Nate Dogg -- Family Suspects Cause of Death

3/16/2011 1:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nate Dogg's family believes the singer's death was caused by complications stemming from the two strokes he suffered over the past couple of years ... this according to the singer's close friend and manager Rod McGrew.

Nate Dogg Death

McGrew tells TMZ ... Nate's death was unexpected ... since he was making significant progress in his recovery from the most recent stroke he suffered in 2008.

According to McGrew ... Nate was "95% recovered from the first stroke in 2007" ... when the second stroke occurred in 2008 ... leaving Nate partially paralyzed and causing partial memory loss.

But McGrew says Nate had "cognitively fully recovered" -- meaning he got his memory back and was fully alert and aware all the way up to his final days.

McGrew just released a statement on behalf of himself and Nate's family ... saying, "We appreciate the enormous outpouring of response from all over the world. We greatly appreciate that and thank everyone for their prayers and support."

The statement continues, "We know that Nate will be hanging out with his good friends 2Pac and Biggie."

Nate's official cause of death has not been released.

fati

no, #15 tea party mom should "who is this person", just like we don't say "who is this white person", colored isn't necessary. We're not trying to pick him out of a crowd, his picture is right there. Don't be ridiculous.

ya boii Trigger

to #4 u really need to get slapped u dumb trick
Nate Dogg was one of the greatest
R.I.P. Nate
I'll smoke one in memory of you

SuckItTeaParty

TeaParty Mom, you know you don't have a 5 Bedroom Rock so stop with the false claims. You obviously spend more time on TMZ than working on paying off that so called 5 Bedroom Rock that you claim so openly in a TMZ forum for that matter. Anyway, Nate Dogg was an entertainer and can't forget the countless hooks he was on while listening to 90's Hip Hop. RIP Dogg.

D

Honestly folks, what's wrong with colored? It's not that deep. It reminds of being in high school, when a kid called a cafeteria a "black b-word." Some of the black kids were pissed. The principal asked me to intervene - since I was/am black. As it turns out, the guy actually said "b-word," not "black b-word." Somehow my classmates were o.k. with that. I'm like...uhhh...she is black...that's not the insult. (SMH)

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about Nate Dogg. He was very young. As for his music, I think the gift of singing is so great...and it always bothers me when people sing curses and disparage women...as opposed to uplifting our people. Somehow, that just never sat quite right with me...

May the Lord rest his soul.

TheKing

RIP Nate Dogg. Loved your flow!!

lashawn

i love NATEDOGG u r gonna be sadley missed.coming from the #1 fan in naptown

scotty

miss you Nate Dogg,
-NB, CANADA

Chelsea

@11

Dang...that was really rude.
For like...no reason, even if you don't enjoy the company of black people act like an adult.
Even with 5 bedrooms you are still classless, tisktisk.

jk

B.F.D.

nicky

We never know when the Lord will call us home so we must be ready at all times R I P nate dogg

Tiffany

@4, get the hell out of here if all you are going to do is be disrespectful. RIP Nate Dogg

wow ew

oh my God, did he die young or what?! may he rest in peace.

dd

@va reb Who was he, HE WAS A UNITED STATES MARINE, show some damn respect he served this country with honor even for your sorry ass.

girl_j4u

It is depressing to hear that another talented person like Nate Dogg died. I wish his family love and peace. R.I.P. Nate Dogg. All of the comments that were not focused really about him are just really disappointing. I just hope that soon the world can get passed certain things and start working together. Life is too short to just keep feeding to the hate.
-Stay Blessed!...

Babylonianqueen

PINK BLACK PURPLE WHITE YELLOW GREEN STFU. THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR STUPID.PAY YOUR RESPECTS AND MOVE ON!!!!

Whoever is on here passing judgment needs to swallow a d k an stfu in Xxplosive words recognize an have some respect you garbage mutherfckers!!!! RESPECT!!!!

A true OG rapper pioneer to art-rap-music
While the west coast roles along....
A life cut so short
We know your in the heavens above
While we stay in denial