'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

kk md

now they crazy death watch for the next 2......

Robinowitz

So sad, but unfortunately predictable after watching his stint on Celebrity Rehab. Very bullheaded guy...kinda like Charlie is now. Charlie's so out of it now that he won't in get the message in this tragedy.

John

Addiction can only lead to; jail, institutions and death...Mike Starr experienced all three....RIP Mike

Julie

I can't believe anyone is putting down Dr. Drew. He genuinely TRIED to help him, as did Mike's other rehab stints. Mike is the one responsible for this, and Mike alone. He was a big boy and made his own bad decisions against many people who fought for him. May he R.I.P., but don't shift the blame anywhere else. He chose this life. Dr. Drew is not God.

Nanci

This is truly heart breaking, I loved AIC with Mike and hoped he was going to make it out of his addiction. My heart goes out to his family.

yup

Sad. Just proves Dr. Drew is out to exploit these celebrities for his personal gain, much the same way as Dr. Phil. Real therapy doesn't happen with cameras around.

nisiek

that is sad...I remember seeing him in the video that aired the first day of the Celeb Rehab and he was getting high with his father...I thought that was terribly sad and that this guy really did not stand a chance with a father like that. Sorry to judge, but what parent in there right or wrong mind gets high with their kid??? He seemed so angry and so sad the whole time on Celeb Rehab...and so close to relapsing constantly...while I am not horrible shocked, I am sad that another addict had to pay the ultimate price. Maybe that bonehead Sheen will get the message...but I doubt it...and btw, THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH CARLOS IS SOBER.

sheesh

This one gave me chills. I feel so bad for him. I think he wanted to change but just couldn't find the strength. RIP Mike.

BSweet

Bye, Dude.

Cheryl A.

I think he was the second death in 2 days. DeStefano the comedian died yeasterday and that leaves one more.

Lori

I'm thinking maybe "DR" Drew should rethink the whole "Celeb" Rehab thing...doesn't sound like anyone gets better (as is the case in the real world too) AND that it's doing more harm than good.

HANG IT UP DREW...the money isn't worth it.

nieo

Less than a month away from Layne's deathiversary. We all still have your music to enjoy...

go home!

TMZ WHY DONT YOU SAY HOW HE DIED??!

HarlotO'Hara

nisiek: he was getting high with his father??

the same father who is quoted as saying...Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

leslie

MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH MIKE'S FAMILY. SADLY SOME PEOPLE ARE UNABLE TO RECEIVE THE MIRACLE THAT IS SOBRIETY SO SAD.