Charlie Sheen Demands Apology from Jewish Group

3/1/2011 1:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Charlie Sheen claims he doesn't hate Chuck Lorre because of his "Jewishness" ... he hates him for other reasons ... and now Sheen is lashing out at a Jewish org. for insinuating he's an anti-Semite.

0301_charlie_doc_launch_EX

Sheen is still FURIOUS with the Anti-Defamation League for saying the actor exhibited "borderline anti-Semitism" when he referred to the "Two and a Half Men" creator by his Hebrew name Chaim Levine.

Now, Sheen's lawyer -- legal pitbull Marty Singer -- has fired off a letter to the ADL demanding a retraction  ... because Sheen's only intention was to "address the man rather than his television persona."

In the letter, Singer points out that Chuck has referred to himself by the name Chaim on a vanity card back in February ... a vanity card in which Charlie claims Chuck writes about "a lifetime of distancing himself from Judaism."

In fact, Team Charlie insinuates the ADL should denounce Lorre for acknowledging his "disdain for the Jewish religion."

Calls to the ADL have not been returned.

Jeep Fu

Sheen is standing up to the Jews...yep...now his career is over. You think the Jews were calling him anti-Semitic before? Just wait...

Nancy

I apologize on their behalf, Charlie. The Jews are the biggest whiners ever. Oh, and did I mention cheap? But mostly whiners. Wah, Wah, Wah. Bunch of wimps.

roxy

Harvey, you said Charlie's possible borderline antisemetic comments left you very cold. I just cant understand how you allow some of the antisemetic or other racist comments to be posted on this site. I do believe in free speech, but surely there has to be some way to remove/filter offensive or abusive comments against any group of people.

roxy

Kate, I'd love to read up more about Chuck's trials and tribulations - where can I find out more? I did a quick search on the internet but didn't come up with much except about his career.

fthemjoos

You can say anything about white people but just call a jew by his real name and it's national news. And they wonder why everyone hates them. People who think that jews don't run hollyweird and the media are complete ignorant fools.

Danielle

Roxy, it is obvious my remarks went right over your head and you think Jewish people should have more rights than others, I don't agree with you.

John

"I just cant understand how you allow some of the antisemetic or other racist comments to be posted on this site.I do believe in free speech, but surely there has to be some way to remove/filter offensive or abusive comments against any group of people." posted by roxy

Sorry sweetheart, but by your own words, you DO NOT believe in freedom of speech. There can be no exceptions. It is a black and white issue. Read the book 1984 by George Orwell. He was a prophet.

Stacy Harris

Now that I have the information re: the vanity card I am rethinking my original position on this matter. I would hope that the ADL, which I suspect is in the same position, wants to be similarly cir***spect.

At this point it is hard to either defend or criticize Charlie Sheen because his motivation is as uncertain as is, assuming Sheen is (momentarily) clean, the degree his statements are tied to the lingering effects of his addiction.

What seems clear is that Lorre/Levine, in the absence of anything he might say to discount the impression his words convey (assuming he has been quoted correctly and in context) fits the profile of a self-hating Jew.

I seriously doubt that Levine/Lorre has quoted the rabbi correctly. For it is generally not rabbis but non-Jews who misconstrue the description of Jews as "the chosen people."

Jews were the first to embrace a covenant with a Supreme Being and thus the "chosen" people are those with the heaviest responsibility to live up to the assumed obligation. Think "responsibility," not "favoritism."

Stacy Harris
Publisher/Executive Editor/Media Critic
Stacy's Music Row Report

Nick

Charlie should have learned from all his years working in Hollywood that Jews think that calling them by their own ethnicity is an insult. He should have also learned that many Jews are anti-White.

Call a Jew a Jew, and you will get labeled "anti-Semitic".

Breathing air is considered anti-Semitic to Jews.

sunyekerry

yes, we should pay more attention to the man rather than his television roles.

www.forumswindows8.com or www.win8forum.net

Find Stylists

I can't believe his nerve!

Greta

Actually, it is borderline antisemitic. Why? That is the first time he has used anyone's Hebrew name publicly, with the emphasis on Chaim, plus he has made his hatred of Lorre well known.

@ #6, you are disgusting.

Greta

@#6-

There is no excuse for your disgusting comment. Yes, I'll admit that sometimes the ADL can go a tad overboard sometimes, but you do not understand that we have to call out antisemitism wherever it is. Even so, Sheen's comment, in my view, isn't worth the attention, but the ADL overall seems to bring out the bigotry (we are not a race as so many like to think) in so many people. You show your REAL self with that comment.

Shame on you.

The ADL does very good work, and they call out racism and bigotry NOT just for the Jews.

ali gator

I think Charlie sheen owes an apology and reparations to every member of the human race. He is an insult to all decent humans.

ali gator

Joey

The ADL is great organization.

They had every right to question Charlie Sheens motives in his statements.

Whether or not Chuck Lorre is an observant Jew has nothing to do with whether Sheen's statements were wrong.

The selective moral outrage is hilarious. People who hate Jews for no reason and make up a million stories to slander Jews, are ok with a crackhead Sheen bringing prostitutes around his kids and spreading the message on TV that his type of behavior is cool.