Katie Holmes Sues Star Magazine

3/1/2011 4:37 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Holmes just filed a $50 million libel lawsuit against the publishers of “Star” magazine after a recent cover insinuated she's a drug addict.

0301_star_magazine_cover_EX

The centerpiece of the lawsuit is the headline, “ADDICTION NIGHTMARE - Katie DRUG SHOCKER! – The Real Reason She Can’t Leave Tom”  -- while the actual article does NOT allege any drug use by Katie we’re told she feels the suggestive cover is deliberately defamatory and is libelous on its own.

The lawsuit states, "[Katie] has no intention of leaving her husband, and is not prevented from doing so by any drug addiction."

Holmes' attorney tells TMZ, "Star Magazine's malicious claims about Katie are untrue, unethical and unlawful.  Not only do they cruelly defame Katie, they play a cheap trick on the public, making ridiculously false claims on the cover unsupported by anything inside."

And, the attorney adds, "Someone should bring a class action to get all buyers their money back."

Holmes is seeking $50 million in damages from American Media Inc.

Wid

I totally support that decision...while they need to sell their magazines, it shouldn't be by insulting and disrespecting the woman..Tom Cruise or no Tom Cruise and whatever it is going on in the woman's life...she'd let them get away with plenty of things, but they have gone too far..I do read these things and I find them funny..but there should be a limit to what you can or cannot write about ppl or have as a title to sell...

SUN

If the Beckhams didnt win; she wont win. Everyone realizes the rag-magazines are just for fun. Now if this was on CNN, might be a different story.

Priss

Hope she wins!! It is sad to think there are idiots that would even buy these magazines, but I guess with their IQ's it's pretty good reading.

dimes

According to thewrap.com, Katie's attorney demanded a retraction from Star prior to filing the lawsuit, and the magazine declined. In its response, the mag's attorney claimed that the e-meter thingy scientologists use can promote feelings of euphoria.

Unfortunately for them, the headline specifically refers to drugs, not a doodad. If that's the best defense the Star can come up with, it might behoove them to settle out of court, issue the retraction and save themselves a boatload of dough.

Hisjules

test

TLC

Sue the rags for defamation !!!!!!! Also sue the bloggers.

Susan

#74 Do you mean she looks like she had a LOBOTOMY (part of her brain surgically removed)? Phlebotomy means she looks like she had her blood drawn.

geowhiz

Like most Hollyweird folks she's probably only hooked on "legal drugs".

Doug

Does anyone actually read this ****rag, let alone believe it?

Ginger

Oh I read it and love it. I totally know most of the stories are a joke but I laughingly call Star my continuing education. However, pictures don't lie and many times the same story in Star is in the more 'believable' mags like People. Anyone seeing pictures of Kate with bags and dark circles around her eyes, the frail frame most of the time and the abject misery on her face know something is wrong with her. Hey - it could be that electric thingamabob - right?

ucistu

She doesnt have anything else to do but sue folks! Hey broad, u crazy! Sue me too!

mom of 4

ummm...no, what she needs to do is run as fast as she can back to toledo to a NORMAL LIFE and get away from that weirdo and his cult! she has changed alright and its sure not for the better. suri will never have a normal life growing up in that household with that fruitcake for a father.

liz

katie must need some get away money, so she can leave that idiot she is married to. she must need the money, i don,t think her is as an actress, she can,t act and neither can her gay hubsand , neither one of them are worth anything . when someone sues a magazine it usually means that they are desprite for money or want publicity, i wonder which one it is with her.?

Stewart

Sueing them for what? Telling the truth. If she were a good actress she would have played the part of being Tom's wife by being upbeat and happy instead of slouching all over town with a look on her face that reads kill me now!

glasshouses

Katie, I like her "quiet look" personality. I think she makes a good mother and wife. I am for Katie as far as her motherhood and good wife goes. Having stated that; firstly, I believe the person you marry is a reflection of who you are. Secondly, to Katie, I gues it was real difficult to stay silent on this one, but I think to the public, it is better to remain the quiet girl you seem to be. The wish to sue the Tabloid is most of the time translated to being angry at them uncovering something...if it is not true just relax. I wish Katie luck in life all the same.