Knut, Famous Polar Bear, Found Dead

3/19/2011 12:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Knut -- the famous polar bear raised by zookeepers in Germany -- died Saturday in his compound, a Berlin zoo official announced today.

Knut Dead
Knut became famous after he was rejected by his mother at birth and raised by zookeepers at the Berlin Zoo.

According to one report, he was found floating in the water in the zoo's polar bear enclosure on Saturday. Bear keeper Heiner Kloes was quoted as saying, "He was by himself in his compound, he was in the water, and then he was dead ... He was not sick, we don't know why he died."

A cause of death is not known, but tests are expected to be performed Monday.

He was 4.

schoen1

Polar bears don't tend to do well in zoos, especially in warm climates and their enclosures are not big enough for them. The last time I was at the zoo in Portland, it was a hot August day and I felt so sorry for the polar bears, because they were so out of their natural element.

Cartman

Global Warming claims another polar bear!

Damn you, Al Gore!

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

How sad! Only 4 years old. :(

elizabeth

Rip Knut. Hope they can figure out what happened.

static

Was Courtney Love in Germany at the time?

CrisDizzle

Get it together TMZ, must be a slow news day in Hollywood! Is this a celebrity gossip site or National Geographic??? WTF!

SYLVI212

Poor Knut. I suspect foul play.

Posted at 9:13 AM on Mar 19, 2011 by Julie

I sure hope you are wrong. That would be horrible. We saw Knut when we were in Berlin. So so sad.

gutsygirl

These pictures show Knut as an adult. I remember him best as a snowball cub. A beautiful animal and such a loss. My condolences
to those who loved and nurtured him these last four years.

bob

Guess his mama was right.

Grumpinmcpunkkin

How sad :(

O-C Guy

Berlin zoo just accounced that the Knut was listening to Harvey's recording of "My Way" and was so desponded he committed suicide.

Angie

I agree # 31, That is exactly what I thought when I read the story. The instinct of animals is to not waste the time on those who are sickly. The mother obviously knew this when she rejected him. Now it is coming to light that mama was right. Still- very sad andhe had 4 good years. It didn't matter that he didn't know he was a polar bear. You don't know what you don't know.

syed

for more related articles visit www.ready2fun.com

Leigh Ann

Did it occur to anyone that maybe the reason he died in his pen all alone is because he was all alone? He should have had companionship.

SYLVI212

You know, you guys saying that "his mother must have known something" have an excellent point. I didn't even consider that but it makes perfect sense. I think you are right, it certainly isn't "normal" for a mother to reject her cub. It will be interesting to see what the autopsy results show. Good thinking everyone.