Billy Ray -- Hannah Montana 'Destroyed' My Family

2/15/2011 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Ray Cyrus believes "Hannah Montana" ruined his relationship with his daughter Miley Cyrus -- claiming, "The damn show destroyed my family."

0215_billy_ray_hanna_BN_TMZ_01

Billy Ray spilled his guts to GQ Magazine -- claiming Miley's handlers meddled in his relationship with his daughter and prevented him from properly parenting her through difficult situations ... including the Vanity Fair cover scandal and her controversial pole dancing performance at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards.

Billy says he hasn't spoken to Miley since the bong video surfaced and states, "I'm scared for her. She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger."

Billy also claims "there's no doubt" his family is under attack by Satan.

When asked about "Hannah Montana" -- Billy said, "I'll tell you right now -- the damn show destroyed my family."

Billy says he wishes "Hannah" had never happened -- saying, "I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal."

Billy also compares Miley to Anna Nicole Smith -- saying, "You could see that train wreck coming."

And there's a Michael Jackson connection -- during the interview, Billy revealed he tried to reach out to Michael Jackson before his death and invite him to a taping of the show ... explaining, "I just felt it would be good for Michael."

Billy never revealed if MJ ever took him up on his offer.

Miley Cyrus Scandals

The Topless 'Vanity Fair' Shoot

People were outraged when Miley posed topless (but covered) in 2008 for Annie Leibovitz's infamous Vanity Fair shoot. Miley issued an apology, saying, "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed."

The Inappropriate Photo

It's the photo that spawned a $4 billion lawsuit — the one of Miley and pals mocking Asian people by slanting their eyes. The photo came out in February, 2009 and prompted this apology: "I have learned a valuable lesson from this and know that sometimes my actions can be unintentionally hurtful. I know everything is a part of GOD's ultimate plan, and mistakes happen so that eventually I will become the woman he aspires me to be." By the way ... a judge threw out the massive lawsuit against Miley.

Miley Hits the Pole

In August of 2009, 16-year-old Miley pole danced during her performance at the TEEN CHOICE AWARDS ... and pissed off parents around the country in the process. Billy Ray defended her again, saying, "You know what? I just think that Miley loves entertaining people. I always tell her to love what you're doing and stay focused for the love of the art and not worry so much about opinion."

Miley Partying with a Bong

Miley's latest scandal — she celebrated her 18th birthday last year by taking a huge bong rip ... on video. As we first reported, sources close to Miley say she wasn't smoking weed — rather a substance called salvia that's legal in California. Miley broke her silence about the video two months after we posted it, saying, "I'm not perfect ... I made a mistake. I'm disappointed in myself for disappointing my fans."

Miley -- It's Corona Time

In November of last year, Miley was photographed with a Corona during a trip to Spain. But thanks to lax drinking laws there — people as young as 16 are allowed to consume — Miley wasn't on the hook for underage drinking.

TO

Wow I'm privileged to be amongst so many perfect people and perfect parents who have perfect children...you're all going to heaven where all the perfect people go...but wait, first we have to nail you to a cross like the last perfect person that walked the earth. The girl is 18, let her fall on her ass a few times and she'll grow up, just like the rest of us did! Not one of you is without mistakes so suck it up and get real. The guy is just beside himself like so many other parents in this world and is venting.

hello

Oh please! Blaming everyone else for poor parenting. She was a minor child while doing the show, so Billy Ray blaming her handlers on her making bad decisions is a cop out. He has no one to blame but himself.

George Push

How about that? Had your kid made millions in the show then blamed it for ruined your family this is a classic of ungreatful S.O.B! And why did he dare to compare his little princess with the great MJ! Dream on Billy!

O

Gimme a break. Billy Ray was the quintessential Stage Dad. And now that she's all "growed-up" and in the clutches of the Hollywood sex/drugs crowd he wants to take it all back? Whatta goof! I live in So Cal and I have 6 adorable children. There is a REASON they have never shown up for an audition.

susan

Free Miley! It is a fact that she loves getting pounded hard and deep by the huge ****s of much older men! She has even tried anal double penetration and anal creampies. There is nothing you can do Billy Ray. Let her be free!

??

Wasn't complaining while he was cashing all those pay checks from Disney now was he. Now M. Lohan Jr, I mean Billy Ray wants to blame someone else for his greed. Well I wish him luck, but it is so true you reap what you sew and he sewed this as sure as if he had written a script of it. Now she is 18 and all the indulgences of her youth are up to her to manage. Good luck salvaging her, but I see another Britney/Lindsey coming on fast.

Rico

The pathetic Lohans at least have the excuse of being new to the business, Mike was a felon and sometime stock broker, DuiDina was a waitress or some such, they just happened to spawn a pretty daughter and got into show biz by the back door. Billy Ray, however, did not just fall off the back of the turnip truck. He was big in the music business and then had his own TV show, so for him to pretend ignorance of the ways of show biz is just lame! He should have been a REAL parent when she was young enough to control. Now is he just crying because his paycheck is cut off.

puddintang

It kills me when people say he used her as a meal ticket, spent her money etc. The man was rich and famous before Miley was even born. He didn't need her fame or money to support himself. He made HER famous, not the other way around. It's sad that he lost his family to all this. I completely understand what he's saying and I feel his pain. I for one will be praying for his family.

Physical Graffiti

Then send back all the money your family earned from the show. How's that?

jen25

Just read the GQ article. BRC doesn't come across as a greedy or bad guy, just immensely naive and obviously very regretful at how it's all turned out. As a parent, I would never make the same choices, but I think his regret is real, and I feel bad for the guy. Too bad the vast majority of stage parents won't learn a single thing from his mistakes.

BTW, TMZ quotes the article in saying he hasn't seen Miley since the salvia incident, but the interview was done only a week after it happened...

Italia

Child star turns 18, Dad no longer in control of the money.

Billy, get a job.

Maybe your lack of faith in your daughter is what drove her away, not to mention calling her a "train wreck".

WE, the general public, can call her a train wreck, which may or may not be true, but parents are supposed to stick by their children and support them, and Billy, you're doing the opposite.

Italia

This is a very familiar symptom of parent of child stars who turn 18 and the father, I mean parents, are no longer in control of the money.

Apparently, Billy Ray found out that Miley was the one with all the money.

Get a job Billy.

jason

If you believe there's no doubt that your family is under attack from Satan, then you have serious problems with reality and have no business being a parent.

Sonja

Satan? .. more like plain old greed for money and fame. Having been in the music business how the hell did he let all those other people call the shots? He was the parent and could have pulled the plug or set things up accordingly from the get go.

keith

Why is he so pissed. That show was the best thing that happened to HIS career!!