'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

MP

That's very sad. I'm sure I'll sound naive, but I wish people wouldn't try drugs to begin with and they would really think about the road they're about to go down.

HarlotO'Hara

Derek - why would I be mad that your gf f#cked Mike Starr?

Posted at 4:40 PM on Mar 8, 2011 by Charlotte

lol...derek has gotten you all spun up.

su

I am saddened by his passing. He seemed like such a lovable guy.
May he rest in peace.

Craig

I'm with you #181. I'm not going to read any more comments. I also saw him on Celebrity Rehab and thought his story was heartbreaking. He's been in a lot of pain for a really long time. He's been unable to forgive himself. I hope he's able to find some peace.

Howie

He was facing a felony charge for having 12 pills on him without a prescription for them. 12 pills made up of 6 pain-killer pills and 6 anti-anxiety pills.

That is how crazy the American legal system is. They would throw a guy in jail for not having a prescription for all of 12 pills even if those pills are to reduce a person's pain or anxiety. Heck, they'd throw you in jail for being in possession of 1 pill without a prescription.

It is a cruel and insane system that took a guy who is addicted to prescription drugs and charged him with a felony for it, to add on to the pressures he was already facing. What a farce. Instead of helping addicts who are only hurting themselves, the legal system hurts them some more. How kind. How useful. How did charging Mike Starr with a felony help him or society? I'm sure the cop who arrested him and the prosecutor who charged him are happy now. RIP, Mike.

thebyrdsfriend

#181 T Wonderful insight, thanks for writing, my sentiments exactly. So sad at Mike's passing, he looked for help, and tried. He may look to other people as being a jerk on CR, but come on, my opinion of a jerk has changed completely since Charlie Sheen has opened himself up to the public to view how he REALLY is. I never thought Mike was bad, his addiction was bad, and we could see that. But, he NEVER was the poor excuse of a man like Charlie Sheen has been showing us. Mike's ego never was even close to what Charlie's is. Gentle soul? I would say Mike has one, Charlie, not so much.

Charlotte

Derek - why would I be mad that your gf f#cked Mike Starr?

Posted at 4:40 PM on Mar 8, 2011 by Charlotte

lol...derek has gotten you all spun up.

Posted at 4:45 PM on Mar 8, 2011 by HarlotO'Hara

Oh yeah...I'm crying as I type dumbazz! I just happen to think it's pretty tacky to be posting garbage about someone that just died. Regardless of his issues he was a human being and has family and loved ones. How 'bout showing some decency and respect?

Kathie McAllister

Mikes dad, John,is a dear friend to my husband and me and that's the one I really feel for. I just talked to him and he isn't doing too good. So I'd like to ask all of you to take a minute out of your day today and say a little prayer for him. He could really use it. Mike, we gonna miss ya buddy.

NO J

Live like a pig; die like a pig.

Joao

okay, Dr. Drew, the rehab guru... another one of your success stories... can't wait to hear his template spin on this one.

Christine

Such a shame!! He was talented, its too bad his addiction got the best of him! RIP Mike!

vixis

Celebrities die in 3's, waiting for the news to come out that Charlie Sheen made the list. He keeps going the way he is, it will happen.

HarlotO'Hara

Posted at 4:51 PM on Mar 8, 2011 by Charlotte

bless your heart, you really need to give your blood pressure a rest. you sound like you have some anger issues that need addressing by a professional.

Joann

I remember seeing him on Celebrity Rehab a few season back. Wow...so sad.

HarlotO'Hara

Kathie McAllister: Why did he get high with his son?