Celeb Chef -- Too Busy for 'Make-A-Wish' Kid

3/25/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Make-a-Wish Foundation had to break some bad news to a 6-year-old cancer patient this week ... when Food Network star Ina Garten informed them she was too busy to cook a meal with the boy ... TMZ has learned.

Ina Garten Enzo

A family member involved with the Make-A-Wish foundation tells us ... a little boy named Enzo was approached by the organization after he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia three years ago.

Enzo told Make-A-Wish ... he really wanted to cook with the "Barefoot Contessa" host because he would often watch the show with his mother while resting in bed.

M.A.W. approached Garten with the wish last year ... but at the time, she was unable to meet with Enzo due to a book tour.  The organization urged Enzo to pick another wish, but he told them he wanted to wait until she becomes available.

We're told the organization went back to Ina this year ... but her team responded with a "definite no" ... once again, citing scheduling conflicts.

A member of Enzo's family says the 6-year-old is heartbroken ... and asked parents, "Why doesn't she want to meet me?"

When we called Make-A-Wish for comment on this story, they told us, "From time to time, planning for wishes doesn't turn out as originally envisioned, despite people’s best intentions and efforts throughout the wish-granting process."

They noted that Ina is a "good friend" of the foundation.

A rep for Garten tells us, "Despite her demanding schedule, [Ina] participates and helps as many organizations as she can throughout the year, helping children and adults like Enzo with life threatening and compromising illnesses.

The rep continues, "Unfortunately, as much as she would like to, it's absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives."

We're told Enzo has now made a new wish -- he wants to swim with dolphins ... and he's already taking lessons to make his dream come true.

Cathy

Not to worry she will be in front lines praying for her own life to God someday, and then she will remember maybe she could have spent 5 minutes instead sending her husband to the store… not watching her program again… food network you should be ashamed of yourselves ~!!!
After those children have pasted in front of her and then she won’t be busy to grasp what she has done..

mary

Ditch the Bitch

Tina Theriault

I bet if this was Donald Trump, Martha Stewart or even the president she would find the time (because they're important people with money behind their name). I see Ina in a whole new way now and it's not a good one.

JKS

There is no excuse...even if her time was limited and his health permitted, an invitation for him to appear with her on her show would have been a workable solution. I give it to the little guy..he still likes her..
Ms Barefoot Chef..get a grip...a child's wish is to meet you of all the wishes he could possibly have..you are a piece of work....

me

Typical Bitch...now she's only worried because it may affect her money..not surprised...

B. Williams

What a fat snob I use to watch her show from time to time, no more.

Toby

Some of you guys are really mean ._. Everyone calling her names is being worse than anything she has or hasn't said or done. Take a chill pill, people. Instead of griping about who did or didn't do something, focus instead on hoping and praying that Enzo gets better faster :)

Ger

she looks like Rosanne Barr; whacha expect? Bitch.

sophieterrito

HOW DARE YOU! U FAT LAZY BITCH!

sophieterrito

you're only going to meet him after you've been ousted! SHAME ON YOU!!! i'll NEVER watch youy again and tell everyone know to do the same! your show isn't that popular! scheduling issues my ass! you jusy didn't want to be bothered until you got "outed" he may forgive you, but your fans won't!)Your show wasn't that great anyway, i only watched it once in a while, like most people, not just the one's i know who did watch your show, occasionally! again, U SHOULD B ASHAMED! GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY! I feel sorry 4 u!

Phyllis De Nicola

I'm not the slightest bit surprised. Recently I was waiting on line at the Javits Center in NYC as was Ina I mentioned to her that I loved her show and I was met with an annoying glance.
All she had to do was say Thank You and move on.
I've never watched her show or used her recipe book since.

anita tan

i agree with no 6comments

mull

she tapes her show at her VERY LARGE estate...she portrays her lifestyle as one uppetty party after another...she needs a reality check because it is obvious that she has little compassion for the child...she cant be a "good friend" of MAW if this is how she rolls. If she knew of the child a year ago and still has no time for him...I am glad that I am a better cook than she is; that I love children and would do whatever I could to help a sick child. Oh hey, maybe she and Martha S should reconnect on a social network site for celebs with ginormous egos that in reality show what there are truly made of!

Dana

SAD!SAD!SAD! Ina you should remember who is buying your cookbooks, watching your shows ETC. Its a 6 year old. Try giving back a bit, it will make you feel good!!

Betty Decker

She should be ashamed of her self if it was not for people like this boy she wold not have a show. She is not a nice person

Previous 15 Comments | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments