'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

Amy61

So sad...he was one of my favs. I always held out hope for him. He never really had a chance since his father would do all the drugs with him. Plus add that to a famous rock star. He had a huge heart and died too soon. I just hope Steven Adler doesnt end up like this. He is going back on Celeb Rehab next season and Im keeping my fingers crossed for him too. I would be though, Charlie will be next. B/C he's not willing to admit he needs help and thinks he is above it all.

LLM

I totally predicted this way back when Mike was on Celebrity Rehab ... I questioned WHY someone who was CLEARLY very very sick was on that show instead of in a true hardcore rehab facility. So sad.

RobinPickles

May the example of your life, be a message to others who suffer with addiction, and help them to see.....

Rest in Peace

John

Take a good look Stephen Adler.......this is YOUR FUTURE

STM

This has nothing to do with the "sham" rehab he was at. Addiction like that is tough stuff, in "real" rehab, or televised. He did crack with his father, for f***'s sake. Do you know what it would it would take for a guy like that to remain around clean and sober people exclusively? EVERYTHING. And by this point, that guy didn't the energy to fight such a thing. Who would? It's a shame that we couldn't have dropped him in the brush with some ibogaine.
May he rest in peace.

Jaded

I hear what everyone is saying about Celebrity Rehab being a joke and it is a bit exploitative, but..being a former addict myself and never going to meetings or counseling, watching the show has really helped me stay clean and understand why I am an addict. If you want to get clean, you will, PERIOD . RIP Mike :(

Theresa

I agree with Derek. This guy was not a gentle soul. He was disgusting.

Charlotte

Derek - why would I be mad that your gf f#cked Mike Starr?

T

I had to stop reading the comments so excuse me if my sentiment has already been expressed by others. However the level of humanity in this thread is appalling. What is wrong with you people? Someone expressing happiness at the fact that someone suc***bed to an insidious disease. Others blaming Dr. Drew for the failure of a few patients. This just shows how absolutely ignorant you are. First, anyone who has battled any form of addiction knows how terribly hard it is to recover. There is a proven fact with addiction, you are either going to die with the addiction or from the addiction. You are never cured of the addiction, you can only arrest the symptoms of the disease. Second, if you had done any research at all you would know that the success rate of treating addiction, no matter who the doctor is, is in the single digit percentages. Those of you using this thread to express those negative comments are the ones who are poor excuses of human beings, not those dying from a baffling and insidious disease.

With that said, I am truly heart broken to see another person suc***b to this disease. Despite his ultimate demise at the hands of addiction, Mike Starr fought hard. I hope he can finally find peace and rid himself of the weight that has been on his shoulders for so long. RIP Mike and my thoughts are with your family and friends in this truly devastating time.

dd

I KNEW IT!!!! Guilt KILLS, God Bless You!! God Please Your Parents!!

CA

tragic yes... shocking no... RIP

Sue

Too sad to comment

He was such a sweetheart, but a loss sole

god love him

Virtual Insanity

Very sad. My condolences to his family.

Tommy

Really Mike's Dad? You never noticed your son was on a path of self destruction. Wow. ****ing ignorant

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

Christy

He was a bit of a jerk on CR but he was also a hardcore addict who was very sick. He had a long history and may he be at some peace now. Have some compassion because he was really a tortured soul.