'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

Tammy

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I hope he found peace finally.

Majestik

I hope Salahi is proud of herself. I'll bet they could've found a spot for Mike again if she hadn't pulled her stunt.

R.I.P. Mike, you fell down, gave it try to get back up. At least you tried. My heart is out to his family.

Ronda

so sad that is way too young to die

mija

There's one people already saw coming. Did he die of an overdose?

..EW..

Overcome an addiction regardless of what it is, it's about "mind over matter".
When he went to Celebrity Rehab, he wasn't ready to quite drugs... Poor guy.
Condolences to his family.

Phreaky

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Omg, this is horrible :( So sad.
RIP Mike

C

NOOOOO!! I was so rooting for Mike to make a successful turn to sobriety. He was my favorite on Celebrity rehab. I am very upset about this horrible news. I truly thought he was doing better and working on getting clean. My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. Such a sad day...

lolo

This is so sad but we all saw it coming. This guy was a tortured soul. He never made peace with Layne's death. RIP Mike.

janet

Not to worry. Dr. Drew Pinsky (addiction specialist) is still making his money.

Pinsky sold his ethics as a Dr. for a TV show.

Bippy

CHARLIE SHEEN IS WINNING - THIS GUY IS SCREAMING --------->>>>>>

stephanie

I wish Kari Ann Peniche died instead.

kk md

I watched the show and feel so bad for him for all of the guilt and the terrible way his father did drugs with him.
Thought he was going to make it.
RIP

Violette-Blue

Sad. RIP.

Marie

Is Charlie Sheen next?

CateL

RIP. Addiction is insidious.