'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

Julie

This is so tragic. When an addict is so determined to not quit we that love them suffer and cry and watch them die. Please people get help!

Murdoc

Can we trade Charlie to get him back?

Tiger

It's really sad. First that he lived with so much guilt over Layne's overdose & second that as hard as he tried, he ended up the same way. He was really gorgeous back ih the Alice In Chains days too.. what a waste :( RIP Mike

leah fuller

why blame Dr. Drew, thiswas a grown man, who made his orn choice in life, no one to blame but himself, still very very sad..

molly1975

I think moe said it best!!

"He died of a broken spirit. You are free at last."

That is about the best comment to this tragedy that I have seen yet!

thegirl

Somebody check my brain.... So sad...R.I.P.

ernie

Dr. Drew should have known better. Instead he treats people on television. Television!! Hello. What doctor (tongue in cheek) would treat their patients on television? Especially a hardcore junkie like Mike?

Any fool knows you do not treat a junkie on television ... especially for 21 days. Twenty one days of treatment!!! Now that is the great Dr. Drew's offer to treat Mike Starr.

I hope you are proud of him all you "it is not Dr. Drew's fault." If the guy knew how to treat junkies he might have been successful with Mike.

Jail Dr. Drew

krystyn

no! he was so amazing! RIP<3

My New Name

Oh, I am brokenhearted.

I knew it was against the odds that Mike was going to make it. He was not only an addict, he was racked with guilt and I think I always knew more than the addiction, it would be the guilt that would overcome him and the drugs would just be the method.

From watching Mike on Celebrity Rehab, he touched my heart and I really felt compassion for him. He broke my heart on some episodes for being so sweet and vulnerable, and infuriated me on others for being such an ass. He was a complicated man.

As for those of you who are blaming Dr. Drew and Celebrity Rehab for Mike's demise, don't be an idiot. Of course there are going to be more people who come through that program who fail than succeed – it is a drug rehab program, they ALL have more failures than successes.

He's dealing with drug addicts and alcoholics there - you DO realize that, right? Yet, you fault HIM when those who complete his program relapse? Have you ever known of a rehab program where everyone went through once and kicked the habit?

Again, don't be an idiot. Just like any other substance-abuse program, there are some successes and some who don't make it. It's the tragedy of addiction and is NOT the fault of the rehab facility when an addict relapses. If you think so, you clearly don't have a CLUE about addiction or anything you are talking about.

Rest in peace, Mike. There was probably not going to be peace on Earth for you; it always seemed just out of your reach. God be with those who loved you, and again, Mike, rest in peace, dear friend.
No matter what you felt here, you were loved.

tori

Dude, I loved your band, your music...I was so praying for you to stay strong. You will be missed...give lots of love to Layne.

My New Name

I'm sorry, I am going over some of the comments and I just couldn't let this one go by:
________________________________________________________________
"38. Sad. Just proves Dr. Drew is out to exploit these celebrities for his personal gain, much the same way as Dr. Phil. Real therapy doesn't happen with cameras around.

Posted at 3:17 PM on Mar 8, 2011 by yup"
________________________________________________________________

How, yup? How does this POSSIBLY prove Dr. Drew is "out to exploit these celebrities for his personal gain..."?

Make that connection for me, please. How does Mike Starr's overdose prove your accusation, because I don't see the proof at all.

But, you've made the accusation, you say this "proves" it - so back up your accusation. How? How does this "prove" it?

Facts, please.

My New Name

And I want to respond to this:
________________________________________________________
"304. As soon as I heard about this, the only thing I could think of was Dr.Drew.

Hey Drew - if you knew anything about opiate addiction, you would have let Mike get on Suboxone during Celebrity Rehab, like he asked to.

I've been clean and stable on Suboxone for 3 years...

RIP Mike. I am incredibly furious to hear about this and I truly believe you would be alive right now had Dr.Drew put you on Suboxone.

Posted at 6:08 PM on Mar 8, 2011 by MisterMaserati"
_______________________________________________________________

First of all, there are numerous posts before you, MisterMas, complaining that Mike is dead now because Dr. Drew DID put Mike on Suboxone.

Second, if you are on Suboxone, you are NOT "clean," you are still addicted to a narcotic; just one that is not as dangerous as whatever you were addicted to. "Clean" means you are clean; you don't take drugs - at all.

