Mel Gibson

Pleads No Contest

NO JAIL

3/11/2011 8:17 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson just entered a plea of no contest to a charge of simple battery ... and with a little community service and counseling ... it's like nothing ever happened.

0311_mel_gibson_video_court_bn
Mel's no contest plea relates to a domestic situation in which the alleged victim had a child with her.

031111_mel_arrival_small_videoMel's entered what's called a "West Plea" -- which means he is allowed to maintain his innocence.

Under the plea agreement, Mel will do NO jail time.  He must perform 16 hours of community service with a philanthropic organization, Mending Kids, and undergo 52 weeks of counseling -- he's been seeing a counselor since January but will not get credit for the accrued time.

Beyond that ... Mel is required to have only "peaceful contact" with Oksana Grigorieva -- it's the same order he's under in the family law custody case.

Mel was placed on 36 months informal probation. One of the terms of probation -- he cannot use force or violence against anyone. He was also hit with a protective order that gives Oksana the right to record their calls.

Mel's lawyer, Blair Berk, told the judge her client entered the plea in the interests of his children -- so they wouldn't have to endure a one-year legal fight, and that's why he entered the plea.

0311_a_mel_gibson_in_court_footer

fuddyduddy

Horrible, now Oksana can't use Mel’s guilty plea against him in her civil lawsuit. Wow, why didn't the judge and LA District Attorney drag Oksana into court and charge her with battering herself? Why the "F" even bother charging Mel with anything if he can beat up and hold a gun to a woman's head, terrorize and emotionally abuse her and allow him to plead no contest, not admit to any guilt and community service with his soon to be former wife's charity, oh and 3 years’ probation with the psychiatrist he already has and evidently wasn't working well enough to keep him from almost killing Oksana.

Crooked LA, where White male criminals get off scot free.

Posted at 3:38 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by Lucille
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The answer is right in front of your nose. The DA can't do anything! The DA's hands are tied because Ox never called 911 immediately to protect herself and her children. There are no police reports that the DA can use! The tapes were edited as Ox stated to Larry King so the DA can't use them. The pictures were also fabricated and the DA can't use them either. Then Ox ignored the judge's gag order and lied repeatedly while she was caught on camera. Add that she extorted Mel for cash for herself instead of putting any money aside for their daughter.

Why do you base your judgements posted by The National Enquirer and Radar On Line? Unfortunately, the media uses them to get your attention. Think for yourself.

Why are you so angry that Ox screwed herself? She has been pulling this crap for a long, long time with many men for the past 20 years.

That's why Sam is posting the history of Ox's actions. Sam is revealing the fact that Ox has been trying to scam wealthy celebrities for the quick cash for years. Look at her patterns!

Mel won because he told the truth about slapping Ox to protect Lucia from abuse. The DA accepted his statements. Ox lost. Get over it.

And--so many posters here with obvious agendas that everyone can see. Why don't you stop and just say a silent prayer for innocent Lucia and her troubled parents. Lucia certainly doesn't deserve your hatred and your rants.

Posted at 5:15 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by big chief
________________________________________________________________

Big Chief -- really good post. Thank you. :)

I also realized something with what you posted, if this would have gone to trial, then I also think Mel would have won because what evidence did the DA have other than Mel's statement? Nothing. Obviously what Alexander witnessed must not have been too bad because if it was then DCFS would have stepped in, and they didn't.

fuddyduddy

My vasectomy was successful and can be completely reversed, now I can play the two for tango game and send the crazy ones straight on to jail. Let the games begin, now I'M in control....

Posted at 5:17 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by therock
________________________________________________________________

Here's a great 'Two To Tango' song by Vanessa Daou just for you. :)

anonym

I still wonder, what did Mel think when hook up with unatractive aging botox prostitute?

Midwesterner

On the other hand, I said from the beginning that Mel would get sentenced to community service, and that Oksana would not be charged.

I told you so.

Now go back to your fantasy life.

Posted at 5:48 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by yo

__________________________________________

I've predicted the same outcome from the beginning, but unlike you, I knew and said it was unjust and political.

fuddyduddy

funny
up until a couple of days ago I thought Shuffle was a female as well. It had to do with all the effeminate characterizations he/she uses.
oh well -- empty bottles, empty heads!!!

Posted at 8:20 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by TMZgossip

wow see now that is what I always thought about YOU. YOU are the one that acts like you are on the rag all the time, bitchy to everyone. Nasty old menopausal woman you.

Posted at 8:24 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by Sam
Oh, Sam! ROFL! It's so late and I'm just having a good laugh over this one!

BTW, I love ShuffleDemon! Great sense of humor; very witty.

M. Gabriel

Fuddy, don't ever count on me for any winning bets! I truly suck!

Anonymous

@Posted at 10:24 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by kkg
Also a historian by training. Try looking up Oksana's past relationships. The past always reveals the present. Personally find it offensive to see a woman lie about abuse. Perhaps it is because people we know who are truly hurt by others have to use dv shelters. They take what little they have and their children by the hand and leave everything to escape their situation. That was not the case with Oksana she lied publically like the boy who cried wolf. Oksana lied to up the anty. She is a revolting creature of the worst kind and deserves jail time.

