Charlie Sheen Demands Apology from Jewish Group

3/1/2011 1:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Charlie Sheen claims he doesn't hate Chuck Lorre because of his "Jewishness" ... he hates him for other reasons ... and now Sheen is lashing out at a Jewish org. for insinuating he's an anti-Semite.

0301_charlie_doc_launch_EX

Sheen is still FURIOUS with the Anti-Defamation League for saying the actor exhibited "borderline anti-Semitism" when he referred to the "Two and a Half Men" creator by his Hebrew name Chaim Levine.

Now, Sheen's lawyer -- legal pitbull Marty Singer -- has fired off a letter to the ADL demanding a retraction  ... because Sheen's only intention was to "address the man rather than his television persona."

In the letter, Singer points out that Chuck has referred to himself by the name Chaim on a vanity card back in February ... a vanity card in which Charlie claims Chuck writes about "a lifetime of distancing himself from Judaism."

In fact, Team Charlie insinuates the ADL should denounce Lorre for acknowledging his "disdain for the Jewish religion."

Calls to the ADL have not been returned.

KateMae

Charlie, you'd best find yourself a really good psychiatrist and take your meds as directed.

film reel

My comments were for the racist posters not Charlie specific

oldschoolbh

Charlie Sheen or "Carlos Estevez" is a joke. The drugs have screwed his brain up so badly that he seems to really "believe" the bs that he spews. My only complaint with the producers of his show is simple. He is actually the character he portrays on the show. He has morphed into Charlie Harper. If he is pissed at anyone, he should be pissed at the people who made his life into the show. He is a wreck. He is delusional. I am done with the show. I'm bored with hearing his name associated with bad behavior. I am tired of seeing him and hearing him speak on TV. Next wreck...please go to the head of the line--Charlie has left the theater.

GEL

I don't think he was being anti-semitic necessarily...but I do find it highly unusual for someone who is NOT Jewish to refer to someone who IS by his/her Hebrew name. I don't know about anyone else on here but I have several Jewish friends and I have never, NEVER used their Hebrew name. I've always found it at the very least disrespectful to refer to someone by their Hebrew name when you don't share their religion.

Charlie is so delusional now it's not even funny...should be interesting to see how he behaves when he comes out of his manic phase and hits the serious depression coming his way. I'm convinced the man is Bi-Polar and he's not being treated.

ElliE

getting real tired of charlie sheen and his poor story now...this is just going down in a spiral that all of us who have lived long enough has seen before...no hope... Please tell us some happy stories now TZM!!!

TrixLaRue

SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!! SHUT UP CHUCKIE!!! GO TO BED WOULD YOU!

Barb

As off the wall as Sheen has been the last few weeks..............calling someone by their given name is not being an anti-semite................if that is the case............Chuck's family can't call him by his given name........by the way Chaim is a much lovlier name.

I think this part of it is a campaign to defame, marginalize & prevent Sheen from getting further employment......which isn't cool at all.

