Billy Ray -- Hannah Montana 'Destroyed' My Family

2/15/2011 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Ray Cyrus believes "Hannah Montana" ruined his relationship with his daughter Miley Cyrus -- claiming, "The damn show destroyed my family."

0215_billy_ray_hanna_BN_TMZ_01

Billy Ray spilled his guts to GQ Magazine -- claiming Miley's handlers meddled in his relationship with his daughter and prevented him from properly parenting her through difficult situations ... including the Vanity Fair cover scandal and her controversial pole dancing performance at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards.

Billy says he hasn't spoken to Miley since the bong video surfaced and states, "I'm scared for her. She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger."

Billy also claims "there's no doubt" his family is under attack by Satan.

When asked about "Hannah Montana" -- Billy said, "I'll tell you right now -- the damn show destroyed my family."

Billy says he wishes "Hannah" had never happened -- saying, "I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal."

Billy also compares Miley to Anna Nicole Smith -- saying, "You could see that train wreck coming."

And there's a Michael Jackson connection -- during the interview, Billy revealed he tried to reach out to Michael Jackson before his death and invite him to a taping of the show ... explaining, "I just felt it would be good for Michael."

Billy never revealed if MJ ever took him up on his offer.

Miley Cyrus Scandals

The Topless 'Vanity Fair' Shoot

People were outraged when Miley posed topless (but covered) in 2008 for Annie Leibovitz's infamous Vanity Fair shoot. Miley issued an apology, saying, "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed."

The Inappropriate Photo

It's the photo that spawned a $4 billion lawsuit — the one of Miley and pals mocking Asian people by slanting their eyes. The photo came out in February, 2009 and prompted this apology: "I have learned a valuable lesson from this and know that sometimes my actions can be unintentionally hurtful. I know everything is a part of GOD's ultimate plan, and mistakes happen so that eventually I will become the woman he aspires me to be." By the way ... a judge threw out the massive lawsuit against Miley.

Miley Hits the Pole

In August of 2009, 16-year-old Miley pole danced during her performance at the TEEN CHOICE AWARDS ... and pissed off parents around the country in the process. Billy Ray defended her again, saying, "You know what? I just think that Miley loves entertaining people. I always tell her to love what you're doing and stay focused for the love of the art and not worry so much about opinion."

Miley Partying with a Bong

Miley's latest scandal — she celebrated her 18th birthday last year by taking a huge bong rip ... on video. As we first reported, sources close to Miley say she wasn't smoking weed — rather a substance called salvia that's legal in California. Miley broke her silence about the video two months after we posted it, saying, "I'm not perfect ... I made a mistake. I'm disappointed in myself for disappointing my fans."

Miley -- It's Corona Time

In November of last year, Miley was photographed with a Corona during a trip to Spain. But thanks to lax drinking laws there — people as young as 16 are allowed to consume — Miley wasn't on the hook for underage drinking.

anony

The very first, minute indication the this family is about to go the Lohan route.

t

this family places the blame on everyone else except themselves...i'm sure he wasn't complaining when those hannah montana checks were coming in. if it weren't for hannah montana or disney you wouldn't even be getting face time on tv. also i still hate that they destroyed annie leibovitz, the family was there while their daughter was taking pictures...if they had a problem then they could have pulled her and scratched it all. BUT NO....ooh..so annoying to me. stfu and collect your checks.

melissa b

I feel for him. Just thinking of other ppl coming in between my children and I pisses me off. I'd be doing some serious butt kicking. Hopefully things get better and they can work it all out and heal.

V

Hmmm... those checks were nice though. Now God is again relevant when things are broken. I think it is time we stop using God and Satan for our bad decisions and parenting skills, as a Christ
follower I would like God to not be a part of a ping-pong game. Miley has probably seen the hypocrites in her home and is doing her rebellion thing. No amount of money and fame is worth losing a childhood and now we see the results. Do your homework, find the pro & cons before signing away your kids.

Jason Smith

Just like acky breaky heart did to his career the Hannah Montana show did to his daughter career! COme on you seen money money money and agree with allot of other people you acted on it and when it was time to renew for more episodes you should of said no. But I just money is more important than fathering. Anyways peace out peeps

Yeah Right

He says that now that the show is over and no more weekly paychecks coming in. Greed is a funny thing. The show was good to them while it was running now that it is over he blames it for his problems. Grow Up dumba$$

DANA

I can say Hanna MOntana is the most dumb show I ever saw in my entire life. No acting skills, very poor scenario and not funny at all. Its still over me how come people were watching that crap and this dude got multiple milions of $. Cry me a river.

cekeste

Some of you guys are way too hard on him. Throughout my teenage and young adult years, I was a successful international athlete. Athletics are supposedly all positive for kids but once I got sucked in and there were influences from all around, my parents were belittled to me and pushed out of any decision making processes. It ruined us and we're still trying to reconcile.

In short, you WANT you child to be successful, don't you?

MIDNIGHT TOKER

miley at least supports pro choice and believe life begins at birth......
plus she has a really nice rack

SantaFeJack

Too late, Pops! She was a minor all of that time, and if you hadn't been so busy counting your share of the loot, you might have stepped in and stopped her personal decline. Money is not the root of all evil, it's the LOVE of money that kills people and relationships. Your and your family are a case in point.

Cecilia

@cekeste

People can belittle parents to their kids all they want, but no one can push them out of the decision making process for a minor child.

My kid, my rules, my decisions.
And if I don't like something I see happening with my child, it's my responsibility to handle it.

Lisa

Pathetic trailer trash talk. And he would look better if he got rid of that dead caterpillar under his lip.

EsorAnin

Then get your daughter and family away from the show. If this was REALLY a concern, rather than a convenient theory, wouldn't the Cyrus family try to get as far away from Hannah Montana as possible? Or were the paychecks too good to pass up?

Her handlers are getting in the way? This is exactly what Britney Spears's parents were claiming when she was going through her whole mess but they DID something about it rather than just blab to GQ. Britney was over 18 when her parents took control, if this is really a concern then he can do the same thing.

And what's this about Satan? TMZ posted that and then left it alone, kind of a bizarre statement, no?

Jleigh

Settle down, Michael Lohan

NoBreederRat

"...handlers meddled in his relationship with his daughter and prevented him from properly parenting her through difficult situations..."

You and your wife were the parents and you were both responsible. Do not try to blame this on someone else. She was a minor child and you and your wife CHOSE to enter into an agreement that would put your daughter in the entertainment business.

She was your child for heavens sake! Everyone knows very few showbiz children come out of the business alive muchless functional! You don't put them there in the first place but if you do and you see something you don't like then pull her out and tell Disney to sue you over breach of contract.

But no. You CHOSE money over the welfare of your child. You disgust me.