'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

Jeanie

Sadly, I predicted this coming for Mike...He seemed too far gone when he was on Celebrity Rehab. He was a tortured soul..

Perhaps now, he can Rest in Peace~

niki lalonde

WE ARE SENDING OUR CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY OF MIKE ,I ALWAYS WATCH DR DREW EVERY SUNDAY ,I WAS ROUTING FOR MIKE TO GET BETTER, CAUSE I SEEN HE WAS HAVING A TOUGH TIME WITH DEALING WITH A SITUATION U HEAR WAY TO OFTEN NOW A DAYS ,I'M SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS ,MIKE WILL ALWAYS BE REMEBERED EVERYTIME WE LOOK UP WE KNOW HE'S WATCHING OVER ALL OF US...RIP MIKE XO

jojo

nooooo, just saw him on the last season of C.R. as a guest visitor who was suppossed to be straight???WTF Mike???
RIP..jam with other rockers who followed the same path, condolence to the family xo xo

S. Pickett

Life is not easy people make choices that seem to be right for them. When someone becomes suicidal, they are not the person you know, but rather a shell of themselves. You don't see anyone else, your mission is to die, and nothing anyone says will change that. I know I have attempted many times. If you have never been to the end you don't understand, the power that over comes your thought process. This is not Dr. Drews fault. He did what he could and new Mike wasn't well. God gives us free will and what we choose to do with it is up to us. I believe Mike had Bi-Polar, and self medicated, I do, even though I have a great therapist, there are times you just need that next drink, or drug to get you through the tough parts.
RIP Mike, the pain in your brain has finally left you and you are whole again. The world will miss you. S. Pickett

Recovering

I'm with Janet. This is not about the Dr., or the band members, the family members, the legal system, etc etc. This is about a disease that kills, that tells the very people afflicted with it that they dont have it, that one more time wont hurt. Addicts become blame-throwers...if only this didnt happen, if only this did happen, if only you treated me right...and everyone who joins that chorus is part of the problem and not the solution. Thoughts and prayers for Mike and those who love him.

Lorie

I was really hoping that Mike would be one of the ones to make it! I'm sorry to hear that his addiction got the best of him.

shane harris

its sad you are in good hands now.youer fan shane harris plano ILL.

skye

jar of flies.........

BarbieJo

Rest in peace Mike all your troubles are behind you now and God bless your friends and family

TJ

I knew Mike, Layne and the rest of the guys from AIC. I am sad to see him go. I wish him peace, as I send my thoughts out to Gayle and Mel. I going to miss you bro.

JM in San Diego CA

Dad calls it "a shock and a tragedy." Tragedy, maybe. ... but a shock? Hey, what kidder!

Michelle

I was also on Methadone for a muscle disease,and although it was recommended by my drs for pain,it is truly the "WORST DRUG" I have ever been on in 20 yrs,& Ive been on everything from T3s to Morphine.Anyone considering it,DON'T!I was also taking Xanax,and I nearly lost my daughter because of the TERRIBLE EFFECTS of METHADONE...do not take it,ever...for any reason..I was constantly watching the show,and always thinking of how it could have been me...now,I really know what could have happened.

carolyn

Layne Staley was/is my Guardian-Angel. He & his music saved my life, after i watched my husband die...I feel badly for Mike...I was hoping the sad, sad, way Layne died might have been a lesson for him to live. I have been an AIC fan from the beginning until they lost Layne, and i could no longer follow them...So i guess i am really a Layne fan...Nobody had a voice like him, and as many people that have tried, no one will.
I hope both have found the peace they were seeking & deserved, and may have found alive if they had not been so sick. Drugs start with a high and end with a low, sick is what you become in between, and why many continue, because the drug becomes the only way to rid of the overwhelming pain the drugs caused in the first place. Vicious cycle. That so many do not even try to understand...I have never touched a drug in my life, but have more compassion for these ones, because i came to understand the "disease" it can become. Love you Layne, RIP to both of you...

christina

its really sad to see yet another talented person pass'd away!!!rest in paradise*hope u didnt go throu alot of pain in life,but heaven has no pain!!!!

Mudman

Another junkie gone!

Previous 15 Comments | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments