Gilbert Gottfried

Fired by Aflac

Over Japan Tweets

3/14/2011 6:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gilbert Gottfried was fired by Aflac from his gig as the voice of its duck mascot in the wake of his controversial series of tweets about the earthquake in Japan.

Gilbert Gottfried Fired Aflac
The company released a statement saying, "Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac ... Aflac will immediately set plans in motion to conduct a nationwide casting call to find a new voice of the iconic Aflac Duck."

Attempts to reach Gottfried were not successful.

ShepDawg

Gilbert Gottfried did the voice of the duck?

CCC

People on this site act all high and mighty, but I've read some of the most horrible comments right here on this post section. A lot of you people are rude and racist and simply uncaring, but when someone makes a joke you all get up in arms and are ready to hang him. What a bunch of two-faced creeps. I'd rather hang out with Gilbert than most of you any day of the week.

Jim in Cali

I didn't like the jokes but to get fired over it? That's a little harsh.

the aflac duck will never be the same.

captbilly

This is just like Michael Phelps being fired for the picture of him with a hash pipe. The picture came out just as the whole financial mess/economic downturn was happening and, the companies who had contracted with Phelps for millions of dollars, figured they could bail out of their contracts without having to pay up. If they wanted Phelps they wouldn't have cared about the picture but they were worried about money and Phelps gave them an out. I suspect that Aflac didn't really want to pay Gilbert anymore so they figured they could make a case for cancelling his contract.

I didn't really see anything particularly offensive about what Gilbert said. I suppose that if I was one of the survivors, still looking for a missing loved, one I wouldn't think it was funny, but honestly I love putting a humorous note on even the most serious of events. I am fairly sure that Gottfreid doesn't think that the Tsunami was funny, but laughing in the face of adversity can be quite healing.

Joann

HE was the voice of the Aflac duck?

Gilbert should have known better. He may be a comedian but the horrific events that has happen to Japan and the surrounding towns is nowhere near something to joke about. That was very insensitive of him.

mjl

Don't feel sorry for the hometown tsunami company AFLAC. their going to try and find every way possible to not pay out to the victims of this latest tragedy. you think katrina victims fared any better? if that's what they are an insurance company im going to be surprised. quack quack..

jim

I did NOT say AFLAC didn't have a right to fire Gilbert, I said they shouldn't have. Furthermore, it's telling about you that you find it necessray to resort to calling me names because we differ in opinion/belief, when I was very polite in my responses to you. Of course, given the tone of the very first post, I don't find your inability to communictae without vulgarity surprising.

Posted at 4:12 PM on Mar 14, 2011 by Tammy

Tammy,

Look at some of the replies here. These are people who come here to cause trouble....communication skills hardly evident.

_______________________________________________________________

You're an internal, you post on every TMZ story and usually the first one on first thing in the morning too and the most vulgar posts. Good job! You do this for attention and to get the hits up, or, you're just stupid and unemployed without a life and doing it for attention. either way...hope you get what you're looking for, attention on a stupid tabloid website. LOSER!

When one engages in any type of 'normal' discussion on this stupid boards, one has to step back and say, "Oh, it's trash can TMZ, home of the loser Levin".

See ya!

Posted at 4:19 PM on Mar 14, 2011 by katie10
_____________________________________________________________

Katie10,

No truer words said. The backlash against TMZ here on their own site is very heartwarming. It shows that some have a little compassion and intelligence. I assume that is why most people with opposing opinions (comments) here attack(name call)rather than debate.

TMZ....small minds gathering round the square table.

steve

This guy is a horrible human being, and that has nothing to do with the Japan comments.

melissa

Boy,Gibert sure is getting a lot of Jap-flack!!

Bobo Frog

Now it's time for PBS to fire his arse.

silk

To: There Goes My Show

Your user name speaks for itself, because of your comment!

Tammy

@Jim (#137): I do know there are people who come here for the sole purpose of causing trouble and I guess I should take the blame for engaging them. I shall endeavour in the future to refrain from commnicating with those types of people.

mjl

4-Month-Old Baby Founded Buried Beneath Rubble in Japan After 3 Days

Latest headline above, yeah...this stuff is just hilarious!

________________________________________________________________

Don't worry im sure AFLAC has them covered.. just like in the katrina disaster.

gibbs

Too soon------Yes. He showed no taste at all. Not everything can be turned in a joke.

kp

We are so lucky it is not us, do you see us standing in lines for hours to buy 10 items of food, wait 4 hours for gas no looting. Japan's people are very honorable and my heart goes out to them. To think some one would think it is funny or should lighten up and have a sense of humor Shame on you and I would hope more people would think it is not humor but a sick azz hole period.