Midwesterner

Odd - for all that her supporters are saying Miss Oksana "won", there hasn't been a peep out of her. Even the TMZ guys were surprised that she wasn't in court. Not even a press release or Ralph's parking lot interview.

I wonder what could have kept her away?

Posted at 5:53 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by Curious
_______________________________________________

Unpopular as it is, I am re-posting what I wrote on every Mel thread a couple days ago:

If Mel wants to end this without being in court, he has to give her money--enough to pay off her attorneys and set her up for life. All that would probably be cheaper than a criminal trial and the civil trial that would follow.

However, I am not certain that he's been given any reasonable choice. If they are not charging Ox with anything, he can see that everything is stacked against him. The DA and the lawyers don't want the exposure on their "negotiation" scams, and the lawyers all want to get paid. I wouldn't be surprised if Mel and Blair have been given a script and told to pay up so that Ox doesn't sue.

As I see it, the DA is like the Godfather and can make offers one can't refuse, lest one begin to see: (1) costly delays one after another that keep things in the public eye for years; (2) leaks to the press that make the tapes seem boring; (3) pressure for televised criminal and civil trials . . . and on and on.

I think Mel would want to go to trial, and I think he'd be acquitted. Also, without going to trial, Mel will be bound by the same confidentiality agreements that are supposed to gag Ox, so he would never be able to set the record straight, so to speak.

In short, I think Mel has been forced into the plea bargain with an offer he cannot refuse, and that Berk saying that the idea came from Mel is a scripted portion of the agreement.

All speculation, but based on what "everyone's needs" (other than Mel's) dictate.

Posted at 3:36 PM on Mar 10, 2011 by Midwesterner

Once again, I believe that Mel was forced into the plea deal and has paid her off to keep her quiet. True, she didn't shut up before, but in her eyes she had nothing to lose. By now, financial security should shut her up. I think she had a close scare, and she must have those "lowers" paid.

I don't think we will hear much from Ox in the future.

fuddyduddy

@M. Gabriel -- LOL! You remembered that???? Too funny!

Well, I think that this actually turned out well for Mel. I was a bit put out, but I think if this benefits him and puts a dampener on a civil suit, then this is good. I know there is strategy involved with lawyers, so I think this was a good strategic move.

It will be interesting what starts to trickle out.

fuddyduddy

Middie -- I have to say that Mel could not pay OG off on this deal. You can't do that; it's illegal. That would be like a bribery. Once the matter when to LE, then it was all in LE's hands. You cannot pay off people in criminal matters. Otherwise, it will become another criminal matter.

fuddyduddy

This really is a good deal for Mel. He's not being inconvenienced in any way. The counseling will be good for him, and obviously he feels he needs it. Community service of 16 hours isn't much, and it's great that he will be helping Robyn's charity. The fines weren't much. Informal probation; I don't really know what that is, but it could be something like calling in to a probation officer and not having to go into an office. The protective order is standard, and hopefully he will stay clear of OG. OG is toxic.

M. Gabriel

@Fuddy: Yes, agreed! And I suppose your right!

I've been so busy since this morning with preparing for my sons arrival that I haven't really processed this yet.

Midwesterner

Posted at 11:33 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by fuddyduddy

_______________________________________________________

Fuddy, I am talking about settling a potential civil suit out of court in lieu of taking the time to litigate and pay a kibillion in court costs. That happens all the time.

Mel can give his money to whomever he "chooses," although I don't believe this is much of a choice. Another way to look at it is a revision of the old cohabitation agreement by mutual consent. Je can "gift" her what he wants to.

Look at what we have witnessed. Do you really think this DA and the pack of lawyer rats hanging around this case would bat an eyelash at any arrangement that covered their butts and got them paid?

If Eric George can walk into a meeting with Mel Gibson's estate attorney and say, "Hey, folks, listen to this tape," anything goes in the name of negotiations.

anonym

Team Mel was very wise: they must relies "the Beaver". MG is very responsible person, especial about his team.
This ugly aging whore has ruined many lives.
Grigorieva, live and afraid: i,m sure someone will come for you. I hope you don't forget to close your door. it will not help you.
Ugliest slut in the wold with pounds of botox

Fidel's niece

Fuddy,

I took notes during courtroom proceedings -

1/ Mel got 36 months probation

2/ he will have to do 1 year mental health
counseling which he said he started in
January with his doctor

3/ he will do a 52 week DV program/counseling

4/ pay 400 DV fine plus some other small fines
(total under $1,000)

5/ make restitution of $100 to the DV fund

6/ obey the protective order
for the probation period (36 months)(OG)

7/ do 16 hours of community service
(Mending Kids International,
Robyn's charity, he picked it)

Bottom line, a good deal.

Blair Berk is a hell of a lawyer!

***Team Mel***

Previous 15 Comments | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments