Little People Sue 'The Soup'

They Defamed Us!

3/29/2011 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A  dwarf couple is suing E! Entertainment and "The Soup" host Joel McHale, claiming they made scurrilous, false, defamatory and hurtful comments about them.

032911_joel_mchale_e_ex_2
Cara and Gibson Reynolds are dwarfs who struggled for years to have children. One child died a day after birth, but they were finally able to conceive a healthy baby.

The Reynolds' did an interview with the Associated Press about dwarf couples who want to screen their embryos for genetic defects in an effort to intentionally have healthy, dwarf children.  They say the article and photo of them was limited to the AP article (reprinted on MSNBC.com).

0329_cara_gibson_reynolds_AP
Fast forward to 2009, when McHale and company did a spoof on "The Soup" titled, "Fertile Little Tattooed Pageant Parents Who Enjoy Baking."  McHale said it was the newest reality show, and then proceeded to show the AP photo of the Reynolds, saying they are "happy dwarfs ... that can't stop procreating."

And it got worse.  "The Soup" then allegedly showed a woman purported to be Cara in labor, in the process of giving birth in a bathroom.

Cara claims the piece was so upsetting, she suffered, "depression, insomnia, upset stomach, sleep interference and experiencing feelings of shame and degradation."

The Reynolds are suing for defamation and invasion of privacy.

We could not immediately reach E! for comment.

0329_celebrity_little_people_footer

DUDE

FI Biker... NICE 1 ! AWWWW...go ahead ,let the bitch.

Midget's die young anyway.

Hard to complain when your "3 FEET UNDER" Ha ha.

DUDE

MIKEY...make it Buffet style... then they can't reach the food ...your profet margin is HUGE !!

scott

Here is how you do it if your an old schooler from the south...
Take a flight out there and walk up to that punk and punch him in the face. That's what he needs for talking **** behind a camera
The United States is filled with ******* like him...put sme more hair gel in and go suck another **** Tosh, i mean McHale

debbiedoesnothing

To all the idiots who are saying they shouldn't have put themselves out there. They DID NOT DO a reality show. McHale made that up. They did one article with one picture for the Associated Press. McHale lifted that picture and totally made up the crap about a reality show. These people are not Kardashians or even "Little People Big World." They didn't deserve this. And all the "little" "short" "small" jokes are just plain, old-fashioned bigotry.

SantaFeJack

ALERT THE MEDIA!!!! The comments on this story are by far the funniest and most sensible I've ever read on TMZ!

MP

I'm so sick of greedy people suing just to make a buck. I hope they lose and are forced to pay all court costs.

Virtual Insanity

Question-- they screened the embryos for "healthy, dwarf children?" Does that mean they screened for a healthy baby or that they screen for a healthy baby and screen to assure the baby was a dwarf? If the latter is true, then I think its morally reprehensible. I'm sure I'll get flack, but I think its cruel to subject a child to a life with a condition that affects their physical health and social and emotional well-being. Very cruel. Maybe I read it wrong...I hope so.

Off my soapbox-- carry on.

Marty

I thought this would be an interesting article so I read it. I then became infatuated with the photo of Cara.

I began to fantasize about Cara and I together and got slightly DEPRESSED, then I tried to take a nap but I COULDN'T SLEEP. When I got out of bed, I felt slightly SICK TO MY STOMACH. I just couldn't figure out why something had INTERFERED WITH MY SLEEP.

I then had an inappropriate thought about Cara and immediately felt SHAME and terribly DEGRADED.

I smell a lawsuit! No wait, I had a hot dog for lunch, I just burped.

Virtual Insanity

My above post should say screened, not screen....sorry, I was shocked by the whole screening thing.

Superman

I don't see the difference of this than anything other comics, like Tosh.O, Colbert, and Jon Stewart, have done. First, many (if not, all) news sites take from the AP photos without being sued. The couple may have a case if "The Soup" made it out that she was giving birth in a bathroom and it wasn't true, but as I said many comics, including late-night TV hosts, have done the same without being sued. And why wait 2 years to sue?

Karen

Way to keep yorselves out of the media you trolls....by suing a major network channel...

Superman

Off my soapbox-- carry on.

Posted at 10:24 AM on Mar 29, 2011 by Yes
----------------------

I agree. I don't know if this couple was just making comments about other dwarf couples or they were doing it themselves. I would hope ALL parents would want their children to have better, healthier lives than they had, but obviously, in this current selfish world, that is not the case.

Ru4REAL

people need to learn "if u go on tv ur going to be talked about good and bad stuff will be said. i hate when people start bitchin when they go on tv that people are talking **** THATS WAT PEOPLE DO GET OVER IT. A JOKE IS A JOKE IF U DONT LIKE IT DONT PUT URSELF IN THE SPOT LIGHT

Chrystal

Sound like they are a "Little" angry with E! and Joel McHale. Seriously, sounds to me they saw a way to make a quick buck. Ridiculous! Don't put yourself out in the public eye if you can't handle being talked about. I hope they get nothing out of this lawsuit....If they do everyone will start suing "The Soup" because they make fun of everyone. I do love the show!

norm abrams

I went to Starbucks this morning. There was a dwarf in front of me in line. She ordered a TALL latte. I started laughing so hard coffee shot out of my nose. I said "TALL? sistah?" Oh puhleez.