« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

Hospitalized for

Pulmonary Embolism

3/2/2011 11:12 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Serena Williams was rushed to an L.A. hospital yesterday to undergo emergency treatment for a pulmonary embolism ... this according to the 29-year-old tennis star's rep.

0301-serena-williams-bn-getty

Williams' rep released a statement explaining, "Monday Serena Williams underwent emergency treatment at Cedars for a hematoma she suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation."

The statement continues, "Last week, Serena suffered from a pulmonary embolism [a blood clot in the lungs] which was discovered upon her return to L.A.  She had been in New York for doctor appointments for the ongoing issues with her foot."

The rep added, "Doctors are continuing to monitor her situation closely to avoid additional complications."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

dd

Will pray for you Serena.

wavelength

Do gorillas get the same medical treatment as humans?

dd

Trey she is a woman she could have been on the pill, that also causes blood clots..Don't start the steroid rumors.

MelP

PE is scary stuff. I suffered one two years ago, seemingly out of nowhere (although in hindsight there were like 3-4 things that came in quick succession that could have caused it). Treatment could also be a very minimally invasive procedure where they actually insert a thin catheter and go up from the groin into the lungs and extract the clot bits, which is what they did with me. I have a filter too, and on coumadin indefinitely. Hopefully the after effects aren't that lingering for her.

Van Hammersley

Wow...my 3 year daughter died from a pulmonary embolism. That's scary stuff. Hope she pulls through.

Posted at 8:25 AM on Mar 2, 2011 by Van Hammersley
***************************

You don't sound very broken up about it. Scary stuff huh? You're a liar and I hope you haven't wished illness into your universe with that stupid comment.

Posted at 9:04 AM on Mar 2, 2011 by Celeb Gossip Addict

Wow, you're a real douche Celeb. Liar? Really???? Do you know what I've been through for the past 3 years? Obviously not. Do you know how long its taken to work through all the grief and everything else that comes along with losing someone, especially your own child/daughter? Of course not. Yeah, it "was" f'n "scary as hell", having my daughter die from the embolism right in front of my wife and mother (back in April 2008), in my house, and I couldn't save her CPR because it was too late. Don't read too much into a quick/simple to the point comment like my initial, cause you obviously don't know the story behind it. Please, stay classy Celeb.

mcl

Steroids is most likely cause. Many have wondered this for years, probably will be confirmed now.

RK

this is what you get when you threaten a line referee during a match. she had it coming. No one is missing her on the tour. And if we are unfortunate to see her coming back, Kim K. will beat her... hands down. Time for you and your s_utty-dressed sister to retire, and bring some class back to the sport.

Cathy from OR

My husband had one of these several years ago after a minor foot surgery, and almost died. When Phil Harris (Deadliest Catch) had one, he said doctors told him only 2 out of 10 survive one of these. How heart wrenching! Stay strong, Serena, and REST! All the best. Cathy from Oregon

La Trice

This is really serious!! I was hospitalized for this back in June 2009, I was 26 years old. It's no laughing matter. I was in the hospital for a week. They put you on a blood thinner, oxygen and give you medicine for pain. It was very difficult for me to even take a deep breath, because it was too painful. After I was realesed, I had to be on blood thinners for a year, go in and get blood tests to make sure that my blood in a certain range. Because if it was thick, it could cause another clot. All of this happened from taking YAZ birth control pill. I hope and pray that she gets well really soon!!!

mj

When will Tennis associations begin Steriod testing? It is Long over due.

mj

Was she also seeing the same doctor that Tiger used. You know the one caught at the Canadian border with Human Growth Hormone. Or as they are often referred to "Special Vitamin Shots"! hahahahaha

Joann

Wow...I read some time ago her foot was not healing properly and I'm wondering if whatever was wrong with her foot has caused infection to spread to her lungs. I hope that is not the case. Will definitely keep her in my prayers.

melliemel

I forgot why I stayed away from this sight. ALL OF THE HATEFUL PEOPLE HERE. NOTHING TO SAY BUT NEGATIVE THINGS. I REALLY HATE ALL OF THE UGLY HATEFUL PEOPLE HERE. YOU MUST NOT HAVE LIVES, OR YOU DIDNT HAVE GOOD LIVES. GET WELL SERENA. GET SOME REST AND FOLLOW THE DRS. ORDERS

konaehukai

A guy from the Colorado Avalanche had these earlier in the season. It's questionable tht he may not return even next season.

Don't plan on seeing Serena around a tennis court for a good long while. Not like she's been playing much in the past few years anyway.

Plus now she's ineligible for the Olympics. She has to play Fed cup this year to be eligible.

DIAZ

CAN THIS BE CAUSED BY STEROIDS, EVERYONE SEE HOW BIG SHE'S GOT, DO YOU DOUBT IT ?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments