Charlie Sheen's Publicist Quits

2/28/2011 4:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Charlie Sheen's longtime publicist has quit, TMZ has learned.

Stan Rosenfield

Stan Rosenfield tells TMZ ... he's resigning because "I worked with Charlie Sheen for a long time and I care about him very much, however, at this time, I'm unable to work effectively as his publicist and have respectfully resigned."

Rosenfield resigned minutes after Sheen appeared live on TMZ this morning ... where the actor insinuated Stan lied to the media on his behalf regarding the hotel trashing incident at The Plaza Hotel in NYC back in October.

Stan had issued a statement saying Charlie was hospitalized that night for an "allergic reaction."

When Mike Walters asked Charlie about the medical explanation, CS responded, "I was asleep when that statement went out."

Sheen added, "I respect Stan ... he was doing the best he could in that moment ... had I confirmed with him, I probably would have come up with something better. "

Nicole

Way to leave the guy when he needs you the most. I love all these people that have been sucking money from him for years and now when he needs help, everyone bails.

Mikey

Charlie seems pretty normal to me except for being a little pissed off which is understandable. The guy carried the show for nine years but the minute he wants to party and live the way he wants everyone says he's nuts and tries to pressure him by canceling the show. Congrats for not backing down Charlie!

lou

#23, Doreen, I couldn't agree more! You can't tell me that everyone in the media doesn't know that he's manic depressive and on one of his manic rampages. So then why interview a clearly mentally ill man? Just because he's a big star does not preclude the possibility that he is insane. You don't take advantage of one part of the equation just to get some ratings for the other end of it. Not cool.

Mikey

Charlie has obviously pulled the Matrix Tubes outta his head, Cheers!

greg borgogna

i think sheen is a very rational lucid invidual with very valid points of view,

signed

Mel Gibson

Kari

I have a lot of respect for Stan Rosenfield. Look around Charlie---you aren't the man anymore. Not only is defeat an option---it has already happened. You are a sinking ship.

HarlotO'Hara

don't blame anyone for charlie's peen pos lifestyle except him.

Googie

Drug abuse has taken it's toll & Charlie needs a conservatorship. Either his father or the Public Guardian should file for involuntary mental health treatment & estate management.

Either he gets help now or sadly someone will be planning his funeral. His brain if fried!

kp

this guy is total wacko, he needs to be put in a room that is padded.
he should be paid 3 million dollars per episode because he was put thru so much hell.
WACK JOB CRASH AND BURN

writenow

Stan should have gotten combat pay. And to be fair - he probably should have quit after Charlie first began beating up women.

Canadian Fan

Who is his new publicist? Chuck Lorre?

Time for a psychiatric hold.

suza271

Did no one notice the typo in this? Who in the heck is CL? Check your story before you post it!!

Hey Now

If Sheen's family were trying to get something done through the courts, would we know about it? Would it be public record? I hope they are trying.

Paula

Charlie Sheen = Loser

Ray

He will be lucky if he can get through this week without having a heart attack.Its not a pretty detox.