Billy Ray -- Hannah Montana 'Destroyed' My Family

2/15/2011 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Ray Cyrus believes "Hannah Montana" ruined his relationship with his daughter Miley Cyrus -- claiming, "The damn show destroyed my family."

0215_billy_ray_hanna_BN_TMZ_01

Billy Ray spilled his guts to GQ Magazine -- claiming Miley's handlers meddled in his relationship with his daughter and prevented him from properly parenting her through difficult situations ... including the Vanity Fair cover scandal and her controversial pole dancing performance at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards.

Billy says he hasn't spoken to Miley since the bong video surfaced and states, "I'm scared for her. She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger."

Billy also claims "there's no doubt" his family is under attack by Satan.

When asked about "Hannah Montana" -- Billy said, "I'll tell you right now -- the damn show destroyed my family."

Billy says he wishes "Hannah" had never happened -- saying, "I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal."

Billy also compares Miley to Anna Nicole Smith -- saying, "You could see that train wreck coming."

And there's a Michael Jackson connection -- during the interview, Billy revealed he tried to reach out to Michael Jackson before his death and invite him to a taping of the show ... explaining, "I just felt it would be good for Michael."

Billy never revealed if MJ ever took him up on his offer.

Miley Cyrus Scandals

The Topless 'Vanity Fair' Shoot

People were outraged when Miley posed topless (but covered) in 2008 for Annie Leibovitz's infamous Vanity Fair shoot. Miley issued an apology, saying, "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed."

The Inappropriate Photo

It's the photo that spawned a $4 billion lawsuit — the one of Miley and pals mocking Asian people by slanting their eyes. The photo came out in February, 2009 and prompted this apology: "I have learned a valuable lesson from this and know that sometimes my actions can be unintentionally hurtful. I know everything is a part of GOD's ultimate plan, and mistakes happen so that eventually I will become the woman he aspires me to be." By the way ... a judge threw out the massive lawsuit against Miley.

Miley Hits the Pole

In August of 2009, 16-year-old Miley pole danced during her performance at the TEEN CHOICE AWARDS ... and pissed off parents around the country in the process. Billy Ray defended her again, saying, "You know what? I just think that Miley loves entertaining people. I always tell her to love what you're doing and stay focused for the love of the art and not worry so much about opinion."

Miley Partying with a Bong

Miley's latest scandal — she celebrated her 18th birthday last year by taking a huge bong rip ... on video. As we first reported, sources close to Miley say she wasn't smoking weed — rather a substance called salvia that's legal in California. Miley broke her silence about the video two months after we posted it, saying, "I'm not perfect ... I made a mistake. I'm disappointed in myself for disappointing my fans."

Miley -- It's Corona Time

In November of last year, Miley was photographed with a Corona during a trip to Spain. But thanks to lax drinking laws there — people as young as 16 are allowed to consume — Miley wasn't on the hook for underage drinking.

Davey Boy

Hindsight being 20/20.

Gingern

Barf. Another mindless, no-talent celebrity bemoaning the hand that fed him and not taking responsibility for his own life. Maybe it's just a desperate attempt to be relevant. P.S. Stop name dropping Michael Jackson...makes you look like an even bigger tool. (How that's possible, I do not know!)

MomofTrips

Thats what you get for pimping out your kids!!!

Barbarascy

In a way I believe him. I imagine it can be very hard to tell a child who makes millions of dollars what to do. The balance of power is way off in a situation like that which is why I don't really like the idea of child stars. And as for 'handlers', well if you look at Hollywood in general that's the way that game is played. Charlie Sheen is surrounded by people who do anything he wants no matter how foolish, or dangerous. Miley is probably no different. Hopefully things will work themselves out and Miley will be wiser. Only time will tell. Billy Ray needs to stay strong and do the right thing as a father. He already has by calling Miley and her cronies out.

LongJohn69

Too little too late, shagman! You saw the trainwreck about to happen but you looked the other way and kept cashing the checks. I know from whence I speak. You can NEVER make this up to her. All you can hope is that she'll wake up to maturity on her own and not sue YOU for idiotic parenting as all those Disney brats have the right to do. You've created a monster, Dr. Cyrus-stein. Just pray her life doesn't end early because of the road YOU ALLOWED her to travel. As hard as I'm coming at you, I feel your pain. I'm living the same nightmare, myself.

dd

Dad where was ur mind when u took those provocative pictures with ur daughter?????

Jill Conway

Under attack from Satan?? What the h*ll has HE been smoking??

Tara

Considering that you, Billy Ray, were in the industry before you had your daughter you and your wife, and you and your wife alone, bare the responsiblity of what happens to your daughter. You knew and know now what the industry is like. Congratulations to selling out the the allmighty dollar!

supahJ

Disney checks say "Gummy Ray" instead of Billy Ray? Can you imagine how hard this blowhard pushed to get a show featuring his daughter...and himself?

Kari

Miley's parents chose to let their minor child be on a television show. History has told us how that usually ends--this is their own fault. The show didn't ruin their lives---their decision ruined their lives.

Different Rules Apply

Hind sight is 20/20 - you saw the dollar signs and couldn't resist. If you were truly concerned for your family, you would not have let your so young daughter go celebrity - way too young, way too much money. It's always a recipe for disaster.

francesmomto3

BULL....SHEETTTT!!! Man up Billy and admit you suck at being a father!

lori

Did we see this coming?! Did someone put a gun to his head to to be part of the show! All he keep seeing was those $$ signs! Was willing to take a gamble on morals and he lost! My kid wants to get into acting!...I say no way because I want my kid to have an education, sure the money is good when you have a show but it is not worth if it means you lose you child, money hungry handlers and you as a parent lose all rights in raising your child the proper way with morals. Lets see what happens if he decides to have some common sense and not repeat again with his younger kids! If he does then we know all his talking was a bunch of B.S.!

karlew

Publicly comparing your own kid to Anna Nicole Smith? What a douche bag. Sounds like he was having himself a little girl temper tantrum

MIDNIGHT TOKER