Celeb Chef -- Too Busy for 'Make-A-Wish' Kid

3/25/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Make-a-Wish Foundation had to break some bad news to a 6-year-old cancer patient this week ... when Food Network star Ina Garten informed them she was too busy to cook a meal with the boy ... TMZ has learned.

Ina Garten Enzo

A family member involved with the Make-A-Wish foundation tells us ... a little boy named Enzo was approached by the organization after he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia three years ago.

Enzo told Make-A-Wish ... he really wanted to cook with the "Barefoot Contessa" host because he would often watch the show with his mother while resting in bed.

M.A.W. approached Garten with the wish last year ... but at the time, she was unable to meet with Enzo due to a book tour.  The organization urged Enzo to pick another wish, but he told them he wanted to wait until she becomes available.

We're told the organization went back to Ina this year ... but her team responded with a "definite no" ... once again, citing scheduling conflicts.

A member of Enzo's family says the 6-year-old is heartbroken ... and asked parents, "Why doesn't she want to meet me?"

When we called Make-A-Wish for comment on this story, they told us, "From time to time, planning for wishes doesn't turn out as originally envisioned, despite people’s best intentions and efforts throughout the wish-granting process."

They noted that Ina is a "good friend" of the foundation.

A rep for Garten tells us, "Despite her demanding schedule, [Ina] participates and helps as many organizations as she can throughout the year, helping children and adults like Enzo with life threatening and compromising illnesses.

The rep continues, "Unfortunately, as much as she would like to, it's absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives."

We're told Enzo has now made a new wish -- he wants to swim with dolphins ... and he's already taking lessons to make his dream come true.

Justme

Rarely do I comment here, but I agree with chrissy. I am sending a message to Food Network too, and will no longer watch her show. She needs to realize the only reason she is "famous" is because of people who watch the show, and if that goes away, she will have plenty of time on her hands. How selfish can one be?!

MoonDust

well, I bet now she is gonna go and pretend her team never told her about this, typical!!

allen

she ought to be ashamed

Justme

If anyone wants to send a messsage to Food Netwok about this here is the URL

I just sent a message to them now.

JPAUL9999

For the record, she cannot make it to a meeting with this child because the fat bitch can't put down a sandwich for at least 2 seconds.

Kellz

Give me a break. You can't take an hour out of your "busy" schedule to cook a meal with a dying child. She is a self absorbed twit who thinks she's someone important. The only person she was important to was that 6 year old and now the one wish they had was denied. Definitely won't be tuning into that b**ches show.

candy

if anyone has facebook please share this story and get her azz kicked off food network and free up her PRECIOUS free time
loser bitch

MIDNIGHT TOKER

I bet this lady steps on spiders

JPAUL9999

She might be afraid she will eat the child my mistake, she is a big eater, I can tell. Hint. Hint.

Janice

That's very cold.

Christy Martin

This woman is so full of herself. How disgusting.

People should go to the Food Network Facebook page and comment on this story and/or share this link. It would be interesting to see how long it stays on there.

tanvee

This is horrible. There is no excuse for this at all. It was her choice to blow off this child and it is my choice never to watch her ever again!

GEL

While I do understand she probably does have a very busy schedule...BUT I also know make-a-wish would take the boy to her. I find it REALLY hard to believe she doesn't have an hour in her life somewhere for a dying child. I realize that there may be times she has to say no...but in my book this isn't one of the times she should have. Won't be watching her show anymore.

lalli

he'll have more fun swimming with dolphons than cooking with a whale. selfish troll.

lalli

he'll have more fun swimmming with dolphins than cooking with a whale. i won't watch her show anymore, selfish troll.