the jury."

0811_lindsay_lohan_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

LA me

Lindsay's a LOSER!

npfiii

It doesn't matter what they think the 'fair market value' is, it's how much the store chooses to sell it for that counts.

stevo

Of course they do, they just wanna make an example outta her already and lock her up for a few months to show the system works. Obviously she'll get some sort of a reduced sentence but the damage will be done and she will eventually make a big comeback as in all hollywood fairy tales. Its just sad they they exploit these kids for publicity but these kids dont do much to avoid being used up.

Popped-colostomy-bag 26:the-Rise-Of-Chen!

More Spencer Pratt beard updates please.

george clooney

#2 npfili....wrong, it does matter what fair market value is of the item. Know what you are talking about before you post a statement like that.

JayVegas

The jury?? Oh my effing god, I can't believe they are going to jury trial. Where will they find an impartial jury pool? On the twin moons of Tatooine?

I was not completely convinced that she would go to prison until I read the word jury...

Mr.McNasty

stevo stfu

Sheeple Herder

She'll be a convicted thief either way! Thief, thief, THIEF!!!

Thief, drug addict, alkie, liar, loser; that's quite the resume!

JLS

@ poster no. 5 who thinks he has a JD in Law-->

You are incorrect. You know little about these matters. When LL put the necklace on and walked out of the store, she assumed the necklace was worth what the tag said or what the sales clerk told her which was $2500. Still, she walked out with it.

Fair market value doesn't come into play nor does a thousand other wholesale jewelers opinions. It's generous for this prosecutor to entertain oral argument on this subject because she knows this silly attempt to lower this to a misdemeanor won't work anyway. This was, and still is, something the half assed TMZ arm chair defense lawyers came up with to play with people like you-and Ms. Holley who has no defense here.

By the way, I do have the JD in Law.

twilightmom

@steveo
I think *you're* living in a fairy tale. Lol

Shawn doesn't want to take this to trial, she knows they will LoSE! That's why they're trying their dam.ndest for a plea bargain.
She (LiLo) is setting the example for herself, no one else is. Danette doesn't need to convict her to win, or for publicity, or blah blah blah! She's already a high profile, highly acclaimed attorney. She doesn't need LL, actually LL needs her!!!

dimes

This is the DA telling Holley she's ready to go to trial. She's calling Lohan's bluff.

susan

As Harvey said on TMZ live yesterday, if my house is worth $25,0000 and I put it on the market for $4ml, that is not the fair market price and the same principle applies to the necklace. We'll see what happens.

Personally I hope this goes to a jury, it may be difficult to find an impartial jury as this case is all over the media but I still believe in the jury system and their ability to determine a fair verdict. All Shawn Holley needs to establish is a reasonable doubt.

jb

I don't know any jewelry that isn't obscenely marked up. Regardless of what it may be actually worth, that's what the store was charging for it, end of story. But more importantly, reading between the lines as far as Lindsay's defense seems to be; Yeah, she stole the necklace and have now seemingly given up disputing that fact and instead looking to somehow reduce the charge. Hence, its not really worth what they say it is, tactic. At the end of the day, Lindsay still looks like a slippery, slimy, gooey little invertebrate. Which is exactly what she is!

bb

So, Lindsay's defense boils down to "yes, I did take that necklace but it SUCKED so I shouldn't have to go to prison." Ridiculous.

I agree with #10 JLS - this whole idea for a defense that the necklace was 'overpriced' is 100% laughable (and the fact that they are resorting to these desperate attempts to plead down to a misdemenor is all but admitting her guilt).

Even if it was a defense that could be used, I HIGHLY doubt a necklace of its type would be obtainable for under $950 even wholesale. The designer more than likely sold it to the store for more than that. If you are going to argue this particular necklace was obscenely overpriced it would follow that the same goes for all jewelry. Should we let all the jewel theives out of prison now since jewelry is overpriced?

bb