Banksy's Stolen L.A. Street Art -- The Hunt Is On

3/22/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Several works of art created by Oscar nominated street artist Banksy have been "stolen" off the L.A. walls they were painted on -- and now TMZ has learned, the hunt is on to get them back.

0318_banksy_doc_ex

The people who run the user-generated news blog AllVoices.com ignited the effort with an open letter last week -- asking "the individuals responsible for the theft of this art to come forward and return the art to its rightful owners: the communities that received these unique and spontaneous gifts."

0318_banksy_art_removal

And as an added incentive ... AV is even offering to throw down cash "to purchase these stolen pieces and subsequently put them on public display so that the world can enjoy these creations."

Banksy couldn't be reached for comment. Because he's Banksy.

what He said

it probably stole it itself for pr but hopefully it never surfaces again.

thestupid

Jesus man! I could have drawn that in high school art class! Who in the hell thinks this Banksy is unique or better than average in ANY way? PLUS.... thats graffiti! They SHOULD have painted over the crap. PLUS Im betting Banksy is stealing his own crap to get attention!

northern gypsy

i'm not familiar with this artist...however...
i've seen some innovative graffiti art in my travels...
if it makes me stop and think...or...smile...(in my opinion) it's a gift...
to be enjoyed by everybody !!!

Angel

this is weird

London calling..

Banksy: culturally, politically and philosophically astute. No wonder many of you don't understand.. these words aren't in the American dictionary.

dprice

@ #18 karissa

you could not have drawn that with 5 cans of spray paint in a matter of 20 minutes with out getting caught. Banksy's political and social messages are relevant and his art is worth more money than you'll make in a lifetime.

Jen

WHOA!! Why is everyone so sensitive and angry in their comments?? Banksy just like every other street artist has his own style, his a little more political ;-)

The billboard piece is sitting on the CBS lot....fyi.

pmckenna

Clearly you don't know art, look up who's buying his art and how much they are paying for it. I'm sure people said the same thing about Picasso and Jackson Pollock.

John

Hmmm, I think I'll take "NHL Jersey Woman for $30, Alex." So what exactly is a "NHL Jersey Woman"?

As far as the pollution this guy puts out, I say good riddance. It my be good but it also encourages others to "deface" public property. Like those gangs who paint their logo or fancy "evil" looking writing all over the place. Illegal is illegal regardless of the intentions.

Joe Bibby

Come on everyone...Banksy painted this on an abandoned building with the sole purpose of having it stolen...likely from someone on his own team. Just part of his latest schtick. Jokes on all ya.

tgrfan42069

have these morons ever stopped to think.maybe the buildings owner had it removed because some vandal painted an eyesore on the wall??

Anonymous

I'm GLAD they were stolen! I hope whoever took them DOESN'T give them back! Who wants to look at trashy depictions of beloved cartoon characters? It's vile and disgusting. I have to agree with those who say that the so-called "artist" of this graffiti is way overrated and that this is NOT art. I'm sorry for those of you who think that a picture of Charlie Brown smoking a cigarette and pouring gasoline is just SO "philosophical" or "political," but anybody who would do that to Charlie Brown is about as deep as a puddle of spit. Next you'll be thinking that Banksy's some kind of spiritual guru! Get a grip! It doesn't take any talent to make something awful out of somebody else's creation, teenagers do this kind of stupid stuff all the time when they're doodling in class! It's nothing special and it's certainly nothing to celebrate. It wouldn't surprise me if somebody stole this graffiti out of respect for the original characters or their artists.

Jesus

it was probably some toy ass kids who cant write their own ****...

Lauren

how about how he's breaking the law by creating "art" on other people's property. if he did something on the wall of my building id paint right over it.

smashley

ummm nobody owns the art and nobody would have cared if he wasn't involved in a film that received an academy award nomination so stfu all you pretentious douches... this sheety attention has decreased my respect for the guy.. its looking like he'll be another fairey soon enough.... effing stupid. Hollywood ruins everything that is good for a buck.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments