Charlie Sheen's Dad: His Disease Is Like a Cancer

2/23/2011 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Charlie Sheen's father, Martin Sheen, says his son has a problem -- and it's as bad as cancer.

0223_sheen_video
"He's an extraordinary man," Martin says of his son to Sky News, "He's doing well, we pray for him. If he had cancer, how would you treat him? This disease of addiction is a form of cancer. You have to have an equal measure of concern and love and lift him up."

Charlie himself doesn't appear too worried -- he was spotted on a yacht date with two "goddesses" Monday night.

Jackie

What an *******. How f!cking dare you compare drug abuse to cancer? Karma is a bitch and one day you will f!cking regret your words. Shame on you idiot Martin.

CCC

To make a statement that you have no choice about cancer is only partially true. Lung and skin cancer is commonly prevented. If you choose to lay out in the sun with no protection, you may get skin cancer. Those who smoke cigarettes are most likely going to get lung and throat cancer. These too are choice people make, just like an addiction of drugs and alcohol. The comparison the Martin made may have been worded wrong, but the point he was trying to make wasn't put out to be mean.

Criss

Um, sorry Marty, but addiction is nothing at all like cancer.

Melinda

A cancer patient wants help, Charlie does not.

steve ryan

Hey Martin-----you almost died on the set of Apocolypse Now from a cocaine induced heart attack......but to this issue:

To compare your junkie son's lifestyle choices to the cancer that killed my mother, which she didn't choose, is completely moronic. You are an enabler by diminishing your son's culpability for his addiction, and assigning that blame to an incurable disease, namely cancer. The diease of addiction is, in fact, NOT a form of cancer. Lie to yourself if it helps you accept having a junkie loser for a son. But stop lying to the rest of the world. BTW...... "an extraordinary man"? Really? The only thing extraordinary about Charlie that he's still alive, and he's not in prison. If I stuck a knife to my wife's neck, that's were I'd be!

steve ryan

gutsygirl

It's like I always say: Follow a (blank) home and a bigger (blank) will answer the door. In Charlie's/Martin's case the optimal word is "druggy."

kim

wow...actually a fan of martin sheen, however the comments made that addiction is like cancer is absurd. Here's some food for thought....you have a diabetic, an alcoholic/drug/food addict and you have a cancer patient..you lock them all up in separate rooms...who will get better and who will die???? That's right....the addict will get better because there is no DISEASE there...only mental weakness/bad choices.(however the diabetic and cancer patient wont survive because they truly have a disease). Charlie is clearly chosing his fate. He is well aware of the consequences of the choices he is making and makes no bones about it....let him go....but please do not say he has a disease..i find that ridiculous.....a disease is something you cant control , being an addict is.

Kevin

I think Emilio Estevez is just stoked that he isn't the black sheep of the family, not as successful or exposed as Charlie, but definitely the better son.

Hey Emilio...quack...quack...quack...QUACK!...QUACK!...QUACK!

diane

His dad's words comparing Charlie to cancer is disgusting. I understand his feelings for his son, he is not the only one that has an addict in his family. Charlie has been given a free ride and has never had to take responsibility for himself, this is his biggest problem. His dad needs to realize that he can love him but also practice "tough love". I would be more concerned about what he is doing to his children, how sad. People stop being afraid to stand up to Charlie and let him fall on his butt by himself, then you will see him get cured!

Bizzi

Charlie Sheens problems are like Cancer????WTf you deserve all the hate directed at you now noob. Charlie is a ****ing JUNKIE brought on by himself and fed by himself not some ****ing mystery illness that kills thousands of great kind JUNK FREE men and women every ****ing year you uneducated fool.......

steve ryan

Hey Kim (#84) I love your philosophy. I'm going to borrow that next time I have this arguement. Cheers! (#81)

Don Alex

Congratulations, Martin Sheen, you just showed yourself to be one of the most clueless idiots in Hollywood, no easy feat by any means. Your boneheaded analogy of your rich dirtbag son's drug and hooker fetish with cancer is easily the dumbest statement Ive heard in a very long time. Pray for your feeble mind, Sheen, I think youve got early signs of dementia, at the very least a very terminal case of stupidity.

keely

I miss the west wing. I hope for the best Mr. Sheen. I will pray for him too. My mother died of alcoholism. I know the power of addiction. I wanted her to quit so bad. Even though she was really hard to be around when she was drinking I miss her every day and I grieve for my children that never knew their Grandmother. Just keep trying. Don't ever give up. You seem like a good father but unless he wants help himself you can't force him.

all the best