« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

UFC Star

Takes Down Robber

Before Fight

3/19/2011 6:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jon "Bones" Jones -- who has a huge UFC fight tonight in New Jersey with Shogun Rua -- just subdued a robber with an awesome fighting move -- TMZ has learned.

0319_jon_bones_jones_EX
Jones was doing what has become his ritual before a fight ... he was meditating at a park in Patterson, NJ when he heard a woman scream, "I've been robbed!"

Jones began chasing the man for a good distance. When the fighter caught up with the alleged robber, he knocked the guy's legs out from under him, then placed him in a figure-four leg lock until Paterson cops arrived.

Jones' fight tonight -- UFC 128 -- is in Newark.

Jones tells TMZ, "It was a great pre-fight warm-up for me!"

UPDATE: Jones tweeted about the incident, and even posted a photo (see below) his driver took of the aftermath. He wrote, "I caught him....Coach Jackson finished him ... It feels so good to help others. It gives me power and energy."

0319_jon_bones_jones_twitter

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Canadasux

Cool! But, so much for his meditation ritual. It didn't work.

Nostradamus

Dustin, your so wrong. I've been watching and betting on MMA for almost 10 yrs. It can very profitable, especially undervalued underdogs. There has been more than one year where my MMA bets made up for a losing NFL season. I almost never lay more than -200, and when I bet on a favorite, I will usually parlay it.

Nostradamus

oops- you're

BobReilly

CriticAI, if he really used a figure four leg lock, it may not have been the pro wrestling figure four; there is a toe hold used in mma/bjj where you figure four your arms similar to a kimura, but on the foot...it's a lot less flashier than the pro wrestling one, so in theory, it's possible he used that...however, this kid is known for flashy moves, so who knows, maybe he did bust out the pro wrestling version, that'd have been tiiiiiight hahah

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Good for him! Hope the robber's stewing in his juices in jail, & after that, prison. Putz.

i would expect ufc fighters to do this all the time

CriticAl

That would be a foot lock, not a leg lock, and would be an ineffective and risky way to hold someone down.

frankentit

Hell yeah! I hope he ruins Shogun!

Details?

Jon "Bones" Jones, Great Job. We should all have each others backs. Hero! You are already a winner! Best wishes in all you do.

Donna

Way to go dude!!! Way to go!

nephilim3

This happens all the time in Paterson (spelled with one T )I'ts no different in Camden or in Newark where he is about to fight. I wish him all the luck,I would just like to know what park he was in , the area in the pic dosent look familiar

kim

awesome job.....now go get the WIN.....

antiobama

Wish there were more people like Jones out there

Facts TMZ

Get the facts right as your story is so construed it's sick.

Welcome to the next National Inquirer

Mel

He's a Hero!! Good for him, he's going to win tonight too, awesome fighter he's the next big name Fighter fo sho!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments