« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

Hospitalized for

Pulmonary Embolism

3/2/2011 11:12 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Serena Williams was rushed to an L.A. hospital yesterday to undergo emergency treatment for a pulmonary embolism ... this according to the 29-year-old tennis star's rep.

0301-serena-williams-bn-getty

Williams' rep released a statement explaining, "Monday Serena Williams underwent emergency treatment at Cedars for a hematoma she suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation."

The statement continues, "Last week, Serena suffered from a pulmonary embolism [a blood clot in the lungs] which was discovered upon her return to L.A.  She had been in New York for doctor appointments for the ongoing issues with her foot."

The rep added, "Doctors are continuing to monitor her situation closely to avoid additional complications."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

catzear

Had a PE after having a c-section. It is very painful. It can also feel like a heart attack before they discover what the problem is. My prayers are with her.

queen love

Fat people can go forever then this happens, a strapping young lad.

Bubbles The Chimp

Wow. Not good. Most people die from that early or in further months ahead.

Poor Serena. Stay strong!!!

Rhonda

Get Well soon u are in my prayers!

jack-55d79

That's serious and I hope she recovers. Horrible random stuff occurs occasionally regardless of someones' profession or how healthy they are. Was a point well made in the now infamous Chuck Lorrie vanity card.

Taylor Dadson

OMG. Well that should answer any remaining questions about whether she will return to the top of the Women's Tennis rankings.

Mary

I hope she gets better. A Pulmonary Embolism is nothing to play around with. I just lost my 24 year old son to this 7 1/2 weeks ago. It was very sudden and we did not even know anything was wrong with him. Very scary and sad. My prayers are with her.

HarlotO'Hara

and prayers are with you, mary. sorry to hear about your son!

PM61

Isn't it unusual for a relatively healthy young athlete to have this condition?

SOOTHE

I bet she got it as a complication from all the foot surgeries
she has had to have.

Debbie

Serena should tell her doctors to do genetic testing to see if she is pre-determined to develop blood clots. My husband had a pulmonary embolism awhile back and he found out that he carries a defective gene that causes this to happen. He inherited it from his mother & father. Hope this helps.

d-nutt

I don't want to speculate too much here - but I wondered what would cause such a healty relatively young person to experience a pulmonary embolism?

So I researched potential causes and this is one of the main ones:

1. Supplemental estrogen. The estrogen in birth control pills and in hormone replacement therapy can increase clotting factors in your blood, especially if you smoke or are overweight.

Hmmmm - I would suspect that a female who takes steroids would probably need some supplemental estrogen to even things out.

Not sayin . . .

Steve

Steroid abuse. Her **** is as big as a **** now. She is gross.

The Maharincess of Franistan

I know what she is going through - I've had TWO P.E.'s and the doctors tell me that I am lucky to have survived one.

What she will go through now is to be hospitalized for the next 4-5 days. They will put her on a Heparin drip to thin her blood. After it has been successfully thinned out, she will go on a two-week course of Lovenox shots followed by months on Coumadin.

Get well Serena.

J9

steroids are not good for you.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments