« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

Hospitalized for

Pulmonary Embolism

3/2/2011 11:12 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Serena Williams was rushed to an L.A. hospital yesterday to undergo emergency treatment for a pulmonary embolism ... this according to the 29-year-old tennis star's rep.

0301-serena-williams-bn-getty

Williams' rep released a statement explaining, "Monday Serena Williams underwent emergency treatment at Cedars for a hematoma she suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation."

The statement continues, "Last week, Serena suffered from a pulmonary embolism [a blood clot in the lungs] which was discovered upon her return to L.A.  She had been in New York for doctor appointments for the ongoing issues with her foot."

The rep added, "Doctors are continuing to monitor her situation closely to avoid additional complications."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

jj

Um...to the skeptics or the heartless making awful comments about Ms. Williams, a pulmonary embolism is extremely dangerous and potentially fatal. I was almost killed by one last summer (I'm 30), and I'm STILL on anticoagulants, 9 months later. It's something that will effect her for the rest of her life, or for the forseeable future. The medication you have to take limits your diet, no more caffeine, alcohol, green leafy vegetables, other things. She'll be out of commission for some time. I couldn't walk without discomfort for 3 months after mine, and I still have problems with the leg where my clot originated. One step at a time, Serena. Best wishes to you.

Hisjules

test

cynthia

Ihope you get well soon, serena my prayer are with you and your family in your time of difficulty, always been a tennis fan of yours since 1995 Hope you get well and be back soon miss your fighting spirit on the court love concern fan.

footdronline

Serena Williams Undergoes Treatment for a Pulmonary Embolism. Read more at http://footdronline.com/blog.html

Celeb Gossip Addict

Wow...my 3 year daughter died from a pulmonary embolism. That's scary stuff. Hope she pulls through.

Posted at 8:25 AM on Mar 2, 2011 by Van Hammersley
***************************

You don't sound very broken up about it. Scary stuff huh? You're a liar and I hope you haven't wished illness into your universe with that stupid comment.

Posted at 9:04 AM on Mar 2, 2011 by Celeb Gossip Addict

Wow, you're a real douche Celeb. Liar? Really???? Do you know what I've been through for the past 3 years? Obviously not. Do you know how long its taken to work through all the grief and everything else that comes along with losing someone, especially your own child/daughter? Of course not. Yeah, it "was" f'n "scary as hell", having my daughter die from the embolism right in front of my wife and mother (back in April 2008), in my house, and I couldn't save her CPR because it was too late. Don't read too much into a quick/simple to the point comment like my initial, cause you obviously don't know the story behind it. Please, stay classy Celeb.

Posted at 10:00 AM on Mar 2, 2011 by Van Hammersley

I gotta tell you, that scary stuff thing rubbed me the wrong way. When my coworker died from a pulmonary embolism I was very shocked and traumatized by it. Even though I wasn't there just hearing that his wife watched him drop to the ground in the garden hurt me to my soul. Your comment seemed very flip for a person who lost a child. Knowing you're a man helps me understand a little bit, but honestly I'm still having a hard time believing you and if its true I don't konw how you could say something as callous as scary stuff about something that killed your child.

robert h

checked out the comments to see how many racist replies there would be. You dooshrags didn't disappoint.

ezekieltriplett

I wanna wish her a very speedy recovery....
Skinny Fiber

Traci Tubbs

I have said a pray for Serena, because this is serious illness. I had the same thing last years in August 2010. The blood clot was my lungs also. The recovery process is long but she can do it. May God be with her.

Tres

"Do gorillas get the same medical treatment as humans?
"

YOU COULD ALWAYS ASK YOU MAMA WITH YOU MONKEY ASS!!!

Tres

"this is what you get when you threaten a line referee during a match. she had it coming. No one is missing her on the tour."

PLENY OF PEOPLE ARE MISSING HER. TOURNAMENTS ARE A SNORE WITHOUT HER AS ARE THE RATINGS. EVEN YOU MISS HER,OTEHRWISE WHY WOULD YOU COMMENT?

Tres

"When will Tennis associations begin Steriod testing? It is Long over due. "

THEY ALREADY TEST FOR STEROIDS. KEEP UP MUCH?

Tres

"Don't plan on seeing Serena around a tennis court for a good long while. Not like she's been playing much in the past few years anyway. "

SERENA DOESN'T NEED TO PLAY AS MUCH AS OTHERS DO ON TOUR. SHE PLAYED SIX TOURNAMENTS LAST YEAR AND WON TWO GRAND SLAMS.

Dave

One thing most people seem to ignore, many steroid users suffer from embolisms and hematomas after longtime use.

shandonthoms

my prayers go out to u hope to see u back on the court soon

Hand Banana

LOL @ Serena's Steroid and HGH growth hormone abuse.

As far as HGH growth hormones go; the window for detecting HGH use is narrow, though getting bigger. The newest HGH tests, which are blood-based, are said to catch cheats within two weeks of usage.

After using performance enhancement drugs for god knows how long.....she gets a PE complication all of a sudden and she is rushed to the hospital and put on HEPRAN, a DIURETIC to break down the SUPPOSSED BLOOD CLOTS. (then all of a sudden she is magically all better a day later and strutting down the Red Carpet for pictures.)

HEPRAN is a DIURETIC, which is also known for masking the use of Steroids and HGH Growth Hormones. This gives her Carte Blanche to continue using Steroids and HGH growth hormones and if WTA DRUG tested it will show NOTHING.

This is the WTA DRUG TESTING FOR 2011 : (section 5)

S5. DIURETICS AND OTHER MASKING AGENTS
Masking agents are prohibited. They include:
Diuretics, desmopressin, plasma expanders (e.g. glycerol; intravenous administration of albumin, dextran, hydroxyethyl starch and mannitol), probenecid; and other substances with similar biological effect(s).

The use In- and Out-of-Competition, as applicable, of any quantity of a substance subject to threshold limits (i.e. salbutamol, morphine, cathine, ephedrine, methylephedrine and pseudoephedrine) in conjunction with a diuretic or other masking agent requires the deliverance of a specific Therapeutic Use Exemption for that substance in addition to the one granted for the diuretic or other masking agent.

IN CLOSING,

It seems that all Serena needs is a little signed piece of paper from her doctor, a T.U.E. (Therapeutic Use Exemption paper) and she can test POSITIVE ALL DAY LONG FOR DIURETICS LIKE HEPRAN (which she injects herself by the way) and could continue Steroid and HGH drug abuse and the WTA would have NO CLUE.

You people are blind....she been a doper for years and been getting away with it, just as Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, and Jose Canseco did for YEARS.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5