'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

pamelabock

Any updates on this story..? What was the reason behind his death..?
Lifecell Skin Cream

john

this is so sad, this guy really seemed like he had turned a corner fur the better.

Stephanie

I bet you anything that Travis Meeks has A LOT to do with contributing to his death. Watch this unfold. SO SAD, makes me sick.

Megan

Watching mike in celebrity rehab gave me a sence of hope, if another can get off methadone which is very painful, i will be able to get off the methadone program also. I cried when i read about mike passing, rest in peace mike.

AlyssaHwkns

This is really sad. I didnt wanna be like his dearest friend (R.I.P. Layne) But hey who know maybe it wasnt a overdose. I think it is though

Deb

My heartfelt condolences go out to Mike's family.
I watched all of the episodes of Celbrity Rehab and I was really hoping that Mike would make it, as he seemed like a really nice guy who deserved to feel good.
Rest in Peace, Mike....

Angel♥

Mike Starr and Layne Staley are rockin out in heaven now (with all the other great musicians who died to soon), they both died because they lost their soul to a terrible addiction, which im struggling with myself. Rest in Peace.

Tammy Locke

So sad to hear of his passing . I had such high hopes for him!! He was looking so good!! This just breaks my heart!! My deepest sympathy to his family!!

Mary Pat

So sad!!! I saw him on Celebrity Rehab & hoped he would make it.He seemed so nice & genuine,but he just had to many demons & he couldn't get over the guilt he felt for Lanes death. RIP Mike,you're with Lane & at peace now!!!

yma

Mike Starr,,,another unnecessary loss in the world. Sad to lose another human due to addiction and its control. Another light has been dimmed. RIP.

Ren

Charlie Sheen is gonna be dead if he doesn't stop his silly antics

C-Town

Mike Starr,

It was fun while it lasted. I'm sure you have no complaints. The life you lived you were able to ride the success roller coaster and rock out to all the thousands of screaming fans while kicking in the doors of perception. And the place you at now has all the good times minus all that pain.

Thank you for the awesome tunes and we'll see you when our ticket's pulled.

Charlie

dude had a family, respectfully refrain from stupid comments. opinions should be kept to ones self unless you knew the poor guy.

Layla

I hope you find the peace in heaven that you could not find on earth Mike

WHOCARESWHATMYNAMEIS

Its so sad that people make a living dragging someone through the mudd when theyre already dead. Why the **** does TMZ have to put up the voicemail of of Mike trying to buy weed after hes already dead. Harvey is a ****ing ****. Papparazi should follow his ass around see how he likes it. He is a public figure after all.

Previous 15 Comments | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments