Inspirational 'Idol' Raises $27K For Disabled Fiancee

2/16/2011 9:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ever since "American Idol" hopeful Chris Medina revealed his financial struggles after a car accident left his fiancee partially paralyzed ... the couple has received thousands of dollars in donations ... TMZ has learned.

0215_american_idol_furnace_EX_launch_v2
We're told the money began pouring in from caring "Idol" fans after Chris explained how the couple was barely managing to cover the exorbitant medical bills. So far, we're told the donations have hit the $27,000 mark.

But the generosity isn't all in cash -- a local air conditioning and heating company donated a $4,000 furnace to Medina after hearing his heater was on the fritz. The company -- King Heating and A/C -- even installed it free of charge.

Chris is pretty stoked -- in fact, he plans to perform at the store as payback whenever his schedule opens up post-"Idol."

niles

Just a little confused. This article makes it seem as though this is Chris's house where he is taking care of his girlfriend. Upon viewing the Facebook account, though, her mother appears to be the primary caretaker and is running the show. In fact, she even mentions hiring another caretaker along with a T-shirt girl, whatever that is. It's admirable he is sticking with his girlfriend, but I don't think he is footing all the bills as this article implies.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

americans can be the best when they want to be

mija

I'm surprised to see people actually caring these days. It doesn't seem like anyone cares about anyone but themselves and apparently the American Idol audience are kind and generous. That's something most people refuse to do even to people who have nothing and are too proud to beg for help. This world sucks.

Frog

She was a drunk driver. Not too much pity on my end.

LAWRENCE

Frog, show me one article that says she was drunk driving. When I saw this story and also learned the accident took place at like 3AM I went looking for a story that it would be drunk driving and never found one. I think you're actually wrong about this because Fox is not stupid enough to feature this story on American Idol if she was involved in drunk driving. I think the story was that she either hydroplaned or hit black ice.

Mike

Agree with #5. I am by no means struggling and I feel for this man, I really do. But I cannot justify spending $200 on headphones. Unless they were also "donated," then I'll shut up.

Muppet

It's nice to see there are still good people out there.

A.T.

The fund link is here:

Davey Boy

That's pretty neat. Am glad there are some good-hearted people out there with money to give to a good cause.

Pete

Nice beats. Half of your furnace bill is wrapped around your neck.

Ron

1. Who cares about the friggin' headphones. He mixes/produces music for local bands, so why shouldn't he have some good headphones?
2. If you checked out the Facebook page, then you'd see a family member making the comment that 99% of the care is given by Janet and Chris. Of course Juliana's mother is running the show. She's the one dealing with the medical bills, etc. While he may not be "footing the bills," I'm sure that he's helping Janet pay for Juliana's care.

sammythebull

While I do feel for him and think he has an amazing story, I do find it odd that he can't pay for some things but can afford a $200 - $300 pair of BEATS by Dr. Dre headphones... then again those were probably donated too (yeah right).

kim

This is what i love about REAL americans. we see people in need and we help them, especially people who do the right thing like this guy.

all the haters complaining about "lots of people have money problems now...", etc are the people who would bail on their fiance if she were injured in this way!! you get back what you give, this guy did the right thing and people are responding with good. when you put out your hate/anger/envy, you get bad in return. it's actually very simple!

SW

She was NOT a drunk driver but was hit by one coming home from work as a waitress. You should get your facts straight before making yourself look stupid.

SW

I am actually a local in the area and King heting and A/C has been a fixture in our community for years, this a wonderful thing they have done to help another local family :) Thanks King, can't wait to see the tin man back up in May!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments