Huckabee

Rips Natalie Portman

Over Pregnancy

3/4/2011 12:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Fox News host Mike Huckabee claims Oscar winner Natalie Portman is a bad role model for America -- all because she got knocked up before marriage.

0304-huckabee-portman-bn-getty-01
Huckabee went on a radio show Monday and said, "One of the most troubling things is that people see a Natalie Portman or some other Hollywood starlet that boasts of, hey look, we're having children, we're not married, but we're having children and they're doing just fine."

Portman is engaged to her baby daddy -- co-star Benjamin Millepied.

Huckabee -- a Republican who could make a run for the White House -- added, "There aren't really a lot of single moms out there that are making millions of dollars each year by being in a movie"

"I think it gives a distorted image that not everybody hires nannies and caretakers and nurses. Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and would not get healthcare."

So far, Portman has yet to respond.

jlr

@46, Huckabee is NOT Mormon. Where do you get your facts?

Jen O.

Ok, I'm all for a little more morals to be present in society but he's supposed to be a Christian. Where does he get off judging people?! That's one of the main things we're NOT supposed to do. And he pissed me right off when he claimed that most unmarried, single mothers, were uneducated! How dare he?!!!! I'm not in that category in anyway, but my mother was a single mom and she could do secretarial work better than any fresh-out-of-college infant, but, thanks to unfair work laws/rules, she didn't have that piece of paper saying she was a trainable monkey, therefore, couldn't get a job. Now, look at the economy! It's not just single mothers that can't get a job. Such ignorance! Also, it's called common sense. I'm well aware that it's sorely lacking in society now days, but, it's up to individual women to apply some. If you can't afford to have kids, don't have them! Period.

Josephina

57 - Yes, I'm sure there are other single mothers in the US. Of course there are. But do they purposefully become single mothers because Natalie Portman did it? I don't think so. I just think it's ridiculous to assume that people do things because celebrities do them. Plus, I don't see why MARRIAGE itself is so important. What's important is that the child has at least one parent who can support and care for him/her. Getting married really has nothing to do with it. Bash the teen mothers who clearly can't care for a child by themselves, fine; but bashing ALL unmarried parents? It doesn't make sense.

jlr

I don't think that most people commenting negatively have fully read this piece. Just jumping on the liberal bandwagon before giving it any thought.

Travis

I love how stupid some of you are. Many are comparing his comments to the left's favorite target, children of high profile Republicans, namely Bristol Palin.

His point, which obviously flew over many of your heads was that most single mothers do not have the means to take care of a child because....as he clearly stated, most are not millionaires.

Typical liberal bias though, preach love and tolerance but then never practice what you preach.

djbf

Mere rhetoric. My parents live in a dry county full of people who invoke The Lord in every sentence. The amount of teenage pregnancies and meth labs in their county is staggering. The Bible Belt is a sham.

STFUP

Where was his outrage when it was BRISTOL PALIN!? That skank has been 'glamourizing' unweed TEEN motherhood since we've know her.

Lori

And for people who are saying that the problem is that Natalie Portman makes it look "glamorous:" EVERYONE knows that Hollywood stars have different lives than people who work normal or "middle class" jobs. They know that they are extremely wealthy and people do NOT go out and try to get pregnant when they're not married because someone in Hollywood makes it look glamorous. Celebrities also make having extramaritial affairs look glamorous, but that doesn't mean that people try to copy them.

Posted at 8:36 AM on Mar 4, 2011 by Josephina
=========================

young idiotic girls with no education DO look at Hollywood and romanticize their behavior...

Habe you ever seen those toads "TEEN MOM" that reality P.O.S. show? Those teenagers are making BANK getting knocked up as teens and then letting a reality show film it.

My God people, these kind of shows will be the demise of a once great country...as a matter of fact you can throw in ALL of the "Reality" shows for that matter.

stella

@59, Janet, what responsibility do people have when they knowingly turn a blind eye to her breaking the law? Should they just tsk tsk and post here, or should they be pro-active and do something about it? Just asking...

Gnommie.com

from the article: "First of all, Portman isn't really a "single mother" since she's in a committed relationship with her baby's father. Bristol Palin, however, is a single mother, but of course she shouldn't be shamed because she's a hero for "choosing life."

Also, Ms. Portman has a jewish (i.e., to Huckabee's audiance, non-white) background, but Ms. Palin is white (and therefore saved). Of course, I'm just kidding. A good christian like Mike would never think along these lines....

From
Gnommie

fahgettaboutit

What about Bristol Palin? He doesn't attack single republican TEEN mothers???

gitRdun

Huckabee has really gone off the deep in recently. First he got caught outright lying about Obama's life now he picks a fight with Portman over something that has no relevance to our current political issues. Some of Sarah Palin's crazy must have rubbed off on him.

Josephina

Lori, I agree that Teen Mom DOES glamorize teen pregnancy and I really despise that show. I just don't think that unwed parents should be the target of his criticism, but rather people who get pregnant (for example, often, teenage mothers) and can't support a child.

Lori

hey huck - my wife became prego when we were engaged and we are married now with 2 kids - we are very happy! stuff happens you verbal diarrhea spewing dirtbag - politicians should really just shut up -

Posted at 8:42 AM on Mar 4, 2011 by FROMFARAWAY
================================================

Well if he's "SO WRONG" in his comments? WHY DID YOU AND YOUR BABY MOMMA GET MARRIED? If he's wrong, then there should have been nothing wrong with the two of you living together and raising your children...BUT YOU DIDN'T...you knew it was best to be married and raise your kids in a stable environment and if Portman ends up getting married, that will would be the best for HER child.

Sheesh, THINK before you type.

Jenny

I have been with my boyfriend for 8 years, lived together for 4 years and I can guarantee you we have a stronger commitment than most married people our age. If we were to have a child we would provide a loving, stable environment. With OR without marriage!
I don't get why people make such a big deal out of it, especially since anyone can get divorced as quickly as they were married. We most likely will tie the knot one day but it's a very outdated concept if you ask me.