Gilbert Gottfried

Fired by Aflac

Over Japan Tweets

3/14/2011 6:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gilbert Gottfried was fired by Aflac from his gig as the voice of its duck mascot in the wake of his controversial series of tweets about the earthquake in Japan.

Gilbert Gottfried Fired Aflac
The company released a statement saying, "Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac ... Aflac will immediately set plans in motion to conduct a nationwide casting call to find a new voice of the iconic Aflac Duck."

Attempts to reach Gottfried were not successful.

skunk butt

GG SUCKS. He isn't funny and he SUCKS.

kickaboo

gilbert gottfried + bindi irwin (I hate putting that together but go here ...http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm and paste the names) That is how racist and evil Gottfried really is.
What a pig.

jim

@Jim (#137): I do know there are people who come here for the sole purpose of causing trouble and I guess I should take the blame for engaging them. I shall endeavour in the future to refrain from commnicating with those types of people.

Posted at 4:45 PM on Mar 14, 2011 by Tammy

________________________________________________________________

I'm pretty outspoken here....just goes with the territory. I have some nasty things shot my way. But your observations are very acute.

TMZ.....small minds sitting round the square table.

Eric

Freedom of Speech? He has a right to say it, but AFLAC has the freedom of speech to fire him because it doesn't represent their corporate culture.

Sarah

AFLAC is THE leading insurer of Japanese corporations.

Based on that alone, they had every reason to fire him. Even if you take emotions and general human decency out of it, from a public relations perspective he comments could have been devastating for AFLAC as a company.

jim

Posted at 4:53 PM on Mar 14, 2011 by Eric

__________________________________________________________________

Eric,

I think you summed it up nicely.

TMZ....small minds round the square table.

Jason

Apparently Aflac never heard of Gilbert Gottfried before hiring him. They definitely never saw The Aristocrats, or heard any of his Howard Stern appearances. There's this new up and coming comedian they should hire as Gilbert's replacement. His name is Andrew "Dice" Clay.

Harrison

Gilbert may end up on the wrong end of a Samaurai sword for those "just words".

Jack Venturo

I CAN DO THE VOICE!!!! call me!!!!

jim

Posted at 4:56 PM on Mar 14, 2011 by Jason

________________________________________________________________

THAT made me smile Jason.....little miss Muffet sat on her tuffet......the dice man.

TMZ.....small minds round the square table.

zorg

Gilbert Gottfried is a genius. Aflac is the poorer to have lost him.

If they don't like uncomfortable humor they should hire the guy from "Good Morning, Vietnam!" who wants to fire the Robin Williams character and makes tepid jokes that he claims are funny even though the soldiers can't relate to them.

Zach Swan

The tweets were funny. Crass? Sure. Consistent with his style? Yup. Unexpected? Nope.

tenley

They can do whatever they want. It's not a First Amendment issue unless it's the government doing the infringing.

kelly

Most of the comedians think that saying degrading, hurtful, hateful things are funny. Even the sitcoms say hurtful, hateful things to each other and people think it is funny. There is only one great and I mean GREAT comedian and that is Bill Cosby.He can keep you in stitches for two hours and not say one cuse word or one hurtful thing. I'm glad he was fired. More should get fired.

kelly80

Rabbitt

I had no idea he was the Aflac duck. How hard is it to get someone to do the Aflac duck voice? Who cares about this?