'Celeb Rehab' Rocker -- Busted with Prescription Pills

2/18/2011 1:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr was carrying an unmarked bottle of prescription drugs when cops arrested him in Utah last night ... this according to police documents obtained by TMZ.

0218_mike_starr_Getty_EX

Cops say Starr -- who appeared on "Celebrity Rehab" in 2009 -- was in possession of 6 pills of a painkiller called Opana and 6 pills of Xanax ... an anti-anxiety drug.

According to the documents, Starr didn't have a prescription for either drug -- and was arrested on 2 felony counts of possession of a controlled substance.

Starr was taken to a nearby police station ... where he is still being held on $20,000 bail.

UPDATE: According to the police report, Mike tried to pull the whole "Do you know who I am?" card -- saying"

"[Mike] stated 'Hey officer, have you heard of Alice in Chains? I used to be the base [sic] guitarist for them. We are down here in Utah. Me and Travis are putting together a new band.'"

I Poppy

Anyone ever hear of the disease concept? About 10% to 15% of the US population have the actual DISEASE of addiction. The fact that Mike's disease is centered around opiates, which results in a much stronger physical dependency than, say, cocaine or meth just makes his fight that much harder. Opana is no joke; it's time released Dilaudid (hydromorphone), which is about 3X stronger than heroin. A relapse is not the end of the fight. Mike knows what to do to fight his addiction, I just hope he can do it.
God Bless and good luck!

amanda

I don't feel sorry for him one bit! Do it for Layne? He couldn't do it for Layne when he was alive. He had a chance to save Layne's life but when Layne told him he would disown him if he called for help, he didn't. A true friend would have called for help no matter what. I know because I told a friend 5 years ago that I would disown them if they called for help. I will be celebrating 5 years sober April 15th. He did this to himself. If he really wanted to be sober, he would be sitting in a Utah jail still claiming to be the bassist for AIC.

chickivicki

Mike hang in there. You were doing great and seemed like you really wanted to get clean. You can do it!!

Landshark

I feel sorry for the guy. I thought he woulda turned around. BUT I have this message for Mike. Buddy your a Bass player for Alice in Chains. Your NOT Gene Simmons from a Band everyone knows like KISS.. LOL

NoBreederRat

@19. Where Jordan writes: "Even after you get clean you can have PAWS, (post accute withdrawal syndrome) for 3,6 months to a year of being miserable."

Crap. I've never heard of that. More fun for folks to look forward to.

Mike pulling the "don't you know who I am card" should result in the other person pulling the "don't you remember what happened to Layne" card.

NoBreederRat

@66. I don't feel sorry for him one bit! Do it for Layne? He couldn't do it for Layne when he was alive. He had a chance to save Layne's life but when Layne told him he would disown him if he called for help, he didn't.

Posted at 7:51 PM on Feb 18, 2011 by amanda
-------------------------------

Everyone knew Layne was at death's door but no one could save him. As a recovering addict yourself *you know* that unless someone wants help, phone calls are pointless.

Layne had every chance to save his own life and didn't. He was responsible for his own death. Don't blame Layne's addiction on Mike.

Magola

That opana crap is serious stuff. I have seen my son tumble down a light of stairs on that crap. I hate it!!!

Carvey

Dude, you haven't been in Alice in Chains for 18 years. Time to stop playing that card.

Bob

'Hey officer, have you heard of Alice in Chains? I used to be the base [sic] guitarist...'

Had I been the cop, and having listened to a lot of Alice in Chains, I would have cut him off right there to inquire whether he had any heroin on him.

Tony

He said that he was in utah with travis. Does he mean travis meeks from days of the new. That would be something if they got togethor for a band.

BSweet

This case VS the Charlie Sheen case...hello? I mean...HELLO??? A couple pills and he's in jail? But Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan basically get free passes? That's just wrong.

How you doing, Mike? Still trying to f*** other people's girlfriends?

steve

There is a free real time biometric system being offered to pharmacys in Florida that catches fake ID and never uses patient personal information thereby making it the most HIPAA advanced system ever. The free system is offered by biotech medical software at University of Central Florida BioScriptRx com This system doesn't need new laws or cost the tax payers a penny. BioScriptRx only uses the finger scan for patient ID. That finger can only go to one doctor and it checks to see if that finger has been to another doctor. Until we stop fake ID and will only have a bandaid and people will die.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/2011/02/ky-lawmaker-makes-case-fla-pill-monitoring-0#ixzz1EQhzHgYl

Bob

there goes TMZ exaggeratting again it was not a drug bust it was a simple traffic stop and they found drugs. You idiots try to make something big out of nothing

KB

This guy has a serious problem with Opiates that is not solved overnight. It's going to take more than 3 weeks at some F'd up rehab and a couple weeks of sober living to stay clean. I'm sure he would love nothing more than to be clean and free of addiction. That or dead. Anyone with an Opiate problem feels that way. I know full well. I have had a problem with heroin for a number of years and haven't been able to put any substantial clean time together. What did that colonial guy say? "Give me cleanliness or give me Death"!

Jenny Fonseca

I just hope and pray for Mike's well being, he is such an amazing bassplayer and we would love to see him performing asap.
-Whatever the cir***stances of your arrest were; we stand by you. adversity makes us who we are Mike and its just making you stronger.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments