Celeb Chef -- Too Busy for 'Make-A-Wish' Kid

3/25/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Make-a-Wish Foundation had to break some bad news to a 6-year-old cancer patient this week ... when Food Network star Ina Garten informed them she was too busy to cook a meal with the boy ... TMZ has learned.

Ina Garten Enzo

A family member involved with the Make-A-Wish foundation tells us ... a little boy named Enzo was approached by the organization after he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia three years ago.

Enzo told Make-A-Wish ... he really wanted to cook with the "Barefoot Contessa" host because he would often watch the show with his mother while resting in bed.

M.A.W. approached Garten with the wish last year ... but at the time, she was unable to meet with Enzo due to a book tour.  The organization urged Enzo to pick another wish, but he told them he wanted to wait until she becomes available.

We're told the organization went back to Ina this year ... but her team responded with a "definite no" ... once again, citing scheduling conflicts.

A member of Enzo's family says the 6-year-old is heartbroken ... and asked parents, "Why doesn't she want to meet me?"

When we called Make-A-Wish for comment on this story, they told us, "From time to time, planning for wishes doesn't turn out as originally envisioned, despite people’s best intentions and efforts throughout the wish-granting process."

They noted that Ina is a "good friend" of the foundation.

A rep for Garten tells us, "Despite her demanding schedule, [Ina] participates and helps as many organizations as she can throughout the year, helping children and adults like Enzo with life threatening and compromising illnesses.

The rep continues, "Unfortunately, as much as she would like to, it's absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives."

We're told Enzo has now made a new wish -- he wants to swim with dolphins ... and he's already taking lessons to make his dream come true.

sara

how about a big fat f*** her!! I will NOT watch her show anymore.. she alwasys seemed like a stuck up b**** anyway!!! Now I know.

t

Wow, so many problems with this whole situation. First, it sucks that Ina Garten wouldn't meet with him, but perhaps she has personal reasons for not wanting to. However, she should have said "No" from the start, not gone with an excuse. 2nd, who let the kid know she doesn't want to meet him? That never should have happened whether it was from MAW or his parents. I'm guessing it was his parents since this all has now been leaked to TMZ. 3rd, leaking this to TMZ is in poor taste. Its blackmail to still try and get her to meet the kid. Look, it would be nice if every celebrity had time to do things like this with their fans but the truth is, they are people just like us, and are flawed.

Politically Incorrect

I'm reading more and more comments on this, and CANNOT BELIEVE how many HATERS there are!!! From what I gather, this chef ALREADY DOES ALOT TIME TO CHARITIES, IS NICE TO PEOPLE, and she turned down this organization THE 1ST TIME. So, Make A Wish, & the child's parents/family COULDN'T GET THIS KID TO CHOOSE ANOTHER "WISH????!!!" GEEEEZ...how many kids, (sick children included) GET SUCH AN OPPORTUNITY to have (almost) ANY wish they want granted?!?! COME ON, PEOPLE! If YOU were this child's parent...wouldn't you (after the request was turned down) tell your child that he had a GREAT OPPORTUNITY...just make another wish?!? A charity such as Make A Wish LED THE KID AND THE PARENTS ON...WAITING A YEAR?!? This is AWFUL! A good opportunity TURNED BAD..REALLY BAD! This child also appears to be pandered to...mislead...and SPOILED ROTTEN!!! Now look...the kid NOW GETS TO SWIM W/DOLPHINS. HOW MANY KIDS GET SUCH OPPORTUNITIES...really? This situation COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED....easily avoided.

Now, because a chef (NOT IN THE CHILDREN BUSINESS) WHO ALREADY DOES GOOD DEEDS AND IS NICE AND GIVING TO PEOPLE, doesn't capitulate to Make A Wish Foundation's GUILT GOADING tactics....A NICE WOMAN WILL BE HURT, VILLAINIZED, & POSSIBLY HER CAREER DESTROYED...over bullying, black-list tactics?

THIS JUST PROVES TO ME THE OLD ADAGE....NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED. Makes me SICK to my stomach. This story was borne of NEGATIVITY, and was meant to harm & destroy an otherwise hard-working, decent person. I HOPE KARMA COMES BACK TO KICK IN THE ASS all the "instant haters," (who just read the story & are SO READY TO PERSECUTE), Make A Wish Foundation & WHOEVER LEAKED THIS STORY TO THE MEDIA, & ANY AND ALL MEDIA OUTLETS THAT PERPETUATE such a negative story that has no good merit, and is aimed solely to DESTROY an otherwise nice, decent person in society.

When I finish my comments here, I'm going to go hit my knees and pray. I feel this world (America, in particular) is going to hell in a hand-basket. ALL THE NEGATIVITY, ALL THE HATERS...FOR NO GOOD REASON. I'm literally getting sick to my stomach!

Max

Oh please, like she has a hundred Make a Wish kids that she's taking care of. Listen up fatso, karma is a bitch. If I were you, I'd be taking care of every Make a Wish that is asked of you and be flattered about it!

Too busy to see a sick kid due to book signing and tv appearances??? Maybe she'll have more time once this story gets out and no one wants to see her anymore.

Eagle171

What a selfish horrible woman. I am appalled that she couldn't MAKE time for this kid. Perhaps cancel one of her Planned Parenthood fundraisers. I guess to her narrow mind, it's ok to help women abort babies, but not help one who is sick. Bitch.

Andyace

Doesn't look like she missed to many meals!

Lori

Stupid b#8ch. I am so pissed. I cannot believe for one minute she has NO time to see this child. And this is OUR fault. Everyone stop watching the ungrateful fat snob and put her back down to the bottom and she'll have time then. Woudn't want her SO busy that she has no time for the VERY people who made her who she is - Lets give her some time off - PERMANENTLY!!!!!

SUN

#136- stop making excuses for this woman... The child is dying, this is not about how much $$$$$ she gives to charity. I doubt she gets requests from many/any DYING children to meet her- so this is a lame excuse. ANYONE- who could turn away a dying child, is pathetic in my book. Not like she/we have lists of dying children who request to meet you/us- so any of us could take an hour to do this.

keithleslie

This douche bag's only claim to fame is a ****ty cooking show and she can't make a couple of hours to cook with a kid who probably doesn't have much longer to live. Her recipe's suck anyway. Enzo, I'm not famous, but I can cook. If you want to cook some food I'll come cook with you any time. Ina just lost two viewers here. I'll never watch her show again.

JB

I for one will never watch her show or buy anything she endorses. Hope you all do the same. Its complete BS that this women doesn't have 1 day for this kid. I urge you all to do the same.

SUN

Sorry, I meant #129

sPaNkDeNALgAs

Take it easy on Ina, guys. We don't know if that is the underlying cause of this (that she is too busy). Maybe she just couldn't handle the situation. We all have fears & I'm sure we would want them to be respected.

Susan

Will NEVER watch that fat biotch's show again -- hope she remebers what goes around comes around

Bob

Dear Food Network,

As my schedule continues to fill up, I find it necessary to reduce the amount of time on some tasks to increase it in other tasks. As a result, I find it necessary to not watch any more of the shows on your network, as you air the show Barefoot Contessa. It is a shame, as there are a number of shows that I enjoy.

However, the good news is that I now have free time in which I can do constructive tasks.

Bob

polly

She is such a bitch!! I HATE her show and now I loathe it and hope it goes down in the crapper. She turned down sweetheart Jennifer Garner because she doesn't tape with anyone but her friends. You can tell she is a rich bitch snob. Has she not ever heard the saying "What goes around, comes around"? This little boy just wanted an hour or less of her time and she can't grant that? No one is that busy. Boo to you Ina. You are pure evil!!