« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

UFC Purchases Strikeforce

3/12/2011 8:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Zuffa, the parent company of UFC, has purchased its top competitor, Strikeforce, UFC president Dana White announced today.

0312_UFC_Strikeforce_BN

In announcing the move, White says it will be "business as usual" for both organizations. White said there will not be "superfights" between fighters of both groups and all contracts and business deals (including Strikeforce's deal with Showtime) will remain unaffected.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

FAsh10nPr1nc3ss

It will be interesting, I train and it's no joke. MMA has the leading viewership amongst PPV in the nation, thanks to the UFC. It will hopefully hold the integrity of STRIKEFORCE. I like quality in everything, it's why I choose DISH Network. I have access to my employee subscription with TV EVERYWHERE, which means I don't miss a minute of the UFC fighting action. I love to catch Silva kicking, and Rich Franklin punching. Love it, so much more to offer with DISH than DIRECTV. Try it out for yourself!

Eric

I'm a fan of both...Maybe its just me that loves this news..but I'd like to see the Brock vs Lashely fight....Yeah I know it wouldn't last long but it would satisfy all the old schoole WWE fans to see these to face off once and for all.. Yeah I know, corny, huh....lol

karlew

LOL Diaz doen't stand a chance of going more than one round with GSP. Plus I kinda like Diaz I'd hate to see him lose so badly.

oatsuzn

ok maybe we can see Overeem run thru the entire UFC heavyweight roster now...

Big D

I'm happy to hear Dana White is taking over. Now women won't be able to fight. Thank God. Women are a circus act in the ring. It's pathetic to watch women fight. Thank you Dana. Time to clean up Stikeforce!

earlyspring

Big D's last comment is idiotic, and I can't believe that no one said anything in response for almost a week.

Yes, the pool of talent in women's MMA is nowhere near as deep as men's, YET. But there have already been some amazing fights. (Tara Larosa and Cris Cyborg come to mind. They would defeat 99 out of 100 GUYS on the street in any no-holds barred type of match. And Liz Carmouche will become a superstar of the sport, I can't believe how close she came to stealing the belt from Marloes Coenen).

To up the number of high quality women fighters, MMA needs to make a special recruiting effort, they need to try to attract women that are at an elite level now in Judo and Jiu-Jitsu and Tae Kwon Do, and they need to open up more weight classes. I think that some of the more neanderthalish of the men MMA fans will get on board if they could watch some supersize women with muscles and talent duke it out.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2