Third and last, it is ridiculous to surmise that Mike would be alive if Dr. Drew had put him on Suboxone. How can you POSSIBLY know that? Mike was a seriously, incredibly addicted man who was overwhelmed by guilt, self-loathing and who could not function in social settings. There was NOTHING about his life that was conducive to surviving his addiction. In the BEST of cir***stances, with a strong support system, a job, intense counseling and positive surroundings it's a crap shoot and the odds are against you of staying clean of an addiction as profound as Mike's.

Mike had NONE of those things in place.

Dr. Drew runs a rehab, no better and no worse than any other rehab in the country – most patients relapse. That's what addiction does. You, more than anyone, should know that.

However, perhaps the drugs you are still on have clouded your judgment. I wish you the best in beating your addiction and living a truly clean life, free of all narcotic substances.

My New Name

Ok. I'm commenting on this one and I'm stopping at 335. I can't stomach any more ignorance.

"335...MEMO TO DR. DREW: WE ARE NOT INSPIRED BY THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE SUFFERING SO THAT THEY CAN GET A PAYCHECK FROM YOU AND 15 MINUTES OF FAME...WE ARE FILLED WITH SYMPATHY AND SOMETIMES SCORN...LIKE WHEN YOU PUT MICHAELE SALAHI AND HER HUSBAND ON THE SHOW.

Posted at 6:40 PM on Mar 8, 2011 by AJLind"
____________________________________________________________

This one really lit my fire.

To Mr. or Ms. AJLind: I'd like to introduce myself. My name is My New Name. I'd like to make you aware of my existence.

I do so because you have apparently taken it upon yourself to speak for all people everywhere, and while I can't speak for other people – perhaps everyone else in the world actually GAVE you permission to speak for them – I did NOT, and I insist that you desist speaking for me IMMEDIATELY.

When you make a public post addressing someone and telling them how "we" feel and think about something, since I exist that means I am included in your "we," and you have NO IDEA what I think or feel and I have NOT given you permission to speak for me.

So, when you give your opinion, that is your right. However, it is NOT your right to give MY opinion. Restrict your opinions to yourself and speak for yourself. How arrogant of you to think you know what "WE" think. You MIGHT know what YOU think, but you darn sure don't have a clue what I think. Based upon your comments, you and I don't contemplate things in the same sphere.

So, when you post your opinion, you need to use words like "me" and "I" and not "we." Speak for yourself, genius; you don't speak for me.

My New Name

Ok, I have a question and then I'm done here.

For all of you who are blaming Dr. Drew and his rehab program for Mike Starr's death, I'd like to hear your basis for that blame. You all have blanket charges like, "Dr. Drew should be (fill in something awful)..." or "This just proves Dr. Drew..."

So, very many of you think Dr. Drew bears some responsibility here. Give me some specifics here, please. You all apparently feel so strongly and think that you have such clear cases for your opinions, back those thoughts up, please with specifics.

Exactly WHAT is it about Dr. Drew and his rehab program that makes him and it responsible for Mike's death or a dangerous program in general. Or, if that wasn't your specific gripe, then please – take your specific gripe and support your general accusations with facts and specific charges to back up your complaint.

itsjustme

LISTEN, IM A RECOVERING ADDICT (5YRS) I COULDNT GET 5MIN CLEAN @ONE TIME ,AND I KNOW HOW FREAKIN DIFFICULT IT IS TO GET CLEAN..........AND THEN STAY THERE! LOL YOU WANT IT SOOOO BAD BUT JUST CANT SEEM TO GRAB IT AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOU WANNA DIE AFTER A WHILE ,BUT I ASSURE YOU HE DIDNT WANT TO DIE .HE SIMPLY JUST WANTED THE PAIN TO STOP AND COULDNT SEE HOW TO GET THERE.AS FOR PEOPLE DYING IN THREES?.YEAH,...THATS INAPPROPRIOT.NOT TO MENTION NEG. ITS SAD ON HOW MANY PPL DIE FROM THIS HORRIBLE DISEISE AND THE POOR FAMILY AND LOVED ONES LEFT TO BEAR THE PAIN AND LOSS.ITS DEVASTATINGLY SELFISH AND SELF-CENTERED DISIESE. I PRAY ALL ADDICTS AND THEIR FAMILIES CAN FIND PEACE ,AND TO HANG ON TO THEIR ADDICTED LOVED ONE NEVER GIVING UP. YOU HAVE ONE THING OTHER FAMILIES DONT HAVE ANYMORE...A CHANCE TO SAVE A LOVED ONE FROM CERTAIN DEATH .GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS RIP MR.STARR THERES NO MORE PAIN HUNNY.

Previous 15 Comments | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments