Nate Dogg -- Family Suspects Cause of Death

3/16/2011 1:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nate Dogg's family believes the singer's death was caused by complications stemming from the two strokes he suffered over the past couple of years ... this according to the singer's close friend and manager Rod McGrew.

Nate Dogg Death

McGrew tells TMZ ... Nate's death was unexpected ... since he was making significant progress in his recovery from the most recent stroke he suffered in 2008.

According to McGrew ... Nate was "95% recovered from the first stroke in 2007" ... when the second stroke occurred in 2008 ... leaving Nate partially paralyzed and causing partial memory loss.

But McGrew says Nate had "cognitively fully recovered" -- meaning he got his memory back and was fully alert and aware all the way up to his final days.

McGrew just released a statement on behalf of himself and Nate's family ... saying, "We appreciate the enormous outpouring of response from all over the world. We greatly appreciate that and thank everyone for their prayers and support."

The statement continues, "We know that Nate will be hanging out with his good friends 2Pac and Biggie."

Nate's official cause of death has not been released.

Aaron White

I remember when I first started working with nate back in 2000 and I said yes Sir. To him and he said just call me (NATE), I was his first Executive protection agent before that he had home boy security what a life what a world my hear goes out family and friends and rod mcgrew thanks for given me the opportunity for working with a grate man one love for all man kind :(

dd

#153 PREACH!

sick of it

Just be glad this piece of CRAP is gone and we don't have to see his GAY ass face anymore.........

Superman

****COUGH**Drugs**COUGH***

CORTEZ

U KNOW WHAT,IM SICK OF WHITE PEOPLE AND THEIR "COLORED COLLOQUIALISMS" WHEN WHITE PEOPLE BLUSH, THEY TURN PINK OR RED.WHEN THEY BRUISE, THEY TURN GREEN AND BLACK. WHEN THEY DIE, THEY TURN BLUE. BUT THEY CALL BLACKS COLORED.... THIS MAN LIVED HIS LIFE THE WAY HE WANTED. WHICH IS THE AMERICAN DREAM....FREEDOM. REGARDLESS OF HOW HE LIVED HIS LIFE, WHEN GOD IS READY TO TAKE YOU, ITS JUST THAT TIME. HE IS IN HEAVEN NOW WATCHIN EVERYONE OF THE HATERS HE HAS. BECAUSE ONE DAY, DEATH WILL KNOCK ON UR FRONT DOOR. AND THE QUESTION IS... ARE YOU READY? SO GET YOUR LIFE RIGHT BECAUSE ALL OF US ARE CREATED IN GOD'S IMAGE. TO NATE'S FAMILY, IF YOUR READING THIS, BE ENCOURAGED AS ONLY GOD CAN BE A TRUE COMFORT TO YOU NOW! DEAPEST REGARDS~ CORTEZ

FLAHOMIE

R.I.P. NATE DOGG A LEGENDARY VOICE THA WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN....**** ANY1 ON THIS **** SPEAKIN DOWN ON THA D O DOUBLE G !

Trish

This world is full of soldiers and we have lost of the greatest ones. Love and prayers goes out to the family. God Bless

Lobo90806

I gre up in long beach around all theses famous dog pound snoop and all them .... Nate dogs strokes and death all came from him abusing crack cocaine..... I seen it first hand.... Hey I'm no angel I smoked it b4 to but I got over it.... Theses guys have money to keep doing it.....

Peni

R.I.P Nate Dogg.....you will be missed all around the world!! We will miss you here in Australia too..... Taken too soon but will live in us all forever!! Our thoughts go out to his family also.....

Peni

These comments are meant for us to put how we feel about the death of someone amazing....why do people still have issues with race or colour?? Grow up and get over it we are all human and who gives a **** what colour we are!!!!!
:]

vicky reyes

my prayers go out to the family and friends of nate dogg he is in a better place safe and happy

sick of it

hate to tell everyone but this piece of crap went down not up ...heaven doesn't except TRASH!!!!!!

JLG1329

Now he has wings and can fly...sharing smooth, soulful lyrics with the Angels. R.I.P. Nate Dogg - you'll be greatly missed!

precious

U may be gone but not for gotten the hampton family love
and miss you we wish you a peace full jerney r.i.p.
nate dogg.

T

R.I.P Nate Dogg is all that can be said you surely are in a better place, far away from this hateful world, but still your presence will be missed.