Geraldine Ferraro Dies

3/26/2011 2:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Geraldine Ferraro, the first major female vice presidential candidate, died today of complications from blood cancer at Massachusetts General Hospital. She was 75.

0326_Geraldine_Ferraro_GETTY_BN
Ferraro, a Democrat, was Walter Mondale's running mate in the 1984 presidential election. She served in the U.S. House of Representatives for six years before that, representing New York's 9th Congressional District.

According to a statement from her family, she died surrounded by loved ones after battling multiple myeloma for twelve years.

kc

My condolences and prayers to anyone who has had to deal w/ multiple myeloma. My father was diagnosed with this cancer in 2002, the same year my brother was diagnosed with stage 4 non-hodgkins lymphoma. My brother only lasted 6 months. My father is still alive, but in a lot of pain. Cancer is a horrible disease, and the second leading cause of death in the United States.

Lisa

I was too young to really know about (or get involved in) her politics, but I do remember being rivited because she was a woman, and thinking we'd probably never get any closer than she and Shirley Chisolm got. Trailblazer indeed. RIP Ms. Ferraro. And thank you.

dONNA JOHNSON

a classy women in a class of her own, condolenses to family

Meomy

I may not have agreed with her politics, but, she was always a class act. Thoughts and prayers to her family

Sonya in Tx

"If Barack Obama weren't black, where would he be???"

Geraldine Ferarro on national TV trying to save Hillary Clinton's failing presidential run in 2008. Good riddance as far as I'm conerned....she's a racist......

Grandma of Four

My 68 year old husband was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2004. He met Geradine Ferarro at a MM meeting. She has done so much for MM in asking for research funding for meds for this very painful cancer. My hubby is a Republican but he was so impressed with her passion in trying to do what she was able to do for MM patients! He has been sad all day. We live blood test to blood test and so far, so good even though he is not in remission. However, he would not have had such success with his meds had Geraldine Ferarro not have campaigned for them!

Grandma of Four

MP

Very sad. She was truly a pioneer.

sandiegoprincess

sad. my momma had the same cancer, multiple myeloma & she only lived 2 years after her diagnosis. geraldine was diagnosed right around the same time my momma was and lived so much longer, i wonder if having $$ makes a difference when it comes to cancer treatments...

her

When she accepted the VP nom I was in the 4th grade. My household was strictly Republican, and Reagan/Bush all the way. At 10 yrs old, I was too young to have political philosophies. What she gave me then was the sight of a woman, even if on the "other side," for the first time ever running for national office. It was inevitable that at some point some woman would hold that role. It happened to be her. And the world is a better place because of it. She made it believable at that time that someday Hillary Clinton or Condoleezza Rice could be taken seriously in politics and high offices! So, regardless of which side of the political spectrum you fall on, to dismiss her relevance because her political views were different than yours is missing the point. She inspired millions of girls AND boys, and showed them it was perfectly normal for a woman to be in that role.

barneybush

she was a biggot in the Peter King mold. RIP

Lorraine

She was a great inspiration to many. She made us girls believe we could do anything, even be president. :)

Steve

Good riddens!!

Ken

I was diagnosed with MM last August. I had lesions on my hip (8) and one on my shoulder. After radiation to shrink the tumors I had to have my hip replaced. It ate a big hole in it. I started treatment after that with Revlimid and Velcade. I was stage 3 and it wqas agressive. After 6 and 1/2 weeks of this theropy I was in complete remission. I finished the treatment and am going to do stem-cell transplant in a couple of weeks. I am still in remission and have none in my bone marrow either. So, just to let you guys know there is hope for this desease. It is sad to see someone go with the same thing I have though. This cancer can be beat !!!!!! I am going to prove that !!!!! God bless !!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4