'Celeb Apprentice' Contestant Ordered to Prison

3/14/2011 12:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Richard Hatch -- the guy who won $1 million on Season 1 of "Survivor" -- has been ordered to surrender to U.S. marshals by NOON today to begin a 9-month prison sentence for not paying taxes on the prize money.

0314_richard_hatch_BN_Getty_01

Hatch had filed a request to delay his surrender until he could get his business affairs in order ... but earlier today, the judge shot down the request ... which means Hatch better get his ass over to his nearest marshals station ASAP.

Hatch is currently a contestant on "Celebrity Apprentice" -- and though most of the season has already been taped ... the finale will be LIVE in a couple of months.

So, if by chance ... Hatch makes it all the way to the final 2 ... Trump better make sure he can broadcast from behind bars!

UPDATE: Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal David Remington tells us Hatch has officially surrendered to authorities.

Cody

Cant say I blame him, gotta love the false advertising on all of these shows. "You can win a million dollars". No, you can win 550,000 after taxes.

Steinmetz

Too bad he isn't a Democrat in congress as this would only be a "slight mistake" and then he would be reelected. The rest of us "small people" go to prison for the same mistake.

Another Perspective

It's easy to condemn Richard Hatch, but he has his side of the story too.

It's not as black and white as it appears. And yes, he did already spend time in prison for his offense. He was sent back for a violation of probation, and according to Hatch, he's in a catch 22 as to why he can't comply as directed.

Hatch's own words...

GrannyDawletter

Hey Richard, are you going to walk around nekkid in prison just like you did on Survivor? If you do, then you're going to make more "friends" in the hoosegaw than you did on the island. It could be the first time in your life that you've ever been popular.

Eat Me

What you think your Obama and not be responible. Your a **** ASS

Tony

I can't stand Hatch but come on......you win $1 mill and you have to pay $2 mill in taxes, interest and penalties? Talk
about thugs!

Liz

Maybe if he stopped hiring lawyers he would have money to pay his taxes.

Mikey

What does Hatch owe like $400,000? It must have been nice to have the money invested for the past 10 years instead of paying taxes.

Tammy

Too funny he gets 9 months for not paying taxes here in Canada you can kill someone and not get that much time. Having said that I don't like him so good on him I wish he would just go away.

GEL

#68 It's easy to condemn Richard Hatch, but he has his side of the story too.

________________________________________________________________

He may have his side of the story, but it's not a plausible one. He's the only one putting himself in a Catch-22, ANYONE can go to tax attorney or a really good accountant and have all of this taken care of. THEY would have gotten the information as to what was needed for him, THEY would have done the paperwork, THEY would have filed it as well. Stubbornness, laziness, and an attitude that says U.S. tax laws don't apply to him doesn't make him an exception to our tax laws. It's his own fault he's going back to jail, it's not as if he hasn't had time to get this taken care of.

talverri

3 years in prison? For Not paying taxes? You could argue tax evasion, although that charge considering other people with much larerr dollar amounts in play, is Very Subjective. Sounds to me like DEBTOR'S PRISON.

Danielle

I am not a Richard Hatch fan at all, I hate his arogance, attitude and just his general demeanor, but he did already spend 51 months in jail on this charge. When does the judge expect him to earn money if they keep keeping him in jail or at home on a monitoring system. I think the Judge was a bit too over zealous in this case.

This is what Hatch said on ROL, who knows what the truth is:

"I filed 2000 and 2001 tax returns as directed in writing by the IRS and prepared by my accountant. I believed them to be accurate. The IRS began conversations with my accountant and tax attorney about how they could be made more accurate. Those conversations (for which I was paying) lasted nearly two years before RI's corrupt former Attorney General Robert Clark Corrente converted that civil inquiry into a criminal prosecution - WITHOUT THE IRS EVER HAVING COMPLETED ITS ASSESSMENT OF THOSE RETURNS.

They tried to plea bargain with me and I refused. Then they dropped the tax evasion charges and months later brought 10 counts:

bank fraud, wire fraud, mail fraud, charity fraud and attempting to evade taxes. I still refused to plea and was acquitted of everything except "attempting to evade taxes" that still hadn't (AND STILL HAVE NOT) been determined to be due. The original judge gave me more time for the concocted amounts prosecutors claimed I would eventually owe than anyone in US history. He also added two special conditions: 1) get mental health counseling and 2) amend those tax returns and pay all taxes due. Notice Judge Torres didn't order a mental health evaluation. His biases were evident throughout. Probation ordered the evaluation and counseling was not indicated... so probation considered me to have met Torres' first condition. Torres could never have known (and certainly didn't care) that the IRS' audit of my returns would still be ongoing (through no fault or delay on my part) this many years later, but that is the case.

My case is currently before the US Tax Court awaiting resolution. I have done EVERYTHING HUMANLY POSSIBLE WORKING TOWARD THE DETERMINATION REQUIRED TO AMEND THOSE RETURNS. IN THE MEANTIME, IT IS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME NOR WILL MAY ACCOUNT PREPARE AMENDED RETURNS WITHOUT THE DETERMINATION FROM TAX COURT OF WHAT FIGURES ARE ACCURATE.

Additionally, I have done everything else ever asked of me by probation and followed all rules without exception. All this, by the way, after having already served my entire 51-month prison sentence for that did not occur, never mind that I did not commit. And all this was communicated in detailed emails with probation between Oct 2009 (when I was released) and now. I am happy to share all of those emails with anyone. Still, out of the blue one day, after I'd been doing everything asked and after I'd been all along asking probation for guidance as to how I could possible do any more to be in compliance, probation decided to "violate" me for not having amended the returns.

Judge Smith held a hearing on Jan 10 at which he heard expert testimony that I do not now owe nor have I ever owed any taxes I have not paid. (And I've recently received three IRS refund checks totally thousands of dollars) Expert testimony also explained how I am not able to amend at this time. Regardless, Judge Smith (apparently overwhelmed with other case work) appeared not to have researched the case nor understood the facts and accepted prosecutors' lies sentencing me to 9 months in prison while citing example after example of my comments (free speech) in pursuit of exoneration and in complete disregard of my FULL compliance.

I am VERY SAD."

Carl

Amazing that he thinks he can pull one over on the IRS not once, but twice on the same debt. The IRS was responsible for putting away most of the big time gangsters and mafia bosses. Did Hatch really think he was more clever than them?

Cartman

He could've avoided his previous sentence and he could've easily have avoided this sentence.

This guy likes being in jail.

HarryPalms

Celebrity Apprentice (I thought) is for contestants to donate money to their favorite charities...

Next time Richard Hatch goes on a reality show he should go on one that'll pay his taxes to the IRS.