roxy

Danielle # 74
Yes, many groups have been discriminated against and there have been plenty of genocides around the world - the Armenians, the Tutsis, around 200,000 gypsies/Roma during WWII (BTW their discrimination still goes on today in Europe where they are being kicked out of one country after the other – and no one seems to care).
I grew up in South Africa and the Apartheid system was appalling – I still can’t believe how it was when I tell my children about separate toilets and benches pass books and the people who died in jail. Long live Mandela – my hero.
But the scale of the Jewish genocide - 6 million people - is unprecedented. They were systematically wiped off the face of the earth - factories (gas chambers) set up to kill them. There has been nothing like this ever.
My grandparents, great grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins were marched many kilometres in the freezing snow from Riga, Latvia, to Rumbula forests, made to strip, line up and then shot into massive graves.
My family are all very pale skinned with blue eyes – yes, all those pogrom attacks and rapes long before WWII.
But six million people killed over 70 years ago and today they say they are probably only 13 million Jews in the world today – that is spectacular. And Anti Semitism continues to this day with many incidents reported around the world and a rise of it in the US, post global financial crisis, where many people blame the Jews on Wall Street or in large banks for all the problems of today. Bernie Madoff didn’t help the situation either.
You can’t blame Jews for being concerned and on their guard.
I now live in Australia which has a small Jewish population and many people are ignorant about Jews. Some people have never met a Jew in their lives. So in business and in my professional life I don’t push the fact that I am Jewish, nor do I hide it. But I can understand where Jews like Chuck Lorre are coming from. Life is hard enough without having to be seen as “different” or being discriminated from quarters you would not even know about.
I can also understand that the ADL’s perspective. Besides Foxman didn’t court the media, he merely responded when approached and he never said Charlie was an anti semite. He merely said: “His words are at best bizarre, and at worst, borderline anti-Semitism.”
Charlie needs to take responsibility for his actions and not start blaming everyone else for his problems. I am not sure whether he is an anti semite – his lawyer, publicist and probably many other people he’s hired are Jewish. And its not so much what he said but the tone of how he said it – as someone else noted earlier here: “It wasn't that he used the name "Chaim" it was the way it which he said it....dripping with sarcasm.”
Charlie is banging his head against the world, but really it all this started when the powers that be demanded he go into rehab and he refused – typical addict behaviour when in denial.
Charlie refused. He thought he could do it at home, but look where that got him - on a crazy manic spiral that he will regret when he comes down.
The powers that be were probably worried about their investments, but I am sure they also wanted to help him and rehab away from home would be the best way to do that. They even had the corporate jet waiting – to help him.
He gave his word that he’d clean up but what major businessman is going to risks millions of dollars, hundreds of jobs and the reputation of his organisation on the word of an unreliable addict on a downward spiral?
And, I think the “Chiam” comments may have just been the final straw for Moonves, who I gather is Jewish too.

Jenna

i used to admire his carefree do anything lifestyle, but alas he has belabored his point, which is what??, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, his old man sucks.

Posted at 8:41 AM on Mar 1, 2011 by artie help
___________________________________________________________________
You are a total idiot. Do you even know a single thing about Martin Sheen? Martin Sheen is quite the humanitarian. He has supported and fought for so many wonderful causes, I cannot even begin to list them here. It would take pages and pages.

Your sign-on name is artie help. You need help, seriously. Before you make azzwipe comments such as the IGNORANT comment you made, CHECK THE FACTS. Go to Wiki right now at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Sheen. He is a political activist and wonderful man. I appreciate all the protests he has participated in on my behalf. You go, Martin Sheen. I'd be proud to call you a friend.

jase

Yeah get em Charlie. Let them bankrupt them, let them know they can just go after who every dares criticizes of a jewish person.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Yeah. Except Chuck Lorre's name is Charles--Chaim is his "Hebrew name". So, one might be correct in assuming Charlie wanted to address the Jewish man.

Kate

THE PADDED CELL's ALL READY FOR 'YA, CHARLIE!

Kate

To "Team Charlie's insinuating that the ADL should denounce Chuck Lorre for acknowledging his 'disdain for the Jewish religion'".

At least Lorre is COGNIZANT of his thoughts and HONEST and ARTICULATE about expressing them re: his personal issues (witness the success of "Two and a Half Men").
Know ex-Catholics, fundamentalist Baptists and ex-Mormons who say the SAME about the religion or tradition they were born into, sometimes in VERY vitrolioc ways.

Also, read-up on Chuck Lorre... he sure wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He's worked hard and smart and "forbore" in his Life and Career. Lorre ENDURED a lotta of grief. So have many of us.

c sheen needs to JOIN the human species, IF it'll HAVE him!

leslie

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE END OF ALL THE "VICTIMS" IN THIS COUNTRY! WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF PEOPLE WOULD ADDRESS THEIR PROBLEMS AND COMMENTS TO THE ISSUE WITHOUT RUNNING AROUND CALLING RACIST! ANTI-SEMITIC! ANTI GAY! ANTI ILLEGALS. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE EVERYONE. I SEE JUST A BUNCH OF CRY BABIES RUNNING AROUND, CONVERSATION AFTER CONVERSATION HOW THIS IS SO TERRIBLE AND THE ONE WHO MADE A COMMENT BECOMES A MARKED PERSON. WHILE BLASTING CHARLIE USING LORRE'S GIVEN NAME, THEN CHARLIE CAN BE INDIGNANT WHEN CALLED CARLOS HIS GIVE NAME. GROW UP PEOPLE!

'

Tiffany

Charlie Sheen does not need to apologize to any group on th contrary the Jews people in Hollywood and the media need to apologize him and the entire Latino/Hispanic community in this country , because of all the racism and discrimination the Latino/Hispanic community have and continue to experience in Hollywood and the media.