D.A. On Verge Of Charging Mel Gibson

2/28/2011 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sources connected with the Mel Gibson criminal investigation tell TMZ ... Gibson is about to be charged with domestic violence, but Oksana Grigorieva will not be charged with extortion.

Mel Gibson Charged
Multiple sources say the die is not officially cast, but the powers that be think there's enough evidence to prosecute Mel, however not enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Oksana extorted him -- notwithstanding that she demanded $15 million from him in return for keeping the tapes secret.

All of our sources say ... the turning point for prosecutors was the fact that prior to Oksana going to the Sheriff's Department and accusing Gibson of domestic violence, Mel's family law attorneys filed a declaration in the family law case, in which Mel admits to slapping Oksana -- he says because she was shaking baby Lucia wildly and feared Shaken Baby Syndrome.
0227_mel_doc_rip_2
We're told the likely charge against Mel will be misdemeanor domestic violence -- he will not be charged with a felony.  Misdemeanor domestic violence carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail.

Sources say the extortion investigation has become a bone of contention between the D.A. and the L.A. County Sheriff's Department.  We're told Sheriff's investigators believe there is sufficient evidence -- much of which has not been made public -- to prosecute Oksana, but the D.A. doesn't agree.

As for a timetable ... we're told the decision is expected in the next two weeks, and very possibly this week.

0708_gibson_fotter_550

emerald

Sam, Ohhh Sam, where are you hiding with those brownies, can I plead a pretty case for a brownie lol? The space shuttle docked late, they ran out of the free chilled Pinot Grigio and my hair is standing on end - it took forever to get out of the immigration gate since MY hair is green, with pink tinges and it set the alarms off every time I tried to exit the door!! My ears are ringing still and my brain has started to collapse from lack of stimulant - of the alcoholic variety of course lol!! Hugs

Belinda

Posted at 7:13 PM on Mar 2, 2011 by emerald
____________________________________________________

ROFL ... well that should get you at least one brownie.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Double gooeyness all around! :P EVERYONE deserves two!

emerald

Celtic Whoa, you want an eye mask to keep the light out too, just in case the screen starts to blind you lol? Sounds like you may need one soon lol!

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Have FOUR Celtic--tey're really gooey good.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Posted at 7:13 PM on Mar 2, 2011 by emerald

Life is gooey when your green. Have another :).

emerald

Double gooeyness all around! :P EVERYONE deserves two!

Posted at 7:16 PM on Mar 2, 2011 by Sam

Sam You rock!! Two, I'm so happy I could dance around the laptop lol!

Belinda

Double gooeyness all around! :P EVERYONE deserves two!

Posted at 7:16 PM on Mar 2, 2011 by Sam
_______________________________________________________

See what I mean you guys ... she's counting them now too.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Sam You rock!! Two, I'm so happy I could dance around the laptop lol!

Posted at 7:20 PM on Mar 2, 2011 by emerald

If you aren't happy now...you WILL be...:P Have another.

Celtic

John,
Great idea with the splicing and dicing a tape just for Ox. I would love to see something like that go viral.

emerald

Life is gooey when your green. Have another :).

Posted at 7:19 PM on Mar 2, 2011 by Sam

Sssssshh!! Don't say that, they'll all be claiming to be green just to get another one lol!

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

( one....two...three......four....six...no no no five...six...seight...nope seven..yeah seven...eight..nine...and biente, biente un uno...no no no twelve...yeah twelve...thirteen....)

Belinda

Celtic ...

You must get to see some really awful behavior dealing in divorces.

Celtic

Have FOUR Celtic--tey're really gooey good.

Posted at 7:17 PM on Mar 2, 2011 by Sam

You are a true friend if you're willing to share those special brownies.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

I knew you'd need 'em so I made extra. :)

Previous 15 Comments | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments