Jimmy Buffett Sinks Teeth Into 'Tiger Blood'

3/18/2011 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jimmy Buffett is trying to capitalize on the Charlie Sheen phenomenon ... the prince of 'parrot heads' just filed papers to create a drink called Tiger Blood.

0318_jimmy_tiger_EX_COMP
According to documents filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and obtained by TMZ  -- Margaritaville Enterprises LLC, owned by the singer, filed two applications on March 15 to trademark "Tiger Blood" for use in vodka and energy drinks.

As TMZ previously reported -- Tiger Blood is Charlie Sheen's codename for his mangosteen-infused fruit smoothie,  Xango juice.

Interesting ... if Jimmy's application goes through, Charlie won't be able to capitalize on what he made famous -- but then again, there's more to life than vodka and energy drinks.

carolyn

Filing a trademark is NOT proof of use in commerce. It goes through a registration process including publication for any objections and to become fully registered you have to provide proof of use in commerce. The date of use in commerce has yet to be determined.

Race is on.

carolyn

If Sheen used it on his tees and referred to it in connection with a vodka or energy drink he wins the commerce usage race.

Kathy

That is called stealing someone else's idea.

Who would want to be associated with this anyway? Tiger blood my ass, more like cocaine and alcohol blood.

Jimmy isnt even a big enough star to carry this off. He is an old has been. Yeah, I want to drink Tiger Blood so I can be like him and Charlie? Really?

AgentBlonde

Charlie will get paid from this, and probably already has a deal with Jimmy Buffett. At least, I hope so.

carolyn

I just wanted to clear up the legal issues accurately. I get concerned when half info is out there--it's only money they'll figure out something but if anyone wants accurate info on what a trademark is and what it requires to be valid--I've done my part to get the facts out.

Puckett

"In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy isn't doing this JUST to bitch-slap Chuckles the Crackhead Clown. He, like the rest of the world (excluding the Sheen ball-hangers, of course) is probably SICK of this no-talent spewing his rhetoric through whatever media outlet that will have his ass. Not a Buffett fan by any means (although I've read a couple of his books), but after hearing this latest chapter in the Chuckles Saga, I say, "Go Team Parrothead!!!"

Posted at 1:11 PM on Mar 18, 2011 by JWLor"

Way to project your own raging jelousy and hatred onto everyone else too. Shut up and speak for yourself, dumbass.

Nobody else needs you to speak out for them. Jimmy Buffet, Charlie's ball hangers and "all the rest of the world" can speak for themselves without your "help".

Stick to what you know... your own pathetic feelings and opinions. And stay the hell away from what you don't know, that is how everyone else feels about it. Because you obviously don't.

Kitkat

Jimmy Buffet Rocks!! Charlie Sheen is a boob!

Bob Curran

I believe that the picture has been photoshopped. The neck and hand do not belong to the face.

whocares

COMEON JIMMY..HAVE MORE CLASS!
WOULD I BUY THIS BOOZE? NOT !!
I DO NOT HAVE ANY DESIRE TO PROMOTE A TOTAL "MELTDOWN LOSER".
SHEEN IS A NITWIT CRASHING TO THE PAVEMENT.
HE CAN ONLY GO SO FAR..THEN REALITY WILL SETIN AS HE HAS ESCAPED NUMEROUS CONTACT WITH LE AND GOT A PASS.
CHARLIE TAKE UR DUMBASS AND GO AWAY PLEASE. !!

sirius89

reminds me on Entourage where turtle want's to make a vodka deal. ^^

Autumn_in_Michigan

Well, we'll just have to wait and see, Carolyn! My money is on Buffett prevailing - I'm sure his uber-sharp legal team wouldn't have gone to all this trouble if they didn't think they had legal leg to stand on...AND I think Jimmy's got a tad bit more "fun money" to blow on litigation...his LIQUID assets are estimated at well over 500 million...guess he didn't blow all his cash on crack & 'hos, unlike some people we know!

Posted at 1:11 PM on Mar 18, 2011 by JWLor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I were a gambler, that's where my money would be placed - on Buffet and his legal/business team.

Autumn_in_Michigan

See the website above if interested in understanding trademarks in the US.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK ----- some legal info---Doesn't matter who files for Trademark--ownership goes to the first one that used the phrase in commerce. Charlie wins this if he chooses.
also Sheen can contest it when it is posted for objections before Trademark is official
Two swipes at the apple for Charlie.

Posted at 11:56 AM on Mar 18, 2011 by carolyn

~~~~~~~~~

That's correct in general, Carolyn.

The purpose of the research part of the formal registration of a trademark is to make a determination about prior usage rights.

However, in this specific case in order for Charlie to be able to effectively contest he would have to have established his commercial rights prior to Buffet's filing date.

In other words, Charlie would have to have his own commercial vodka and/or energy drink products using the brand name "Tiger Blood" pre-established either via his own application or via contract, production, etc.

Moreover, none of Charlie's usage of those words to date establishes any intention on his part to ever make "Tigers Blood" his brand name in commercial products involving vodka and/or energy drinks. Any claims on Charlie's part now that he had had that intention are simply after the fact of Buffet's actual filing.

And, of course if Charlie had a good legal/business team himself they would have done just what Buffet's has done and filed an application as soon as the product(s) were in the planning stage - assuming that such had ever been in the actual planning.

Charlie failed to make "Tiger's Blood" his own ~brand name~ when he had a chance. Game over, IMO. However, nothing's stopping Charlie from throwing money away via a legal battle and for a lawyer to profit from same.

Autumn_in_Michigan

"In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy isn't doing this JUST to bitch-slap Chuckles the Crackhead Clown."

Posted at 1:11 PM on Mar 18, 2011 by JWLor"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to admit, the same sort of thought also crossed my mind when I first read the story.

IMO, Jimmy Buffet is an actual example of "crazy like a fox" whereas Charlie Sheen is simply "crazy". I've said it before and I'll say it again, Charlie (and his money as others have pointed out) is his own worst enemy right now.

cjdtx

Brilliant!!!! Go, Jimmy!!!

kickaboo

Never thought poorly of Jimmy Buffet till now.