Gilbert Gottfried

Fired by Aflac

Over Japan Tweets

3/14/2011 6:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gilbert Gottfried was fired by Aflac from his gig as the voice of its duck mascot in the wake of his controversial series of tweets about the earthquake in Japan.

Gilbert Gottfried Fired Aflac
The company released a statement saying, "Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac ... Aflac will immediately set plans in motion to conduct a nationwide casting call to find a new voice of the iconic Aflac Duck."

Attempts to reach Gottfried were not successful.

yo

Is Gilbert Sheen gonna go on a Violent Torpeducks of Truth Lips Tour now?

I Chinee

I don't really like the guy but come on... I've heard worst jokes about the Japan earthquake then this.

WhackAMole

AFLAC has a huge presence in Japan, including just sending a million dollars in aid. He deserves to be fired. Live by the joke, die by the joke.

Anony Moose

Everybody saying people need to "lighten up" over this. This disaster JUST HAPPENED, and nobody is even sure what the death toll is. What if your mom / spouse / sibling / child died and some washed up D-bag comedian (and I use the term comedian loosely, as his material has never been funny) decided to crack jokes about it right after it happened?

Gwendolyn

He should have been given an opportunity to apologize before they fired him.

val

NO shouldn't be fired but thrown in the middle of the ocean without a chance of being saved. Let him die when these innocent people are dying while loved ones search for them. He deserved to be fired and AFLAC can be proud of their quick response. His rants brought me to tears and if he gets future work I'll be shocked cause this is the end of any career he ever had. GOOD HE WAS FIRED FOREVER!!! Evil freak without a conscience or caring for others.

mjl

The bad boys that get kicked out of catechism will always have to find new friends. the kind that smoke cigarettes and listen to ozzie.

Where's KOOKY?

Kooky,

Feels good when the good guys win once in a while. Thank you.

TMZ....small minds think alike.

Posted at 3:21 PM on Mar 14, 2011 by jim
##############
Jim, thank YOU for all your efforts today. Truly, you are the conscience of the TMZ board...if that's not too much of an oxymoron! lol

By the way, just so that you and everyone knows (and I assume you/they do), I am not the "real" KOOKY, but post in this name as a tribute to him/her, who I really miss.

2percent

@Jim,@tracker and all the rest of you overly sensitive weak minded folk, make up your mind. Do you want freedom of speech or not? You all jump to quickly on the censorship bandwagon, but cry the first time they remove something you like. Finally, Gilbert is a comedian not a Nobel Laureate, treat him a such.

Carl

He had every right to make those jokes, but he had to know that corporations are paranoid about their public image. So I don't feel sorry for him.

DizzKid

If he just would've waited a bit more, then it wouldn't of been a big thing. Look at all the 9/11 jokes or other offense joke going around that people don't give a damn about.

Let not pull the "sensitivity" card now, because people think it's the right time too. Jeez! If I had a nickle. :D

Mayu

I bet he wouldn't be as jovial if someone made a joke about the holocaust. The holocaust happened decades ago and it's still considered in bad taste to make jokes. (and it is) how is it less bad taste to make jokes about Japan 24 hours later while bodies are still being found?

CHILDREN died in this horrible disaster. CHILDREN! Some Children are orphaned... there are parents who will never see their babies again and babies who will never see their parents.

I see nothing funny about it.

I also didn't see Gottfried making jokes about Haiti. If it's so funny and 'just comedy', why didn't he come out and crack a few at the expense of the Haitians?

Gottfried got what he deserved. He has the right to open his big mouth, but Aflac has the right to kick his ass to the curb.

Too bad too, this was his first steady job since the 80's.

PWM

WOW!! completely uncalled for in my opinion. So he made a couple of "jokes" about the events in Japan. I personally thought they were in poor taste, HOWEVER...

it's my CHOICE to read them or not. People seriously need to get off their own personal soap boxes and realize that the only person responsible for being offended is YOURSELF. Truly a sad state our society is in when this clown (which he is) can make people whine and complain like this instead of just not bothering with him. He's nothing more (like most celebs) then an attention seeker... don't bother paying attention and he goes away. Simple huh? ...

jack e. jett

He is annoying at best. Someone needs to fire that turd that is known as Chelsea Handler's boyfriend.......FiddyCent.....

Home Skillet

This douchetard makes nails on a chalkboard seem like a day at the spa. He's a flat-out idiot, and I just gained a lot more respect for Aflac and their decision to can his ugly, annoying ass.